The Dark Mod Forums

Thief 4

Tushaar

• 5 months later...
that quote about fans not being disappointed

Is as meaningless as the nightly news -- manufactured, vacuous, and absolutely insignificant.

I'm disappointed that anybody involved with the game would say something so intelligence-insulting.

"A Rhapsody Of Feigned And Ill-Invented Nonsense" - Thomas Aikenhead, On Theology, ca. 1696

Virtually all of commerce is selfish, greedy, and above all, hypocritical; it is their general mode of operation. What would you think of an acquaintance that is constantly bragging, misleading, deceiving, trying to get your money, while giving you as little as possible? Some would say it is unavoidable in a free market. So you are likely to spend a lot of time being disappointed. Bit like me really.

What's disappointing about it is that it actually shows no understanding of who the fans of this series are... we're exactly not the kind of idiots who would buy into such clap-trap-sales-speak (bullshit).

So, really? It has the opposite effect in a meta kinda waya.

"A Rhapsody Of Feigned And Ill-Invented Nonsense" - Thomas Aikenhead, On Theology, ca. 1696

I dunno, man. Look at some of the most hyped games or movies out there that disappointed fans a lot. Of course everyone with access to mass media (like TV, magazines or websites) has the possibility to make an informed decision about buying or not buying a product. However, many many people just follow the hype and buy a product, without really thinking this though. I'm sure everyone of us has had that experience at least once in his/her life. 

Just look at Thief 3. I myself just bought the game, without listeing to the very critical reviews, simply because I was so happy that the third and final part of the series was out (and because of the screenshots, because real-time shadows ROCK!). And I was among the many many fans who were sorely disappointed. I won't make the same mistake with T4, but I absolutely see that many of the Thief fans out there will buy the game once it is out - regardless of the reviews.

My Eigenvalue is bigger than your Eigenvalue.

best way to judge how good thief 4 is likely to be is to play dx 3 as its the same crystal dynamics engine, although if stealth in dx 3 is dependent on line of sight and hiding in shadows doesn't work, does that mean stealth in thief 4 will be the same hide from line of sight stealth or will hiding in shadows actually work, cos if you cant hide in shadows in thief 4 then it isn't thief 4, its some line of sight clone.

It shouldn't be too hard to implement a light-based stealth system; not exactly rocket science for a programmer I suppose. Also, was the original DX light-based? The terrorists/MJ12/commandos always spotted me if they saw me in the darkness; I learned it very early that a Thief style approach wouldn't work. Most of them also had what looked like nightvision goggles. If light had an effect on their sight, it was a subtle component of stealth, not the main focus.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

you could hide in shadows in dx but the goggles the enemy had would let them see your heat signature, so they could see you in the shadows, but they could also hear where you were from where the shots came from if you missed them if they moved just before being shot at. I spent most of the time in dx in some vent if it was available.

• 2 months later...

I just read the newest gamestar. The team visited Eidos Montreal for Deus Ex.

1. - They saw a wall-filling storyboard + scenaria course (ok - no big news)

2. - according to this 'thing' Thief 4 has about of 10 hours gameplay

(Page 23)

I mean - What the fuck? That's 3-4 Missions :(

If it stars the girl from T3, they could call it Thief: Tiffany the traitorous Taffer. She was raised to become a keeper, but decided to use the skills for "other goals in life".The game could have a feature where she disguises as one of the guards, Team Fortress style. Then she sneaks up behind the guards and knifes them in the back and they explode (again team fortress style).

As a Thief fan, doing that in Team Fortress always made me cackle like a maniac... especially when the other player thought I was on his team.

Edited by lost_soul

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.

A good full-sized mission should take in the neighborhood of 2+ hours, so yeah, 10 hours isn't long enough to flesh out a whole game.

I can only hope they meant that as a direct run, like the bare minimum to complete a mission where you're not exploring (for that matter, I hope there's some world to actually explore).

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Not sure how I feel about that. On one hand, you do have a point that they may withhold an editor to get people to buy DLC, but on the other, look at Doom or Quake. I doubt these games would be as relevant today if they had been closed-up blobs that nobody could produce maps for. I seem to recall some quote from John Carmack that making the games editable was the right decision to make, even though others at the company disagreed at the time.

Edited by lost_soul

OH NO! - just when I hear the word DLC ... but it will come... there have to be side stories (in the T4 campaign) to be completed...

if they release an editor, they will do it after one year - before that time they will give us some dlc.. ;( - just what I believe

but I would rather have a FULL LENGTH THIEF GAME rather than a half-length one where I have to wait months and pay more money to get an extra level, then wait more months and pay more money for another level, etc.

If that's what happens I MIGHT just be pissed enough to not buy it (not saying I wouldn't PLAY it...)

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

... and don't forget that if a game goes the DLC route, you may NEVER get to see the rest of it. Just look at Sin:Episodes. They released the first one, then went out of business. The fans then get no more content.

It is why I will always want a full, complete product.

Edited by lost_soul

If Eidos Montreal are still finishing up DX3, Thief 4 will be some way off, unless there is already a committed team building assets and whatnot. But the potential problem with the editor is that the engine is supposed to be heavily reliant on static meshes imported from a modelling application. That means even if there is an editor, it may be a Thief 3 style one where you have to know modelling to get anywhere - if you are a newbie, you'll have to learn two applications in place of one, not to mention getting stuff from one to the other.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved