The Dark Mod Forums

Builder Haunts?

oDDity

Are we just using the same model as the Builder guard, but with a skull for a face like they did in Thief, or are you thinking of doing some specific artwork.

Haunts are supposed to be undead Hammers/Builders, so it makes sense they'd be wearing the same gear.

I could give him a skull face and hands, make the armour old and rusted wth holes, and tattered cloth.

Are they basically skeletons wearing armour, So if I tatter the leg cloth, you can see the leg bones inside?

Is it also true that the hammer priests become ghosts and not haunts?

There's a very simple effect you can do in doom to make charcaters look ghosly - just add the word transparent in the shader. I suppose we'd need some sort of 'blue glowie' effect on top of that.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A rotten corpse would make them zombies then. I think they are just bare bones - they are too old to have any flesh on them.

Also I think our haunts should be immue to weapons except fire arrows, holy water and explosive mines.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

I never really understood the justification for haunts. If they are undead builders, why are they using swords? Where do they get them?

I agree with you, oDDity, that they should be fairly skeletal. We could always say that they are the corpses of ancient builders, before the hammer became the traditional weapon. So their armour should be similar but not identical. That will also free up FM authors to use them in other environments.

I'm thinking of haunts as the elite guards of the undead, so I'm all for making them harder to kill.

Haunts donj't make sense from many angles, but then the whole idea of undead is nonsensical anyway, so we shouldn't try to think it out logically.

Chains are good because then the chain rattle SFX make sense. A few bits of broken, rusted chain hanging round their neck or waist would be good.

Realistically, they wouldn't be able to wear any armour if they're skeletons, since their gloves, boot, and chainmail greaves would fall off, so what they'd look like is a skeleton with body armour, a tattered skirt and upper arm cloth, and chains hanging around them.

- Emil Zola

character models site

Haunts donj't make sense from many angles, but then the whole idea of undead is nonsensical anyway, so we shouldn't try to think it out logically.

Chains are good because then the chain rattle SFX make sense. A few bits of broken, rusted chain hanging round their neck or waist would be good.

Realistically, they wouldn't be able to wear any armour if they're skeletons, since their gloves, boot, and chainmail greaves would fall off, so what they'd look like is a skeleton with body armour, a tattered skirt and upper arm cloth, and chains hanging around them.

:) I quite like that image.

Yeah, i did do a simple concept, though only the sjull area actually ended up looking any good. Lemme find it.

here it is

haunt1.jpg

I like the way you would describe them though, it would be much more fitting than the way they were in thief, which was just a hammerite body with a different face.

Edited by god_is_my_goldfish

http://www.thirdfilms. com

A Thief's Path trailer is now on Youtube!

We certainly *could* justify them logically if we wanted to, but it's pointless other than from a campaign point of view, I agree.

Is it possible to create models with interchangeable weapons? That way FM authors can give them hammers or swords as they choose.

One suggestion, just for effect...what if all the 'hammer' symbols have been scratched off the Haunt's armor? As if they died in disgrace and had all holy symbols removed or destroyed before burial. Burying them with a rusty sword could be some kind of symbol of dishonour (so that they can only present a rusted tool to the Master Builder when they arrive in the Afterlife, or something).

"One suggestion, just for effect...what if all the 'hammer' symbols have been scratched off the Haunt's armor? As if they died in disgrace and had all holy symbols removed or destroyed before burial. Burying them with a rusty sword could be some kind of symbol of dishonour (so that they can only present a rusted tool to the Master Builder when they arrive in the Afterlife, or something)."

i like that idea a lot

...but then the whole idea of undead is nonsensical anyway, so we shouldn't try to think it out logically.

The world that J.R.R Tolkien created is nonsensical, yet it has a detailed history that affects the details in the story that was set. Elves have a whole language, cultures have customs, etc.

We certainly *could* justify them logically if we wanted to, but it's pointless other than from a campaign point of view, I agree.

But it can affect the details - how they look, how they fight, what weapon they use. And then you can read about the details in the game.

It helps you "beleive" in the fantasy world that is being created around you.

No amount of logic explains how skeletons can walk around propelled by evil sprirts. Don't even bother trying. In the end the basic principle is just silly. One idea is as good as another when they're all ridiculous.

- Emil Zola

character models site

No amount of logic explains how skeletons can walk around propelled by evil sprirts.

That is true for our world. But if we create a new universe, then it should be logical from that Universe's point of view, and it should be logical in that universe.

So it makes sense to expalin how they fit in the world that we try to create, but it doesn't make sense to try to exaplain how they would work in our world.

Gerhard

You're right, we don't have to, which is lucky for us. Just like we don't have to explain exactly how the boilerbots move, or think, or process visual stimuli. We can say, "They've mechanical" and pretty much leave it at that.

For our *campaign*, we may want to explain some of these things in more detail. But even that may not be necessary. LGS never explained why Haunts are the way they are, and no one had a problem with it. We don't have to be Tolkien. :)

I'd like to say that reading about the workings of various things in the Thief world (mechanist documentation, magical lore) really really helped me become absorbed in the world of Thief. And I'd look at the boiler bot or whatever, in a new way.

I just want to say that its worth taking a "slightly logical" approach. Like sparhawk said, "logical within the confines of our fantasy world".

Like I said, no need to go all out and explain every detail of magic or something (what curse was involved, what ingredients were used) but on the other end of the scale, I don't think it's good to take a "It's fantasy, so it doesn't matter what crap we think up" approach.

I agree, although we don't really need to do that for the toolkit as much as the campaign.