The Dark Mod Forums

Builder Haunts?

oDDity

I know that Spring considers background information as a waste of time

Are you getting some kind of pleasure out of misquoting me? Because you've been doing it a lot lately. I'm starting to take it personally.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Something about his cheek (shape), upper teeth/jaw (too long?) and eye sockets (not mean enough) bothered me a might. What do you think of these very slight changes? (Compare 1 vs. 2). I would've created an animated GIF to make seeing the changes easier, but I don't have the tools. I was just messing around with the 3rd one, but thought I'd post anyways.

3. Just Playing:

skel3.jpg

I like the third one. I'll make a note fof it for the low res verson textures.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

Oh, unholy shit! Didn't see this till now, but I am floored. Previous models have been jawdroppers for sure, but this goes to another place altogether. Holy crap! If it ends up looking even close to that in-game, this fella's going to be legendary. Yes, I'm leaving that up to interpretation.

Couldn't agree more Sneaksie. :) This is going to be terrifying ingame. I can't wait to do the Haunt Vocal sets. It's total inspiration. :)

Haunt vocal sets? Surely they'll just be those creepy whispering/backwards laughing SFX from the original games. I think we should try and emulate those as closely as possible, because I don't think they can be improved upon.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

And I say fuck it - if you've got it, flaunt it.

This model is probably going to look significanty different in game anyway. It's going to be particularly difficult to convert this to low poly. THis is just a general concept of my ideas.

Can we actually use the term 'haunt'? It's as unique to Thief as hammers or mechanists, so I don't see how we can.

True, true :) This is ultimately for the FMs. They'll need to know what we have in it eventually.

I did a 'final' version of this concept pic. If we are going to show it, then show this version. I think we should. It's this sort of kick ass stuff that get people's attention. Maybe we should leave it for a while though. I think we aggree once a month is enough for showing goodies, and it's only a couole of weeks since we released the trailer.

post-5-1105927400.jpg

- Emil Zola

character models site

Can we actually use the term 'haunt'? It's as unique to Thief as hammers or mechanists, so I don't see how we can.

In the documentation we probably should avoid calling it a "Haunt" although FM authors certainly will. As for the documentation/filename, calling it some other undead name (I personally like Revenant) would suffice.

Thanks for taking this into account. I know that Spring considers background information as a waste of time, but I think that it will have a big impact on the modelers and the proof can be seen here. Knowing what a model went through to become what it is today, means that you can model the game world in a much more consistent way, then just treating each model as a model itself. And the haunt looks fantastic the way it is! :)

I'm so glad there are people other than myself who feel this way about "background info" :) :)

Especially for being scared, I feel more scared the more "real" it feels. Which is why I found The Ring really scarey (you could look into all the reasons the things were happening if you payed attention to the movie), but not it's cheesy "b grade horror movie" sequel, "The Grudge", which just had things in there because "they looked scarey" and no other reason <_<. It was so try-hard.

Well oDDity, undead never looked like this in a game. This is going to be cool.

And I agree with Darkness and Spar - we should be holding back things for surprises. Seeing this stuff before it's been "properly introduced" in the game, is like skipping to the end of a novel.

A guy as scarey and cool as this, needs a whole build up, to get you way scared before you even SEE him. All this literature you can read about what happened, and peoples diaries saying they're seeing things, and then one that ends in the middle of writing, and all that stuff... :)

dear oDDity

just another oDDity classic...I especially liked the texturing. I think you are master of texturing as well.This is Top notch.

After seeing Lightwave's texturing best sellers books i URGE you to THINK seriously about writing LW book or making video tutorials... This is a masterpiece a lesson.. Im forcing myself to find some weak points There is none...if i force myself insanely to tell something i might say "the boots.."

You may make it more used and old.CUz the chains are very old and rusty but his boots are so clean..that s the only thing...Other than that..It s on my Desktop..!

BEST

i dont think its wise to release all our top quality models (the 'made by Oddity' models:) )

...lets leave some surprises...at least not that skeleton which's first sight would be more terrifying in-game than on the website:D

yes the fmauthors will see it anyway but not only the authors will play tdm fm-s..

Edited by _Atti_

This model is the scariest/best model i saw since a long long time... really premium class...

and it looks more scary than all monster models together from Doom 3...

It would be a pleasure for me to make an environment for this model...

• 2 months later...

Started gettig it in-game now.

THere's going to be a serious problem with the transparency alpha maps though. Doom doesn't recognise them when it casts shadows, so all you see the big solid black shadow of the uderlying geometry.

This model has quite a bit of alpha transparency in it (it;s either that or add an extra few thousand polys). I'm going to have to bake in some shadows, like the chains for example. I'l l probably have to turn the shadows off for the tattered skirt.

post-5-1111535616.jpg

- Emil Zola

character models site

Looking good so far.

Btw, did we ever decide on a name for them? I was thinking perhaps "sword wraith". For some reason that's what I always called the Haunts in T1 anyway, and wraith is a common enough creature name.

The Revenants are the skeletons in Doom that fire homing missiles. :)

That looks great oDDity. I'm working of the St Attica mission now so thanks for the shot of inspiration. I'll work in the idea about the Haunts being drowned in chains. Remember to have red mist spewing from their mouths when they spot you... aiie!