The Dark Mod Forums

Builder Haunts?

oDDity

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I only know this because I was a forum lurker whore on the Unreal Tournament : Infiltration forums for so long.

I believe it somehow also makes distances in front of you look shorter than they actually are (like 100m away will look like 80m), but I'm not sure how that works.

Yeah, the problem I'm getting is that D3 thinks the collision model was not "properly" loaded, whatever the fuck that means.

It the default collision model or whatever it loaded certainly works well enough to do collision detection in combat, but apparently not well enough to tell if it bumps into the player???

EDIT: It definitely needs a .cm file for this. Do you guys know how to make a .cm file? I remember hearing that you could just import the model/AF into D3 and it would export a .cm file for you.. is this correct? IF so, can we do this for the Revenant?

Edited by Ishtvan

How accurate doesn it have to be?

There's a limit of 32 faces I think. You just make the models in and give it the movable_clip shader in it's mtr file.

Does the clip model have to follow the shape of the arms and legs? If he's moving does the clip model follow the animations or what? If you make a box around his legs in the stance pose, and then one of the animations makes him stick his leg straight out, will it no longer be in the clip area?

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

I don;t' understand how this works on IA models though, becasue I can't see any cm files for any of the monsters in doom, and they also don't have shaders pointing the the monster_clip texture whch I suppose their clip model uses.

THere is also no indication of a clip model when you select it and look in its properties, or in its def file. So where do these cip models go?

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

It looks like it somehow poses the AF, so maybe it uses a polygon for every separate part of the model, like legs, arms, etc, and then based on the animation it calculates how the arms/legs are posed and moves those bounding boxes exactly?

Btw this is no longer a higher priority... I found another way to code it.

As to where the clip models go, they are in a file. ".cm" I think it's called, of the same name as the model. Don't ask how I know that.. I just remember seeing it somewhere when I was trying to get the clipmodel for doors or something :)

Edited by Ishtvan

There's info on creating clip models in the Doom 3 forums. I think they're fairly important because they're a middle ground betweenl

Bounding box collisions - super fast, but its a box, so its not super accurate.

Polygonal collisoin - the game finds no clip model so it creates one during the game, based on the actual polygons of the real mesh. This is WAY more detailed than it needs to be for collision (will you really notice which nostril your arrow hit??) and slows down computers unessecarily.

CMs are like a realy really low poly version of the mesh.

Edited by Domarius

The CM nneds to be a rough boxlike setup to follow the outline of the model better then just a box would do. The more detail the better collision but less performance (obviously). For characters IMO it would suffice to create boxes around the arms, legs, torso and head (sphere).

Gerhard

I read in one tut at Doomworld that the maximum faces for a cm is 16, in another thread it says 32.

Just another symtom of having no documentation and having to rely on gossip.

- Emil Zola

character models site

THat's just basics though, it never tells you want you really need to know. Its just the work of one guy. He told me the devs at id will be doing proper documentation next time - so I assume that means Quake 4.

- Emil Zola

character models site

If he was jking, it wasn't a very funny one.

-Quote -

The biggest problem was there was no real documentation as we worked. Everything you see on idDevNet was written in the months between when we shipped the gold master to Activision and the time the SDK hit the internet. That's a lot of documentation for one guy to write in a couple months (especially since I could only work on it about 2-3 days a week).

This is changing for the next project. We established a set of standards for programmers to write documentation for a feature at the same time he adds the feature. This will not only help the mod community, but also helps the artists, level designers, and other programmers here at id. We're also integrating that documentation into Radiant, which really helps encourage people to use it.

You also must realize, a lot of things didn't get documented because we simply didn't use them. No documentation on modifying gravity? That's because we never modify gravity. No documentation on how to get an animated model from max? That's because we don't animate in max. id makes games first, tools/engines second.

Edited by oDDity

- Emil Zola

character models site

I think what he means by this is, that from the programmers point of view, the priority is clearly on coding the game and everything related to it. From the context I can understand it as such. It simply means that the game has to be shipped, but documenting the tools is not a priority.

"Making" includes everything not just coding in this context (and usually excluding docs), which is exactly my experience from (almost) all companies I worked for so far. :)

Gerhard

So I guess model makers have a decision to make, and the route Oddity has chosen (and apparently a lot of other professional modelers) is to assume the player will usually be looking eye to eye with the model.

I actually crouch may way through Thief. Honestly. So already large boots will look even bigger? Envision a sign hanging at the entrance to the mansion: 'No hobbits allowed' :)

Well, out thief is only a skinny liitle 5' 6" guy anyway. Think Michael J Fox or Jon Bon Jovi.. Everyone looks big and menacing to him. Just imagine when you see the big 6' 6" elite guards towering over you, holdng swords you could barely lift, ready to kill you in one hit.

- Emil Zola

character models site

Oh, I think I juts saw why these guys (revenants) aren't playing their pain animation... in the def for the model:

channel torso  (  )

channel legs  ( *Hips origin )

It seems it has no anim channel defined for the torso.. so animations on the torso are not playing. If I knew how to fix it I would...