Noisycricket

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...

Im sorry im taking so long on the sleep animations. I'm taking advantage of the sunny whether to do some much needed car maintenance.

Couple questions:

1. Do we still need the sleep placeholders, or squill, are you working on the real ones?

2. I changed the SitDwn.ma and SitUp.ma so that the origin moves rather than the hips, do you want me to upload them?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm not sure how up to date the list is, but we've got about three more weeks to add any animations before we package for release. Are we missing anything really important? How about turning animations and the pauldron issue for the citywatch?

That idle animation fits into my idea of the thief universe a little better. Perhaps it should be put up for vote since it is such a commonly seen element.

About the bow animations......I should have some time now to get them done.

It's not a problem to have more than one "idle" anim (idle1, idle2, ...) - the only thing to watch out is that the pose of the first and last frames are matching the current idle anim (for blending to other idle anims), this should be enough, shouldn't it?

Does everyone want more than one? If Arcturus and I were any indication, we might prefer the single Arcturus animation. A vote thread would clear that up, but Im not going to make one since im just a contributor.

Lookng at that video brought up a question. Near the end of it, when the character looks up to the right, would there be any easy way to add an acceleration to the random movements so that they start and end slower, and would it look good, and would it be worth the effort?....just thinking out loud....trying to live up to my name. ;)

How about turning animations and the pauldron issue for the citywatch?

Almost done. last weeks were a bit busy but i'll sync them this week. With the pauldron issue you mean them moving along the shoulder? The last version of the animation rig moves the pauldrons once you animate the shoulders.

It's not a problem to have more than one "idle" anim (idle1, idle2, ...) - the only thing to watch out is that the pose of the first and last frames are matching the current idle anim (for blending to other idle anims), this should be enough, shouldn't it?

yes, if you change the current idle you'll have to update all other connected idle actions. I think the main issue mentioned here is that the current idle is a bit short and is seen most of the time. Small variations break up the somewhat generic motions of a single idle. I can make the current idle a bit longer with more subtle gestures.

yes, if you change the current idle you'll have to update all other connected idle actions. I think the main issue mentioned here is that the current idle is a bit short and is seen most of the time. Small variations break up the somewhat generic motions of a single idle. I can make the current idle a bit longer with more subtle gestures.

In my opinion current animation is too short, arms are swinging to much and whole character is moving to smoothly. Normally body makes small, random movements trying to keep balance while standing. Current idle could be renamed to idle_swinging or something.

It's only a model...

I see no problem with having two idles and letting the code randomly choose between them. That might keep nearby AI from swaying in sync.

With the pauldron issue you mean them moving along the shoulder? The last version of the animation rig moves the pauldrons once you animate the shoulders.

But that means redoing the existing animations that move the shoulders, correct? Or should I weight the pauldrons to the shoulder joints instead? Right now the pauldrons still aren't moving at all:

post-9-1247514096_thumb.jpg

But that means redoing the existing animations that move the shoulders, correct? Or should I weight the pauldrons to the shoulder joints instead? Right now the pauldrons still aren't moving at all:

not re-doing but re-exporting. You like to make it more complicated :P

Just some animations need to transferred to the last anim rig but not all animation need to be re-exported, only the ones with visible clipping.

i've updated that idle_eat animation for you to see.

Ok, i accidentally thought the idle_drunk was not assigned to anyone and I've got one 75% done. Squill, its assigned to you at the moment, have you completed one? I guess having two is better than one. I also assigned myself the the drunk_walk and plan on doing that as well.

Bah - my old anims are mostly ones that have been superceeded nowadays. I did the boot scuff one just today. I'm taking the warmhands one off you Noisycricket and working on it now.

We don't seem to have any "threaten" anims in our list - what's the deal with that, does the AI have the ability to call a "threaten" anim when they can't reach the player at the moment?

Last time I looked they didn't. No reason in theory why they couldn't if we decided we wanted some, though. It would need a coder to look at implementing it, and the animation would have to delay the bottle-throwing part of their behaviour; otherwise it would get interrupted by the throwing animation.

There are still plenty of other animations to do, I'm sure? :)

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

Ok, i accidentally thought the idle_drunk was not assigned to anyone and I've got one 75% done. Squill, its assigned to you at the moment, have you completed one? I guess having two is better than one. I also assigned myself the the drunk_walk and plan on doing that as well.

No i haven't started on that one. I'm still finishing the turn animations which should be done today. I've set myself to do the Walk_blind, Sit_reading and Cower to do next. I think i'll first update the idle after the turns.

I am pretty sure the Priest and Females also miss some animations, so if someone feels bored? :)

Anyway, thanx to the animators for your work, it is invaluable!

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax