The Dark Mod Forums

Current animation schedules

Noisycricket

I uploaded a throw anim. This would be going a lot faster if I wasn't working overtime at work at the moment. Usually it only takes 1 hour to animate these short things and I upload in the same evening. Probably 2 hours total including recording myself moving, and then after animating is complete - testing and uploading etc.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hes wiping the sneeze of course... I guess maybe it not that obvious because i have his hand in a ball to catch the sneeze, not a more natural open palm. I tried the open palm and changed it because i was having trouble with it. Can't remember why. I'm not opposed to changing it. I'm not happy with the closed fist or the wipe really.

the action is one continuous movement which makes it hard to see, you need more time for the whipe to read. Or you could just lower the arm right after the sneeze like this

Btw, squill, do we have a cough animation?

Also, I have played Heros of Might and Magic V a lot lately :blush: and they have that cool animation for the Skeleton Archer. Whenever he gets hit, he sort of jerks back, and that pushs his helmet slightly into his face,so he quickly raises his hand and pushes the helmet back. Looks quite cool and believable :)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Btw, squill, do we have a cough animation?

Also, I have played Heros of Might and Magic V a lot lately :blush: and they have that cool animation for the Skeleton Archer. Whenever he gets hit, he sort of jerks back, and that pushs his helmet slightly into his face,so he quickly raises his hand and pushes the helmet back. Looks quite cool and believable :)

yeah we do. It's sounds funny but we don't have separate helmets for the guards to create such animations. You see the same thing with the running soldier in Team fortress 2, his helmet jiggles while he's running and covers most of his eyes, it's very well animated.

the action is one continuous movement which makes it hard to see, you need more time for the whipe to read. Or you could just lower the arm right after the sneeze like this

Yeah, i wanted it to look like he was mainly doing a quick wipe just for insurance rather than him thinking he actually had a lot of phlem on his hand.

Domarius did the "warm hands", while i was actually thinking of doing one where the guards would rub their hands together. If anyone wants to do that one go for it. I'd have to read a ik/fk switching tutorial first.

Domarius did the "warm hands", while i was actually thinking of doing one where the guards would rub their hands together. If anyone wants to do that one go for it. I'd have to read a ik/fk switching tutorial first.

to do the warm hands anim you don't need to use ik if that's what you were thinking. IK is usefull if you need to stick the hands to a surface or hold an object like a sword and animate a straight stab which is harder to do with arcs(using FK). All animations that have the hands free are usually best to do in FK because all arm and hand movement naturally move in arcs.

Wouldn't it be easier to simply slide the hands back and forth using ik and adjust the elbows and shoulders afterwords?

You could do that but i would use FK without having to adjust the elbows afterwards. Just use what you think feels right. I sometimes blend from FK to IK in cases where for instance a hand has to grab something (IK) and in the end the arm has to swing back(FK).

Generally any swinging should be FK, and any contact should be IK.

I think I would have found it easier to use IK for the actual rubbing motion, but I got by without it because I haven't tried switching between IK to FK cause I didn't know if it would work - just a paranoia from the old rig I guess :) If squill is using it without problems then I'll have a go next time.

• 10 months later...

No. I'm pretty much the only person doing animations anymore, and I haven't been using it.

• 3 weeks later...