The Dark Mod Forums

xbox 360 just died -_-

jdude

I don't want to sound like a 'fanboy' but I just wanted to get something off my chest. Microsoft has become a sub-par manufacturer of software AND hardware imo. Here's why I think so:

Our 360 came with a headset, within a month it inexplicably stopped working.

The competition Sony, I've used headphones and mics from them for 3+ years with NO issues.

Our 360 died

No reported PS3 deaths caused by overheating

Microsoft's DRM has caused my a load of troubles and stress. Especially when trying to install publisher 2007.

Sure Sony has patented some extreme DRM methods, but they haven't actually employed most except for that weird music cd fiasco which they were sued over. But at least you could use the %!@#ing CDs!

Microsoft's Xbox360 has cut up about 3 games because their DVD drives suck.

360 games cost 20+ dollars more than pc games.

I swear I will never buy anything other than an OS from these jackasses ever again.

In the future I will get a ps4 / 5 / 6 / 7 ect never a Microsoft product EVER again.

My only grievance is that they continue to replace the bad heatsink with the same unacceptable thermal grease and the same unacceptable heatsink. It's a real shame.

That's why I built my own PC. By dumpster diving and begging, I got a.

2.0 ghz singlecore + hyperthreading

256 mb ram (I had to purchase another 1 gb from new egg)

GeForce 5700 AGP

120 GB hard drive + 4 GB hard drive

...All for free (except the ram). It's enough for Doom 3/Dark Mod, so I can't can't complain about the price, eh?

yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair

That sounds rather fishy. More likely he didn't have the video connection in or it was loose, as that will give a full red ring, not the 3/4 ring which is the "red ring of death"

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

@Jdude

Did you have the warranty on it? Because my bro's xbox red ringed on him and he got it replaced.

|=-=------=-=|

happycheeze.deviantart.com

Moddb

Gamers Outreach, a nonprofit that uses videogames to raise money for chairty.

|=-=------=-=|

Our 360 is pretty old, we got it around the time they first came out about 2 - 3 years ago and didn't get the extended warranty so it isn't covered anymore. The red rings have been stuck for about a week so we know it isn't a one time thing. I'm going to try the penny trick and see if that works, but I need some heatsink silicon paste which I have to get tomorrow so until then I wont know if it works or not.

I opened it up today, of course voiding the non-existent warranty and found that we had no heatsinks on the back under part of ours which most of the newer ones had. This is frustrating.

Since the warranty is void I'm for the first time ever considering doing a softmod to it.

I've had the red ring of death twice so far since I bought the 360 on release, both times I just bitched about it to EB until they gave me a brand new one. You have to call India though to get a special number which is seriously the biggest pain in the arse. The one I have now so far is working fine, i just keep it well ventilated and try not to move it overly much (read:at all). <_<

I think I like the 360 more than the playstation 3 (which I also own) simply because you can get more DLC; though mitigating this asset is having to pay for all the DLC with microsoft's special Disney money and having to pay for a subscription to play online. The 360 I think generally gets better exclusive games from American Developers which I prefer over Sony's Japanese exlusives.

Never had any of my discs ever damaged from the 360 though, did you move console at all when it was running?

Overall IMO I think the PC is a better platform than both of them put together.

Yes I'd agree, PC all the way :) We damaged some when we had the 360 in an upright position. It would be playing fine then there'd be a crunch sound and it'd have rings around it. Luckily I got some free Blockbuster fix cd coupons and used those to fix them.

Out of all the current consoles, I like the Wii the most :)

PC will always be my favorite though :D

|=-=------=-=|

happycheeze.deviantart.com

Moddb

Gamers Outreach, a nonprofit that uses videogames to raise money for chairty.

|=-=------=-=|

Well since we're all sharing our current game system stories (and considering how different mine is from the rest of the crowd), I'll cover my most recent endeavors. Prepare for a long post.

A friend of mine gave me a broken (red-ringed) Xbox 360 which he no longer wanted (he had bought an Xbox 360 Elite afterwards) but it was still under warranty. I could not convince him to rethink his decision on giving it away--to instead take advantage of the warranty. He just didn't want to bother with it.

So I took advantage of the warranty and got it replaced. Unfortunately, there are no games on the Xbox 360 that I'm really interested in (I haven't been impressed by the 360 game libraries of whatever friends of mine who own the 360) and I have no intention of paying for an online service. I ended up selling the 360 to my brother for something reasonable (he wouldn't take it for anything lower than $140), and--with the additional funds from a few PSP's I had bought, fixed, and sold on ebay--I decided to treat myself to something.

It just so happens that there was a PS3 deal at the time on Dell.com, which brought it down to $320. I've always been a fan of games like Wipeout, Tekken, Metal Gear Solid, God of War, Twisted Metal, Gran Turismo and many others (all of which have or are soon to be getting sequels) so it seemed like a great idea at the time.

I can sincerely say that I've been very happy with the system for the past months in which I've owned it. Naturally, I have to stress that I'm not a "Sony fanboy" or anything at this point (I highly doubt I would have bought the system at full price, and I've never even owned a PS2--just borrowed it), but--after my own experience--I'm sort of baffled by all of the bad press the PS3 has been getting (at least in the United States) for god knows how long.

I've found a lot of excellent games for the system consuming my time--perhaps too much of my time--and I've yet to touch any PC games in quite a while now. Wipeout HD, in particular, has blown me away and now stands among Thief 2: The Metal Age in my most favorite games of all time (It's too bad Wipeout is not too popular in the United States (I've heard this is a result of the difficulty). Seems like 90% of the online Wipeout HD games are hosted in Europe and Japan, which means some lag for me. On the other hand, I get to meet a lot of interesting people and more challenging competition. There are times when you'll have a room of 7 or 8 players, all from different countries--something very foreign to my experiences). Playing this game to the tune of custom French House playlists is nirvana for me.

The Tekken 5 online play is an absolute blast, even if I always get my ass kicked as Yoshimitsu. Metal Gear Solid 4 is, needless to say, absolutely amazing, and I hear Kojima still has further MGS games planned for the PS3. I've come across some RPGs--namely Valkyria Chronicles and Demon's Souls--which have had me up well into the morning hours and skipping classes; I actually need to put these on suspension until the summer as a result. I've also come across a bunch of great small-titles on PSN, ie Bionic Commando: Rearmed, Outrun Online Arcade, and Twisted Metal 2 (had to buy this first. Another favorite game of mine).

I hear there are a bunch of other great titles I should get into (ie Little Big Planet, Killzone 2, Ridge Racer 7, next month's PSN game "Trine", and many multiplatforms), but I'm sort of overwhelmed at this point, so they'll need to wait. Likewise--even if they may have great ratings--I don't ever plan on buying a first person shooter for a console, and I've yet to understand all of the hype behind the new Call of Duty games (they look and play like nothing out of the ordinary from your typical early-to-mid 2000's PC shooter ... and with the handicap of a controller?). So while the PS3 has provided a great gaming experience, first person shooters (and sneakers) will remain on the PC. I wouldn't even think of playing Thief on a console. That would be blasphemy (with the exception of the unlikely case in which the console game supports the mouse and keyboard functionality offered by the PS3--ala Unreal Tournament 3).

I've also had the chance to install Linux on the PS3. I took the Gentoo route as I heard Ubuntu or Yellow Dog Linux are a bit too bloated for a system with 256mB of ram (and I come from an Archlinux background, so I don't really think I could stomach Ubuntu anyway) . As far as I know, Sony has locked out access to the Nvidia graphics card (RSX) and 256mB of GPU ram in the PS3's "other OS" mode (a shame), so things can get quite slow at times (especially with firefox easily consuming a generous 150+ ram on only a few tabs), but it has served me quite well over the past few weeks considering the power supply in the desktop PC I own died. On the other hand, access to 6 or 7 of the Cell processor's SPUs is granted, and while very few programs take advantage of them, I've compiled mplayer with SPU-support (which makes viewing high definition media possible with a lack of access to a GPU) and I've also heard there is a MesaGL Cell processor implementation in the works (sounds exciting). This is not to say the PS3 is (currently) a reasonable platform for Linux when compared with PCs, but it's quite fun if you love messing around with linux and programming for an interesting (and quite powerful) architecture.

So this is what I've been up to regarding gaming and my PS3 endeavors over the past months. There isn't really anything on the PC that I could care to play for the time being, but the announcement of Alien Vs Predator (3) and the possibility of another Thief game has me hyped for the PC platform in terms of gaming. No doubt, the PC will--for me--take the forefront again some day.

I agree with you. I have no idea why the ps3 is getting such bad press over here. And for the price of the ps3 I certainly wish now I had got one instead of the 360 because you can play Blu-Ray on them. I've also have yet to hear complains about the hd-dvd drive for the 360 people purchased with the idea that hd-dvds would be around.

Yep the 360 is a flawed rushed console hwich is why I returned mine after 30 days. I was bored of it anyway. PC all the way and the only console I would buy now is a PS 3 because it has blu-ray plus interesting games. Also if I get bored of it I still have a blu-ray player which is cool.

I guess pennies are better than their equipment they shipped with -_-

Probably worth more too. :P

I've had my Xbox for about 9 months now and it's doing okay. My housemate's broke though a few months ago with RROD. He tried the towel thing and it worked for a bit but it's gone back to bustville again now. We looked into doing the penny trick, but it seems like an awful lot of work when they'll fix it for free for you. He decided to wait until he's finished his uni course in a couple of weeks before he sends it back. Too easily distracted by it.

SeaBass%20Hale.png