The Dark Mod Forums

"Body Awareness" Planned?

starmonkey

Hey all, loved the video posted on 14May09, especially the way you leaned over things to steal.

Begs the question - body awareness? Seeing my arm grab things, climb ropes, etc? Looking down and seeing my legs move?

Just wondering if there are plans for that.

cheers,

SM

We seem to be answering this question a LOT lately.

To answer it once more. No. I'll quote myself from ttlg.com

http://ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88654&page=57

As I said earlier...we do not support the player shadow. We do not support body awareness. We want to support a traditional first person experience.

Sure, it's not that difficult if you don't want it to work properly. It's a hell of a lot more involved than just sticking a camera on top of a 3rd person model....and yes, I already tested this out in TDM 4 years ago.

It creates a whole new set of issues that you have to create work arounds for. Control is affected, world interaction, animations...

We seem to be answering this question a LOT lately.

To answer it once more. No. I'll quote myself from ttlg.com

http://ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88654&page=57

Perhaps a good piece of information for your FAQ.. since it's, you know, a Frequently Asked Question :)

I've been playing Penumbra Overture lately - that has no "body awareness" and it works just fine without.

no need to bite my head off - we don't all come from TTLG

Haha, wasn't biting 'your' head off.

Anyway, yes. Tons have games have worked just fine without it for years. Some say that body awareness immerses them in the game more, but I'm the exact opposite. In any case, body awareness takes away some of the flexibility of traditional first person game mechanics and we have always wanted to ensure we were able to keep the same level of control as the first two Thief games.