The Dark Mod Forums

Edge and Corner Grime Decal

Fidcal

Thanx a lot!

You wrote:

Yes but I'll post in the other thread in 'textures' forum. Can you post there describing more clearly what type of arch and where the grime wants to go? eg, if you can point me to one in an existing map?

For instance the arch in the old mill, but like with the wall-grime, I think one-size-fits-all-arches would actually work, the grime doesn't have to be exactly the same degree as the arch - it can be fitted and scaled vertically to match pretty good the rest is fuzzy and ok.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

The decals look great, but adjusting them is quite a challange blind in DR. How did you do the screenshots with the black/white/grey, inside D3 or DR?

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

I have added a light version of the grime_corners decal, because when applying it to very light textures (like the bricks in my mill map), it made the corners almost black and looked quiteout-of-place when compared to any brick w/o the decal. That meant I would have had to add it to each and every face or it would stick out to much. The lighter version is a bit more compatible :)

Yes, I was anticipating we might need a lighter version. Can you post a screenshot of how it looks on lighter brickwork? Or is this in the mill map? I'd like to see it. And are you saying you are OK now with doing arches?

The decals look great, but adjusting them is quite a challange blind in DR. How did you do the screenshots with the black/white/grey, inside D3 or DR?

Here's how...

• Toggle menu > Filter > Brushes so you can see/select the decals, especially for resizing.

Yes, I was anticipating we might need a lighter version. Can you post a screenshot of how it looks on lighter brickwork? Or is this in the mill map? I'd like to see it.

I took screenshots of both yetserday, but forgot to post them and now can't access them until Wednesday. Yes it was for the light bricks in the mill map, on my CRT the original grime turned corners almost black, which looks odd compared to a sand-stone coloed brick colum a few cm next. The lighter version is much more forgiving and you can actually leave some nooks crannies and sims uncovered.

And are you saying you are OK now with doing arches?

No not really, the round decal doesn't really fit the arches. We probably need one that is more "darker" to the center because the arch obstructs almost all the "dark" parts and you end up with only a very very small trim of grime around the arch which looks out-of-place. :) However, I can't access my PC until Wednesday and hence can't play DM or work on my mill map (as I forgot to commit the changed version).

This is how I would start the arch grime. Fairly easy but the difficult part is the curve. If this were one curved patch I would just clone it and grime it very easy. As separate brush sections it is more tedious as you would need multiple patches (like the one on the ground) spaced around. I would recommend you make an internal curved patch.

post-400-1243316916_thumb.jpg

Or you could use a projected blendlight. lights/shadows should have a few blend lights you can experiment with (color, omni/projected).

It'd work great since it would follow the curve perfectly and take practically no performance hit.

yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair

This is how I would start the arch grime. Fairly easy but the difficult part is the curve. If this were one curved patch I would just clone it and grime it very easy. As separate brush sections it is more tedious as you would need multiple patches (like the one on the ground) spaced around. I would recommend you make an internal curved patch.

post-400-1243316916_thumb.jpg

Yeah, but I am crap with patches, plus I have so little time and only can map at my PC. It took me about 3 hours last mapping session and all I have to show are 2 grimed-walls and a new room (that is bland and non-accesible). With that speed I never finish any map :(

Or you could use a projected blendlight. lights/shadows should have a few blend lights you can experiment with (color, omni/projected).

It'd work great since it would follow the curve perfectly and take practically no performance hit.

Could you show an example how that looks like? (What exaclt is a projected blendlight?)

Yeah, but I am crap with patches, plus I have so little time and only can map at my PC. It took me about 3 hours last mapping session and all I have to show are 2 grimed-walls and a new room (that is bland and non-accesible). With that speed I never finish any map :(
Yeah - I have days like that, lots of 'em. Well in your case I wouldn't bother with those arches. Don't do the back of them either or it's worse than not doing it at all. Reduce the light on them maybe. Just do some of the ordinary flat walls in areas where it might be grimy like in a cellar or something.

Could you show an example how that looks like? (What exaclt is a projected blendlight?)

A projected blendlight is kind of like this: batman-signal.jpg

An omni blendlight is kind of like this:5904215_3e0d2e6116.jpg

To use a blendlight: just use any light entity (It can be "light" or even "light_torchflame_moving)

By giving it a special light texture, it is officially a blend light! You can use some of mine under lights/shadows/.

Keep the light's color at pure white (yes, you can tweak it if you really want to.)

post-2515-1243373358_thumb.png

Dmap and view in-game!

post-2515-1243373680_thumb.png

yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair

A projected blendlight is kind of like this: batman-signal.jpg

An omni blendlight is kind of like this:5904215_3e0d2e6116.jpg

To use a blendlight: just use any light entity (It can be "light" or even "light_torchflame_moving)

By giving it a special light texture, it is officially a blend light! You can use some of mine under lights/shadows/.

Keep the light's color at pure white (yes, you can tweak it if you really want to.)

post-2515-1243373358_thumb.png

Dmap and view in-game!

post-2515-1243373680_thumb.png

Ah thanx! The last screenshot is all black (with a shade of almost-not-that-black) on my CRT, tho.

A bad thing about the grime decals is that the lantern isn't of much use when all the walls are covered with it. The corners remain pitch black when your lantern is on. Is there anything that can be done about that?

The grime decals aren't supposed to simulate lighting, they are supposed to simulate dirt that accumulates in the corner of rooms. Whether the lantern is on or not does not affect this. If the grime is too black, this can be solved by making the decal image a lot lighter.

Still experimenting with this. I think Tels' lighter version may be of more general use and probably an even lighter version. You can actually lighten them by just expanding the scale so the darker parts go off-tile.

This is a light stone before and after. The room is not fully grimed and definitely needs more thought ...

post-400-1243593354_thumb.jpg post-400-1243593375_thumb.jpg

This first wood pillar was OK but bland. The improved version has lots more character but I'm undecided about how much to reduce the grime. It obviously doesn't look like dirt so much here but certainly makes it interesting...

post-400-1243593461_thumb.jpg post-400-1243593492_thumb.jpg

Still experimenting with this. I think Tels' lighter version may be of more general use and probably an even lighter version. You can actually lighten them by just expanding the scale so the darker parts go off-tile.

This is a light stone before and after. The room is not fully grimed and definitely needs more thought ...

post-400-1243593354_thumb.jpg

post-400-1243593375_thumb.jpg

:wub: This really makes it the Dark Mod.

This first wood pillar was OK but bland. The improved version has lots more character but I'm undecided about how much to reduce the grime. It obviously doesn't look like dirt so much here but certainly makes it interesting...

Yeah, I already thought about making a grime which looks just like random blotches (plus maybe some addition overlays of cracks).

Btw, your rooms look gorgeus, envy! :)