The Dark Mod Forums

Can this be fixed?

Noisycricket

In doing the stretching animation I noticed two areas of the proguard model where it has visual problems, but the question is will this effect other models or would this natuarally be fixed in the future? Note the shoulder and the elbow. I loaded up the builder guard and it looks ok in this pose, but the eblow looks a little flat. Im wondering if i should just do the stretching animation with his arms straight out or on his hips like a previous TDM animation.

Edit: Yet the solution is a simple re-weighting? Furthermore, I would guess that this would need to be done for other animations where the upper arm would take a similiar position, such as swinging the sword.

mesh.jpg

The elbow doesn't bend like that on the version I rigged. Check proguardmesh_export.mb under proguad_mb from from the model_src repository, that is the one the game uses, so if the source mb files for the animations don't look exactly like that, that's okay because proguardmesh_export.mb is the mesh and bone set that the game uses, the other mb animation files it only uses the bone rotations from. (Also all the new animations in the proguard_mb folder use the .ma extension, so if you're looking at a .mb file, it's most likely out of date) I would double check and do you a screenshot right now, but I can't from work (on my lunch break).

The shoulder is a different issue - you can't just rotate the arm upwards and expect the shoulder to look fine - you actually need to complete the rotation by rotating the shoulder control, it's the floating shape that looks like a shoulder pad above each shoulder. Like you said, the other sword swinging animations do this, so you can check them out for an example of how to do it properly. Check out model_src\proguard_mb\combat_sword_attack_overhead.mb

The elbow doesn't bend like that on the version I rigged. Check proguardmesh_export.mb under proguad_mb from from the model_src repository, that is the one the game uses, so if the source mb files for the animations don't look exactly like that, that's okay because proguardmesh_export.mb is the mesh and bone set that the game uses, the other mb animation files it only uses the bone rotations from. (Also all the new animations in the proguard_mb folder use the .ma extension, so if you're looking at a .mb file, it's most likely out of date) I would double check and do you a screenshot right now, but I can't from work (on my lunch break).

The shoulder is a different issue - you can't just rotate the arm upwards and expect the shoulder to look fine - you actually need to complete the rotation by rotating the shoulder control, it's the floating shape that looks like a shoulder pad above each shoulder. Like you said, the other sword swinging animations do this, so you can check them out for an example of how to do it properly. Check out model_src\proguard_mb\combat_sword_attack_overhead.mb

I'm glad you said something about shoulder movement, i forgot to incorporate that into this version of the stretch. Unfortunately, in my first version i noticed it didn't seem to help much, if any. Now that i've arched the back backwards, its is less noticable, but still there. I check the game version, same issue. I noticed the old (i think old) hammer guards didn't have that problem, they looked fine.

edit: i've analyzed it a little more and its just those last few degree that really stretch the shoulder.