The Dark Mod Forums

Can't compile on linux

make[3]: Entering directory `/home/te/src/darkradiant/libs/math'
/bin/bash ../../libtool --tag=CXX   --mode=compile g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I../..  -I../../include -I../../libs  -DRADIANT_USE_GLSL  -DPOSIX -fPIC -g -O2 -g -O2 -Wall -Wno-unused-variable -MT matrix.lo -MD -MP -MF .deps/matrix.Tpo -c -o matrix.lo matrix.cpp
../../libtool: line 467: CDPATH: command not found
../../libtool: line 1145: func_opt_split: command not found
libtool: Version mismatch error.  This is libtool 2.2.6 Debian-2.2.6a-1ubuntu1, but the
libtool: definition of this LT_INIT comes from an older release.
libtool: You should recreate aclocal.m4 with macros from libtool 2.2.6 Debian-2.2.6a-1ubuntu1
libtool: and run autoconf again.
make[3]: *** [matrix.lo] Error 63
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/te/src/darkradiant/libs/math'
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/te/src/darkradiant/libs'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/te/src/darkradiant'
make: *** [all] Error 2

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Have you tried with a fresh checkout? Sometimes I have to recreate the build scripts on a different computer to the one I used last time, and the build system can get wedged until you start again with a clean working copy.

Have you tried with a fresh checkout? Sometimes I have to recreate the build scripts on a different computer to the one I used last time, and the build system can get wedged until you start again with a clean working copy.

Er no, and I don't have time to wait for a complete checkout, sorry. Is there any other way, like make clean or rerunning configure or something?

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

Er no, and I don't have time to wait for a complete checkout, sorry. Is there any other way, like make clean or rerunning configure or something?

You can try various iterations of make clean, aclocal, autoconf and automake --foreign and ./configure if you like, but I have been in situations where I couldn't get anything to work and the only way was with a clean tree.

• 1 month later...

I don't understand it myself; he doesn't say which version of Ubuntu he's using, but the package was compiled against all versions from G to J so unless he's using K I don't see how the package could not show up or the dependencies would not be satisfiable.

• 5 months later...

Today I couldn't start DR on my 64bit Kubuntu Karmin anymore. Something about GLEW library, but between yesterday and today I didn't update or change anything. *sigh*

So I deinstalled it, and then wanted to reinstall it, but there seems to be no 64bit version for Karmic on bloodgate.com. Onto to compile it, then. Well, after hunting downa few dozend packages to install, it still runs into this error:

mv -f .deps/darkradiant-ModelPropertyEditor.Tpo .deps/darkradiant-ModelPropertyEditor.Po
make[2]: *** No rule to make target `ui/einspector/SoundChooser.cpp', needed by `darkradiant-SoundChooser.o'.  Stop.
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/te/src/darkmod/darkradiant/radiant'
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/te/src/darkmod/darkradiant'

Is there a way around, or could some kind soul please provide me with a 64bit version for Karmic Ubuntu?

Hm, looking at:

http://bloodgate.com/mirrors/tdm/pub/packages/pool/main/

I see no karmic at all, and the latest is 10.0.1. Since I can't seem to compile DR for linux, could somebody please do so?

I've updated the build scripts and fixed a compilation issue on Linux, so you should be able to compile now.

Thanx, but ater letting SVN override the radiant/Makefile.in file, rerunning ./configure and the make, I still get this:

Making all in radiant
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/te/src/darkmod/darkradiant/radiant'
make[2]: *** No rule to make target `ui/einspector/SoundChooser.cpp', needed by `darkradiant-SoundChooser.o'.  Stop.
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/te/src/darkmod/darkradiant/radiant'
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/te/src/darkmod/darkradiant'

Looks like you have an out-of-date Makefile of some sort, the SoundChooser.cpp file is now in ui/common.

Do you have any local modifications to radiant/Makefile or radiant/Makefile.{in,am} (this would happen if you have run automake locally)? If so, please revert them before trying again.

Looks like you have an out-of-date Makefile of some sort, the SoundChooser.cpp file is now in ui/common.

Do you have any local modifications to radiant/Makefile or radiant/Makefile.{in,am} (this would happen if you have run automake locally)? If so, please revert them before trying again.

Hm, I don't seem to have any modified files locally:

te@te-laptop:~/src/darkradiant$ svn status

? build-stamp

? install.txt

? config.log

? config.h

? backup.sh

? memory.txt

? config.status

? stamp-h1

? autom4te.cache

? libtool

? radiant/darkradiant

? debian/darkradiant.substvars

? debian/darkradiant-plugins-darkmod

? debian/darkradiant

? debian/darkradiant.postinst.debhelper

? debian/darkradiant.postrm.debhelper

? debian/tmp

? debian/files

? debian/darkradiant-plugins-darkmod.substvars

? install/darkradiant.desktop

Would running automake (however it is called) help? With what parameters?

Edit: Tried removing config.h, config.cache, autom4te.cache etc and rerunnning

./configure --enable-darkmod-plugins; make

after the latest SVN update, lets hope it works this time :)

Er, no:

make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/te/src/darkradiant/radiant'

I don't get it, the makefile all seems to contain the correct "ui/common", the "ui/einspector" I cannot find at all. Huh?

Meh, there was a radiant/.debs directory containing it... Shouldn't that be cleared before a config run automatically?

Hm, now I get a different error:

darkradiant-PatchModule.o: In function `CommonPatchCreator::Patch_getShader(boost::shared_ptr<scene::INode>) const':
/home/te/src/darkradiant/radiant/patch/PatchCreators.h:50: undefined reference to `Patch::GetShader() const'
darkradiant-PatchModule.o: In function `Patch::constructStatic(EPatchType)':
/home/te/src/darkradiant/radiant/patch/Patch.h:365: undefined reference to `Patch::m_type'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [darkradiant] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/te/src/darkradiant/radiant'

Gonna try "make clean" next - should have thought about that before. *sigh* I get old... (and my laptop hot form the many recompiles :)

You can get back to a "clean" state by using the following command in the darkradiant directory:

$ svn status | awk '/^\?/ { print $2; }' | xargs rm -r

You shouldn't need to run automake at all to build the software, since the configure scripts use the already-generated Makefile.in files.

You can get back to a "clean" state by using the following command in the darkradiant directory:

$ svn status | awk '/^\?/ { print $2; }' | xargs rm -r

You shouldn't need to run automake at all to build the software, since the configure scripts use the already-generated Makefile.in files.

Nevermind, the "make clean" followed by a configure and make solved the problem. I feal really stupid now :(