The Dark Mod Forums

Models - Accepting donations?

Diego

Hi there

If you don't remember me, I made some contributions a couple of years ago (like that untextured thug and noblewoman, for example) During college I had some problems with time, but now I graduated! yay!

I still don't have much free time, but I want to make some hard surface modeling for my portfolio. I'm pretty sure the mod already has a lot of furnitures and stuff like that done but, if there's anything special you need just say what it is that I would be really happy to do it!

My intention was to make enough to make a 'fireplace scene'. That is, a fireplace (duh), some statues, vases and ornaments. That kind of stuff.

I can't promess to make them perfectly ingame! But I can give you the textures (including normal map) and the models in obj or 3ds, max, etc... If you're not interested, that's ok! I'll just do some random stuff I find in google :D hehe

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey Diego. Anything you'd like to produce is great...we don't have any pressing needs at the moment, but more variety is always good. If you can save the meshes as .lwo or .obj files I can go about putting them in game.

Fireplace is done, I think... I was gonna tweak some more and make a few more screenshots and put everything in a easy to send package... Then I looked myself in the mirror and the reddish tone of my eyes scared me a little bit! :blink: so... Tomorrow I do this! :)

But I guess it's pretty much done: (I'll know better tomorrow)

lareira_wip1.jpg

Wow, that's awesome, Diego. :) How many polys is that?

If you felt like continuing that theme, we have a lack of really ornate, ostentatious models like that one.

Glad you liked! :D It's 230 faces (tris). I decided to make it only an arch so the mapper has more flexibility to make whatever ground he wants, fake wall, etc.

Want me to send this now? Or should I send with the rest of the stuff, later?

Want me to send this now? Or should I send with the rest of the stuff, later?

I always prefer to get stuff onto my HD, just in case you're hit by a bus. ;)

You can send it to eric 'at' mindplaces.com.

A deformed replica of Venus de Milo :P

venus_final5.jpg

Tomorrow I'll check if it needs more tweaking before sending.

I'm not that happy with the final result of this one.. The low poly mesh is too polygonal (considering the time i've spent making the high res, at least) but I didn't wanted to go beyond 300 tris for a prop model. (it's 280) If more is acceptable, and you're interested, I could make it 'rounder'.

First of all, it looks quite good to me already. :)

However, you can go much higher than 300 polys if you want. We've found that static polys don't take much processing power as long as they're not shadowcasting. So you can make a 500-1000 poly model, but give it a 200 poly shadowmesh (a simple mesh that fits inside the visible mesh, textured with common/texture/shadow).

Some great models here.

I love seeing good new models in game.

I hope you keep contributing. :)

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

However, you can go much higher than 300 polys if you want. We've found that static polys don't take much processing power as long as they're not shadowcasting. So you can make a 500-1000 poly model, but give it a 200 poly shadowmesh (a simple mesh that fits inside the visible mesh, textured with common/texture/shadow).

Wow! That's great! :D But they are two separate objects, right?

Anyway, even if I remake this last model, later, I'll send this one first.

Wow! That's great! biggrin.gif But they are two separate objects, right?

No, they'd be the same object, just different surface names.

The pedestals look great!

candle holders was one of the first things I wanted to do, but I can't seem to decide on a good design. Any suggestions?

These are the three we're using at the moment (not counting a loot one).

post-9-1244980787_thumb.jpg

A pedestal. For statues or whatever needs a pedestal :)

622 faces. Looks better than the statue! :P I have to remake that thing...

pedestal_final5.jpg

Hm, 622 looks quite a bit high, I think you can get away with much less and just use the highpoly version to make a normalmap. Maybe you can show a shot with the wireframe overlayed so we can see where the polys are actually dense and where less dense?

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

In principle, that's high for a basic cylinder, but as long as we're talking about tris, 600 (non-shadowcasting) is no practical problem at all. You could easily make a shadowmesh for that object at less than 30 polys.

I based the polycount on the suggestion that I could make static objects with more than 500 and less than 1k. I mean, of course, tris! :)

Looking at the wireframe might make it easier to judge if it's too much or ok.

pedesta_wire.jpg

The problem with low poly columns is the visible silhouette at the bottom. You can see that the 'complicated part' is much less dense.

It wouldn't take me too long to reduce the poly count! The high res model isn't going anywhere :P (looking at the 'complicated part' I thought it was pretty obvious a highres model was being used for normal map lol) So, just take a while to decide what's the best thing to do, and let me know :)

Edit: maybe, a good solution would be to reduce the number of edge columns just before the bottom. I would have to try it out and see if would work.

Edited by Diego

About the shadow mesh! Although I don't know how to 'set different surface names' (this is probably specific to the engine) I could provide the model with a lower poly mesh inside, if you know how to go from there.

Ah, yes, you obviously know what you do (and I don't :)

The model is fine, but if you can shave of a few polys w/o destryong the silhouette,that would be cool. (Bceause it also speeds up collision detection).

However, as springheel said, the shadow casting model can be much simpler and this is where performance is coming from. And your model looks quite fine so far, I always underestimate how many tris you get from the polys.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

The model is fine, but if you can shave of a few polys w/o destryong the silhouette,that would be cool. (Bceause it also speeds up collision detection).

If you're worried about collision detection, we could give it a simplified CM. It could just be a box.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi again! I spent a couple of weeks out of town and couldn't work.

I'm going to make some more furniture and stuff.. (and make some tiny changes on the current ones) but I also want to make a character, do you have any need for a character? I don't intend to animate it, though, but I will texture it with color (diffuse) and normal maps (wouldn't be hard to make additional maps, like specular, if you want and the engine can take it.)

What do you way? :)