The Dark Mod Forums

Models - Accepting donations?

Diego

To be honest we don't have a huge need for characters at the moment. We have a dozen that will not make it into 1.0 because I don't have time to rig them to the new skeleton we're using. We're also sticking to the style Oddity established for our characters, so new characters are generally being made by using pieces of old ones. That said, we are using your old Thug character after I "Oddisized" it a bit (see below).

If you really wanted to try your hand at something, there are a few character concepts that we never got to:

pagan1.jpg

theoretician.jpg

post-9-1245934378_thumb.jpg

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sticking to a style is very reasonable. Specially if there isn't any need for new models.

I am going to try one of these concepts anyway. If you guys like it, great! If not, it's a souvenir :)

Btw, wow.. that thug model I made really sucks! :blink: I didn't realized my modeling skills actually improved :D

Quick question: Do you have any idea of how that pagan hair looks from other angles? I even researched real indian hairstyles to see if I can figure it out a pattern from what's visible :P

My sugestions are shaved, with braid(s) (like the lateral ones) or with two more braids like the top one.

I guess it's hard to make out but the back of his head is shaved in that image. So basically there are two locks braided on each side and then the tuft on top.

Ok. This may take a few days. So I'm gonna post a wip, this is a good stage to start receiving some suggestions or critiques as it's easy to tweak the models.

These images are only showing the high res parts already done (the rest is hidden). I probably have to redo the fur coat, though..

wip5.jpg

face detail: (his braids aren't gonna stay spiked like that :P )

wip4.jpg

That looks mighty fine to me!

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Much better than your old thug model for sure! :) Helps that you're sculpting it, I guess.

Those braids would be cool if ragdolled. Probably too much work for too little gain though.

His eyes look really narrow - are they shut, or is that their natural resting position? If the latter, it makes him look a lot more oriental than the concept. Concept also seems to have stronger cheekbones / more sunken cheeks, at least looking at the shading.

Hard to judge proportions since it's not finished yet, but I think the legs might be a little narrow. The concept is in general a lot stockier than this guy.

The detailing looks good to me. The fur looks more like leather, but you did say you wanted to redo that already.

Woah, you could be a life saver. Best modeller since oDDity...

Now you've got me wondering what crits oDDity would give on this. :)

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

Hey yeah he does look oriental. Check this out, it's awesome...

(prepare to scroll rightwards a long way)

http://www.cedarseed.com/fire/tutorials.html

http://www.cedarseed.com/fire/humantypes1.html

http://www.cedarseed.com/fire/humantypes2.html

http://www.cedarseed.com/fire/humantypes3.html

Oh btw good luck getting a fur effect... that's a pretty involved thing to look convincing without being lots of polys... personally I think we should go for a different material.

Glad you're liking! :D

It does has some proportions problems, some of them is me quickly assembling the parts together to create the shots :P The rest is fixable, I hope! (the worst I think it's the waist/legs region)

personally I think we should go for a different material.

That would be GOOD! This fur is just not going to look very good. It will look a little better with actual texture, but it's not gonna make miracles. I didn't say anything before because I didn't want to temper the concept too much.

About the head. You guys think I should try to make it more similar to the concept? I did noticed, while making, that it was becoming more asian like but I thought it wasn't gonna make much difference. With a 'brownish' color and all the rest of the look I think it will look more like an indian again.

Awesome!! This will replace a whole giant folder of photo references in my HD!

That's looking great! My only crit that hasn't been mentioned is that the folds in the lower legs (around the bindings) looks a bit unnatural...might just be that there are too many (like the material was really thin cheesecloth or something). I agree about the eyes being too asian, but don't feel that you have to follow the rest of the concept art exactly.

Feel free to switch the tunic from fur to leather (it looks good already for that)...back when I drew it I understood almost nothing about modelling, and now I realize what a bitch fur would be to try and do. :)

That's looking great! My only crit that hasn't been mentioned is that the folds in the lower legs (around the bindings) looks a bit unnatural...might just be that there are too many (like the material was really thin cheesecloth or something). I agree about the eyes being too asian, but don't feel that you have to follow the rest of the concept art exactly.

Feel free to switch the tunic from fur to leather (it looks good already for that)...back when I drew it I understood almost nothing about modelling, and now I realize what a bitch fur would be to try and do. :)

Fur would look good with a fur-shader, but we don't have such a thing, so it will always look "odd" at the silouette (missing hairs etc). Leather is certainly more simpler to get right :)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

It's great isn't it? It's not well known either, I keep spreading it around.

It's strange that I never saw this. Because I'm always in cg forums and googling references in a daily basis!

My only crit that hasn't been mentioned is that the folds in the lower legs (around the bindings) looks a bit unnatural...might just be that there are too many (like the material was really thin cheesecloth or something).

Just fixed that! :) It's one of the problems of detailing the parts separately, you lose notion of scale.

Edited by Diego

New wip!

I'm still unsure of what to do with this coat. Now that it's leather I should remake it as leather, but I'm feeling kinda lazy for that :P The pants are looking better (although it could be pushed a little more I guess) and the proportions are back to original state! (little tip: low res models, when subdivided, tend to lose volume!)

wip6.jpg

Definite improvement. Looking good so far. :)

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

I've been reading about transparency for doom 3 models, and it seems to be problematic. I was planning on using transparency for the hair (top and front parts) from the beginning, now I'm not sure... any insights on the matter? :huh:

I've been reading about transparency for doom 3 models, and it seems to be problematic. I was planning on using transparency for the hair (top and front parts) from the beginning, now I'm not sure... any insights on the matter? :huh:

It's not problematic, just annoying. It depends if you want to do transparency or alpha testing.

Transparency can be done like a glass shader (without the warp effect), and in that way you can have transparent hair folicles. Though it will almost certainly boost the amount of polygons the model uses by quite a bit. Worth a try I guess.

I've been reading about transparency for doom 3 models, and it seems to be problematic. I was planning on using transparency for the hair

Depends what you want to achieve. The hair around the neck below is made with several rings of polys, and the texture is the hair drawn on a transparent background.

werebeast.jpg

werewolf_hair_d.jpg

I don't think that the tunic needs any extra work, actually. It already looks like rough leather to me. The shoes look a bit short and stunted to me (maybe still WIP?). The legs do indeed look better.

Don't spend too much time on the hands...they'll probably be repaced with the hands that we are using for other characters (which are already set up for rigging with our existing skeleton).

Right! My problem is with the technical aspect of the engine. But I suppose this werewolf is made with that 'alphatesting' Dram mentioned, right? (noticed because there are no transparency levels) What kind of file format is this? tga? I didn't had to worry about this with the rest because there were no transparency before.

Thanks for the critiques! I'm still tweaking, so it's good to know this things.

Don't spend too much time on the hands...they'll probably be repaced with the hands that we are using for other characters (which are already set up for rigging with our existing skeleton).

Thanks for letting me know. Would be nice not needing to make hands! lol But I think I'm gonna have to make something, anyway. For the portfolio :P

I just save the file as a .tga with a transparent background (or you can use an alpha mask). Then in the material shader, you add something like this:

{

blend diffuseMap

map models/md5/chars/townsfolk/commoner/commoner_guard

alphaTest 0.5 }

where "map" is the texture in question. The "alphaTest" value doesn't matter a huge amount, in my experience...it basically determines how generous the border between the image and the transparency is.

I was only going to post more wips when I had some texture done but... I really like this normal map! :D Usually they are so troublesome. Of course, it's huge. May not look so good when it's scaled down ;P This model has 2761 triangles. I think this is reasonable, right?

wip10.jpg

Anyway, to textures and beyond!

Usually they are so troublesome. Of course, it's huge. May not look so good when it's scaled down ;P This model has 2761 triangles. I think this is reasonable, right?

Anyway, to textures and beyond!

2761 is actually on the low side as far as our human models go. You could go as high as 5000 if it had a good shadowmesh.

Yeah, nice. Those are some great-looking normals! I assume the texture map for them is huuuge though, given the amount of detail in it. :) Any chance of a pic with the normal map at a reasonable in-game size? Just out of curiosity.

Are those shoes final? They look a bit strange. Very square.