The Dark Mod Forums

Models - Accepting donations?

Diego

One thing that struck me when I looked at it today was that the leather edge looks very even and balanced in the front (straight edges coming to a balanced point). It could do with more of a jagged edge.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks people :] glad you're liking! I hope this can be of use for to the mod.

Any chance of a pic with the normal map at a reasonable in-game size? Just out of curiosity.

Sure. What size would that be? I'm using 2048 X 2048.

Are those shoes final? They look a bit strange. Very square.

Yes.. Now would be *really* difficult to change that.

One thing that struck me when I looked at it today was that the leather edge looks very even and balanced in the front (straight edges coming to a balanced point). It could do with more of a jagged edge.

I noticed that too! I intended to do the same thing I did with the sleeves but... I kinda forgot about that :angry: And the problem is that generating the normal maps required a looot of work. To fix stuff like the shoes or the coat would require remaking the low poly uvs and generate the normals all over again (wich would require to dismember the whole model.. it's a mess)

Doesn't matter how much I plan ahead, I always forget something(s)!

Don't forget you can always break the meshes up and use more than one normalmap. Most of our AI models are made of six or seven submeshes.

I have to agree about the shoes. Maybe they would look better with some detailing, like some stitching?

baby-moccasins.JPG

Don't forget you can always break the meshes up and use more than one normalmap. Most of our AI models are made of six or seven submeshes.

I can do that..? :o And I don't have to squeeze everything into one big UV?

About the hair. I like the design.. it's like a mixture of barbarians (in the roman sense) and indians. It will look better when the texture pop out the shaved areas.

Edited by Diego

I'm beginning to consider taking a few steps back to fix some things.

Can I ask you for some example model? Something I could use as a guideline. Even if I don't fix this pagan model, I might wanna try the inventor too.

Can I ask you for some example model? Something I could use as a guideline.

Sure. What format can you read?

I'd suggest we'd take you onboard as Contributor, Diego, so that you have access to the other modeling threads as well.

Any objections from the team?

He used to be a while back as well, but then left later on. I remember his other models and he has improved 1000%, so yes I agree :)

Forgot to tell you my email address to send the model: diego.floor (at) gmail.com

It would be great to be a full contributor again! :) But this productivity may not last, for the same reason as before. Ok, let me summarize my little story: When I was a contributor, I was in the middle of my graduation and eventually I ran out of time to dedicate to anything else.. I graduated this year and found myself in this crossroad; Do I really want to continue studying physics? (there's an admission test for a masters program in a month) So I'm using this time to update my portfolio and send it to the four corners of the earth! If I find one good opportunity (compared to a masters degree!) I'm leaving physics for later.

All this means is that, after this small period of time, I'm probably not gonna be able to contribute anymore. Because I'm probably gonna enter this masters program and probably my portfolio won't result in anything substantial. (so many "probablys" for such a small paragaph) :P

The leather tunic looks good, but the other colours could use some work. The striped shirt (which should include the bit around the neck) doesn't look quite right. Here are some examples of the kind of fabric I had in mind:

Gauls_color.jpg

This one is even better. It's the same classic gaul outfit I used in the concept art (as you can see, the hair is historically accurate for a gaulish warror). It might be useful for colours.

france_title.jpg

Hmm! This is good. The pants could use some more vibrant color. And I thought that white and red was totally out of place! :D what a coincidence seeing the same pattern..

When you say the fabric looks odd, are you refering to the colors or the actual fabric texture? Like silkier, for example.

I think it's just that the shirt looks mostly red with some white stripes added, rather than having the stripes more evenly balanced.

I wouldn't go nuts with the pants on these guys...they're probably just rawhide or leather like the examples in the second picture. If you want to do the outfit in the first image, then you should model the pagan beserker. ;)

elitepagan1.jpg

Also, is it just me or is the normalmap on the straps on the leg inverted?

As long as they're powers of two they don't have to be square. I didn't know you were doing the axe too....that concept drawing of the axe is pretty poor.

I noticed that too! I intended to do the same thing I did with the sleeves but... I kinda forgot about that mad.gif And the problem is that generating the normal maps required a looot of work. To fix stuff like the shoes or the coat would require remaking the low poly uvs and generate the normals all over again (wich would require to dismember the whole model.. it's a mess)

Oh, I missed this the first time. Can't you just subdivide the polys on the front of the tunic to give yourself a few more verts?

Looks amazing! I can only add, I hope we have some variations of skins and heads? Looking back at the reference material, how about one with orange hair and dark stripe fabric. Also not all with the head plume - that guy we already have with the long flaxen hair might fit here.

Very cool! Those aren't Thief glyphs on his arm though, are they?

Oh, you noticed those? :laugh: it's just that I couldn't find any of those pagan symbolism (like that eye on the trickster's head) Don't worry, they are in a layer until I find something suitable. :]

Fidcal:

Variations are always good :)

Btw, you may find this useful: I found a neat way to combine normal maps! (into one, of course) I'm not sure this is known to everyone, but for me this was new... This image above has the regular normals map, but it's composed with a 'detail' normals map I made from the diffuse texture. There is a complex stunt with the photoshop to achieve this, but I found an 'action' to do that. As simply overlapping them with 50% opacity would cause loss of information.

This is great :) My computer can't subdivide the mesh so much in order to add this level of detail to the normal map. There is a download link to the action, together with a step by step explanation, here.