The Dark Mod Forums

Models - Accepting donations?

Diego

Looks definitely cool. Hopefully the tatoos are "added" on the texture via some shader, so we can swap them out? :)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thinking about that, I think it's better for me to provide the photoshop file instead of a jpg map. With everything in layers is easier to do this sort of things, like making the tattoos as a different map and add them to the character with a material (shader) or make color/texture variations.

Thinking about that, I think it's better for me to provide the photoshop file instead of a jpg map. With everything in layers is easier to do this sort of things, like making the tattoos as a different map and add them to the character with a material (shader) or make color/texture variations.

Yeah that sounds more flexible :) Thanx for your work!

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

You're welcome! :) I'm such a huge fan of this project.. I wanted to contribute with something to this mod for a long time, and I'm really happy to finally do it!

I still have a couple of weeks so, eventhough this pagan could use some more tweaking, I'm gonna call it done and start working on more models.

But I did fixed the front of the leather coat and the shoes! It's funny, I'm always complaining about the problems with 3ds max, but it is a pretty good software... There was this little tickable box called "preserve uvs", that enables you to subdivide your mesh and make little modifications without ruining anything!

Edit: Do you have any fancy axe or weapon concept? I did a model a simple one, just to put something his his hands, but I could do a prettier version.

Edited by Diego

t's just that I couldn't find any of those pagan symbolism (like that eye on the trickster's head) Don't worry, they are in a layer until I find something suitable. :]

I've got some, so no worries. :)

There was this little tickable box called "preserve uvs", that enables you to subdivide your mesh and make little modifications without ruining anything!

I guess Lightwave just does that by default...I've never heard of ruining a uvmap by subdividing! :)

Edit: Do you have any fancy axe or weapon concept? I did a model a simple one, just to put something his his hands, but I could do a prettier version.

This is the one I wanted for the pagans (the same in the image above):

il_430xN.54532444.jpg

saxe1[ekm]148x300[ekm].jpg

I still have a couple of weeks so, eventhough this pagan could use some more tweaking, I'm gonna call it done and start working on more models.

Do you want to email it to me? I'd love to see it.

Stripes and/or plaid? :blink: Is the goal to be authentic to Earth history, as opposed to looking intimidating (or whatever the intent of such a people might be)? Please take no offense; the stripes just seem very out of place to me (Ronald McDonald'ish... though I guess by the name that explains the stripes... hm). Old world warriors lacking fashion sense!

That was my first reaction - but then I saw the reference images. Personally I'd be happier with some other pattern but it's hard to tell if that's just the way I'm seeing it. Sort of a rugby jumper or something.

I think the stripes/plaid will register as "barbarian" to anyone with a small amount of historical knowledge (or even someone who has just read "Asterix and Obelix"). It also helps distinguish them from our other non-pagan characters.

I'm out of time sooner than I thought.. but hopefully it will be a temporary recession (2 weeks or so.)

I did started to work on the inventor-like character:

wip1.jpg

I didn't forget to send the email!! I'm gonna do that right now! ^_^

Got it, thanks. Looks good on first glance, though I'll need to cut it up into submeshes. For future reference, it makes it easier for me to rig them if you model the arms in a classic T pose (forgot to mention that earlier).

If I understand what you're saying: yes, it's not a very realistic bone structure, but it looks good.

edit: actually, I think I know what you're saying! The eye socket is rounder now :D

Edited by Diego

I seem to be getting my email in batches every other day or so for some reason. Give it one more try and see what happens.

The email returned again. Maybe I make a 4shared account or something (I think it's free there)

Anyway, I'm still out of town but I was smart enough to bring with me the uvs as jpeg files! So I can at least continue to work on the textures :D Anyone wants to donate a face for texture? in the name of science! ok.. in the name of the mod. I may use my own, but I don't have much hair so I'll have to find hair pictures anyway. Front and side will do :D (I suck at texturing, so I use photograph to make it easier.. usually, at the end, I have so much paint over that most of the photograph disappears)

• 3 weeks later...

Awesome, good to have you back in action. :)

I feel like I'm stepping on Springheel's toes by giving this kind of detailed feedback (most of this stuff is really his call as art lead), but here goes anyway. Anything he says overrides anything I say.

First up: I bet that coat would suck to rig and animate. :) Is it even possible to walk in that thing? I suppose it's not buttoned up near the bottom, which would give the legs freedom of movement, but that makes the animation trickier. I guess the new skeleton does have "skirt" joints though.

Something about the face seems off. Doesn't look symmetrical, or maybe it's just the light. Rather small chin. If that's supposed to be a neutral expression, it's pretty glum and dour too!

I want fancier hair like in the concept art, too. ;) I know, I'm demanding...

He's coming off to me very much like a modern scientist, whereas the concept strikes me as more neo-Victorian somehow. More "swashbuckling", for lack of a better word. I can just picture the guy from the concept art bustling around his lab with the light of inspiration in his eye, doing something worthy of backing with music by Vernian Process (fantastical, awe-inspiring, strong mechanical overtones, "steampunk"). I guess that's kind of at odds with the idea of a theoretician, though, so I could be totally off base here... Ignore me, I'm ranting. :P

@Springheel: He's called a theoretician, yet the concept art has a ruler/protractor thingy in his pocket and alchemical gear in the background - what kind of work does this guy do? In the modern era theoreticians are mostly concerned with mathematics, but pre-modern-science I guess it could also mean someone who works in a lab trying to discover theories, doing what we would now consider "practical" work, but without any particular practical purpose in mind. Am I on the right track here at all? :)

As for colours - if he's doing lab work with nasty chemicals I'm guessing he would want a leather coat and leather boots. The shirt underneath could be almost any colour - maybe this yellowish colour? He could also have a vest, perhaps.

Just some ideas, nothing to take too seriously. :)

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

I feel like I'm stepping on Springheel's toes by giving this kind of detailed feedback (most of this stuff is really his call as art lead), but here goes anyway. Anything he says overrides anything I say.

Naah.. A suggestion is only a suggestion! :D

Since you made some commentaries on his head, let me specify a little better what are the 15% of work left :D The texture somehow changed his features (the eyebrows) so that is something to be worked. The lack of symmetry is on purpose! It's like a rule for making faces, as one rarely has a totally symmetrical face :) And last, if I'm not forgetting anything, I want to make his hair with extra geometry. (with transparency) From the concept it seems to be a really messy hair and all.. so I want to try to achieve something like that.

But you have a point on his expression. It does look like he sucked on a lemon or something..

First up: I bet that coat would suck to rig and animate.

Yeah... I'm trying not to think too much about it :blink:

And for the colors, good suggestions. Let's see what the others think about this! :)

Well, OK - it doesn't need or want to be perfectly symmetrical, that's true; what I meant was, it looks more lopsided than it needs to be. I think you're right, it's the eyebrows. But you know that and it's WIP, so I'll shut up now. :D

Cool, looking forward to seeing the hair. I thought it looked relatively slicked back and thus might be doable with polygons... I could be wrong though. Whatever works best.

@Fidcal: Yes, I noticed the lab coat looked pretty modern. I figured I was just having that reaction because it's untextured and thus has a very modern-looking white colour, but it's equally possible that the stylings are part of it. Reserving judgement until I see it textured. :)

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.