The Dark Mod Forums

GC's Map

Goldchocobo

Hey guys

Thought I would show what I'm working on.

w8sxvd.jpg

29qjmkg.jpg

200xu0x.jpg

The architecture is final, for the most part, but some texturing and definitely lighting is not. Obviously I'm working with limited resources from Saint Lucia (hinthint), so I have big, big plans for the future, including putting a team together (already half together :P) and getting a campaign made, new voices/models, etc etc. This is also portfolio pieces for the job side of things.

Constructive criticism is welcomed :D

GC

Now that's how to do arches! Make nice prefabs. Good work both architecturally, texturing, and lighting. We could use a better lantern for that situation but still. The only query I would have is the christian crucifix and also the inverted hammer windows. Don't know where they stand in the Dark Mod universe.

Is this a test piece or will it become a real mission?

Now that's how to do arches! Make nice prefabs. Good work both architecturally, texturing, and lighting. We could use a better lantern for that situation but still. The only query I would have is the christian crucifix and also the inverted hammer windows. Don't know where they stand in the Dark Mod universe.

Is this a test piece or will it become a real mission?

Lol ya the lanterns/colored lighting are a bit weird, but you know, its only stuff from Saint Lucia. Have yet to really figure out a color palette for lighting as well. Same for the crucifix/hammer, I'm having some custom textures made for the window (to make it a crucifix). Random cool fact - it's realistically mapped after a real cathedral :D.

And yes, it is gonna be a "real" mission, part of a bigger campaign/story, but I think I would need beta mapper status :)

Speaking of which, where can I apply for that?

Thanks,

GC

We're moving past the beta mapper stage and are now producing FMs. With beta status would you be prepared to take on a small project? It would be to produce a small complete FM in a couple of months. We have a startpack which makes the 'extras' easier, such as readables, AI, objectives, title loader, maps, whatever to produce an FM in the final Dark Mod FM format. This leaves you mostly free to build. But it must be a finished FM. We have found mappers are commonly inspired but over-ambitious and start great projects that would take so long they never finish them. A 90% finished masterpiece is worthless. There is a lot more to a playable FM than just terrain. ;)

The FM would be your own ideas, style, and creation. You could use your Cathedral as a start but if you have extensive plans for that then it would take too long for our purposes. But if you wish to just add a dozen side rooms and a small start courtyard then it is feasible to finish it in a reasonable time. We have found it possible to produce small to medium FMs in a month or so. That is what we need this year as players will be hungry for missions when Dark Mod is released.

Let us know if you're interested GC; your work looks really promising. :)

We're moving past the beta mapper stage and are now producing FMs. With beta status would you be prepared to take on a small project? It would be to produce a small complete FM in a couple of months. We have a startpack which makes the 'extras' easier, such as readables, AI, objectives, title loader, maps, whatever to produce an FM in the final Dark Mod FM format. This leaves you mostly free to build. But it must be a finished FM. We have found mappers are commonly inspired but over-ambitious and start great projects that would take so long they never finish them. A 90% finished masterpiece is worthless. There is a lot more to a playable FM than just terrain. ;)

The FM would be your own ideas, style, and creation. You could use your Cathedral as a start but if you have extensive plans for that then it would take too long for our purposes. But if you wish to just add a dozen side rooms and a small start courtyard then it is feasible to finish it in a reasonable time. We have found it possible to produce small to medium FMs in a month or so. That is what we need this year as players will be hungry for missions when Dark Mod is released.

Let us know if you're interested GC; your work looks really promising. :)

Well believe it or not, im already %30 done this mission. Everything is coming along very quickly (im a old dromed monster). I had big-ish plans for it (including it in a campaign), though I have no qualms stripping the story out and integrating it into whatever you guys have going.

So yes, I would love to map with you guys :)

You'd be using your own story. The missions currently being produced internally are all independent of each other; it's not a campaign, it's just an effort to make sure there are new missions available to play immediately upon TDM's release.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

including putting a team together (already half together :P ) and getting a campaign made, new voices/models, etc etc.

I assume you meant a team of two and just got yourself? Can you make your own voices/models?

(im a old dromed monster)

Can you show us something? Made any fm's?

I assume you meant a team of two and just got yourself? Can you make your own voices/models?

Can you show us something? Made any fm's?

Well I have several old mapping buddies that will be going in headfirst DRing a campaign with, as long as they are true to their word, (plus plenty of other connections), but that will have to wait till after The Dark Mod launch.

I'm no programmer, but I have a pro studio (day job) that I will do all recording (including voices), so its just a matter of recording and implementing. I'm not a modeler, though.

*sigh*, I wish I had my old dromed missions, but alas they died with my old HD 8 years ago. Never uploaded them, I was in those younger days much more ambitious, and much less experienced.

GC

That sounds familiar, I lost a lot of my dromed work over the years. But luckily I was able to find one unfinished mission to show the team when I was applying for betamapper. If you want you can upload what you got for the map so far so we can take a look at it.

That sounds familiar, I lost a lot of my dromed work over the years. But luckily I was able to find one unfinished mission to show the team when I was applying for betamapper. If you want you can upload what you got for the map so far so we can take a look at it.

I will in the next few days.

This is all what remains from my DromEd days, plus two images and I think two unfinished demo FMs I have on my PCs harddisk somewhere:

http://bloodgate.com/mirrors/thief/

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax