The Dark Mod Forums

I loved The Dark Mod!

Bulgarian_Taffer

Hi there,

I downloaded Thief's Den and Tears of St. Lucia and started playing these missions. I really, really love them! Actually, I have nothing to complain, except this bloom problem (good things the forums exist so I know there's a solution) ... The Dark Mod has a true Thief-like feeling.

I'm looking forward to try creating FMs...

It's great to work with!

Before long, you'll get it down and like it, I'm sure

And of course we're all here to help you if you have any questions. :)

And if you haven't heard yet, a good place to start is Fidcal's A to Z Tutorial in the Darkmod wiki.

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?...e_Start_Here%21

You can start building with the St. Lucia assets now, to start learning.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Thank you very much for your encouragement!

I have currently set up my DarkRadiant to thief's den, not to tears of st. lucia. I don't know the reason, but the lights don't render properly and the ais look almost transparent. In thief's den I have no such problem. But I suppose that even Thief's den is enough for a simple map, right?

Select your light, press L and you can select a texture in the right box that is used as the falloff image (white=bright, black=dark).

O well, you better finish the beginners tutorial first, this must be mentioned in it somewhere.

And I would recommend using mapping with Saint Lucia's stuff, since that has more and newer stuff.

Yes, you really should build with the St. Lucia stuff if possible.

There are so many things lacking in Thieve's Den, and the stuff that is there is very out-of-date.

But we should track down why you get those problems with St. Lucia...

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

What exactly is the problem you're having? Is it with your own mapping attempts or with the demo itself?

In addition to the above, screenshots can be useful in tracking down graphics problems.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

Hello,

I'm out of the city so I currently can't take screenshots. I'll take them later.

I have problems with the demo, not my mapping attempts. My hardware specs are - Celeron 1.5, 1 GB of Ram, 128 MB Video RAM, Intel 946 GZ integrated chipset.

I don't have any problems with playing Thief 3, Doom 3 (native and patched to the required version). The first mission from The Dark Mod - Thief's Den also runs fine and there are only one or two objectives I haven't completed.

I only have problems with Tears of St. Lucia. Initially I have trouble with visualizing the map, later I found it's related to the Bloom problem (described in one of the other threads). I downloaded the required file and now I can visualize the city. However, lights don't render properly in game. I changed render mode from "fast" to "standart", but it only partially fixed the problem. Now the flame of the torches look very dim, but at least it's visible.

AIs in the game also look strangely transpared and I barely see them.

Edited by Bulgarian_Taffer

later I found it's related to the Bloom problem

There isn't any "bloom" in St. Lucia, so I'm not sure what this would be.

I changed render mode from "fast" to "standart", but it only partially fixed the problem. Now the flame of the torches look very dim, but at least it's visible.

AIs in the game also look strangely transpared and I barely see them.

It's hard to tell just from your description. Are you sure the issue isn't the textures appearing black? That's a common problem if a setting is off in your doomconfig.

vIt's hard to tell just from your description. Are you sure the issue isn't the textures appearing black? That's a common problem if a setting is off in your doomconfig.

I'm not sure? What is the option to test?

Is it the AI's heads and hands that are completely transparent and you only see suits of armor walking around? That's a lightgem-related bug that happens rarely to some people (me), especially when particle effects are nearby like torches.

Yes, looks like this is the problem...

Afaik there is a option in the video options to use bloom, but for me it makes the world upside down. :mellow:

Yea the bloom for Doom3 is upside down if you use it in conjunction with Anti Aliasing. I can't use bloom at all though, or portal skies so no worries right? :P

Bloom isn't something that's officially supported by the mod, but someone hacked it in and there are people who like it. But it doesn't always work.

Yes, looks like this is the problem...

I get the transparent AI problem, and other models with alpha in them such as the bow go completely transparent any time there's particles onscreen (like torches). This is related to our lightgem code, but unfortunately no one's found a fix for it. The only things I can suggest are try different video drivers, or if you can stand running in windowed mode, it doesn't happen there.

Specifically, Maha_X allowed us to use bloom in TDM, and I added his code into the SDK and tweaked it a bit so it adjusts the brightness of light rays, glares etc when on.

Unfortunately, it seems it does not work properly on some ATI cards. It is purely optional of course, and is default off.

The problems like skybox not showing correctly, morphed view etc I am unable to fix.

What video cards should be avoided? I'm building a computer and preferably would like to get a very good ( not the best = $$) card that can be used with no problem for all thief games ( priority for darkmod)..

Thanks

M

Edited by Unwanted Guest