The Dark Mod Forums

Further idles animations, need ideas

Noisycricket

I think having only one stretching animations is probably a bad idea as that is what guards would be doing most of the time besides shifting around. Im having a hard time visualizing another good stretching animation, the ones i do in real life are downright goofy... :D Looking for ideas from anyone.

Second idea, following Arcturus's belt animation: adjusting the helmet. Would that work? Do other guards have full face masks? If that would cause any trouble, is there anything else i can adjust btw? Otherwise, i was thinking about doing a [scratch back of neck with one hand, other hand rests on waist while shifting weight back].

Sorry if this was answered already, but will the random head/torso movements be disabled for relevant animations?

Any other brain stormed ideas are welcome.

Oh, one other thing, will there be a place, either for 1.0, or in the future, for longer, more elaborate animations, like squills nose_wipe animation, or an examine_sword, or throw rock into air and catch...etc?

There was a nice animation on the old skeleton where characters leaned on one leg and tapped their foot. Looked very natural. You can see the builder guard play it in the animation map. I'd love to see that one ported over.

I would stay away from animations adjusting helmets as many AI will not have a helmet. Syncing up the head movements would also be difficult. For some reason the head's idle animation overrides playing other animations during idle_* movements.

There is a spawnarg that keeps the head from moving randomly during an animation...I added it to a few of them but I can't verify that it's working atm. Angua added that, I think, so maybe she can comment.

I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with longer idle animations, as long as they're not too distinctive. We will probably look into some kind of 'weighting' system in the future so that certain animations get played more often, and I'd like to see a way for mappers to easily swap animations in and out for certain AI, but that's all post 1.0 stuff.

Wouldn't it make more sense to finish the animations for the existing characters first (or where we do have characters with still the old skeleton) instead of adding more idle animations?

We also need some more animations for the horse, as well as maybe the raven (although I think that one is get cut anyway).

Just asking :)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Neither the horse nor raven are really priorities for 1.0.

There are still other animations needed for the human characters, aren't there? Last I checked we didn't have any archery animations yet. http://forums.thedarkmod.com/index.php?showt...;hl=draw++arrow

Ok, good. Well then, maybe we're at a point where we can start addressing some of the not-desperately-needed-but-nice-to-have animations? I'll compile a list.

Ok, good. Well then, maybe we're at a point where we can start addressing some of the not-desperately-needed-but-nice-to-have animations? I'll compile a list.

yes a priority list would be nice. Even better would be to combine it with the animation asset list. From what i gather the bow animations seem to be high on the priority list which are partly covered by Noisycricket.

Is the animation status sheet up to date? The combat animations are still red, yet they were uploaded i thought.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=rtq...fw&hl=en_GB

I've entered idle_warm hands, idle_stretch_2 and idle_shift_weight into the google status sheet and put my name by them, but i'll take my name off for now, since im doing the bow animations at the moment. So Dom, if you want to do the shift_weight or any of them, go right ahead.

.....just in case....

Domarius, I just started the bow animations today, so let me know if you really wanted to do the bow anim's too ( I just remember you put a smiley face after you mentioned you were doing the combat animations in the status thread) I can work on something else if thats the case.

I hadn't noticed Arcturus added a idle_shift_weight animation already so i deleted the shift_weight i added... The foot tapping animation definitely wouldn't be considered redundant with Arcturus's shift-weight, if i've seen the right shift_weight animation in the test map.

Noisy - yeah I just updated the sheet now.

Ish and I have been going back and forth with the combat anims so far, so I should probably continue on by doing the bow anims too.

My old anims that I intend to re-create on the new skeleton include rotating 90 degrees on the spot while idling, and some other idle anims, and threaten, etc. I'll be able to get a complete list when I get home. If I get around to doing them before anyone else, that means that some of the work might double up, so we'll have to update the sheet cause currently squill is assigned to some turn 90 degrees anims, and others.