The Dark Mod Forums

so what all do you guys think of ZeniMax's latests acquisition?

Sogi-Ya

Seems like you haven't received an actual kick in the guts lately, if you're feeling hurt by such a little announcement. ;) If it's true that John Carmack is happy about that deal, chances are that it's not such a bad thing after all.

As long as this doesn't compromise current id Software policy (i.e. opensource release of engine code after the end of the engine's lifecycle) I'm not too worried. Although in my humble opinion, Bethesda shouldn't *help* make Rage. That should stay id's. I don't like Bethesda RPGs.

Ha! So what if I am, huh? Anyways, I work better when I'm drunk. It makes me fearless! If I see a bad guy, I'll just point my sword at him. And saaaaaay "HEY! Bad guy! You're not s'pposed to be here! Go home or I'll stick you with my sword...'til you go...'Ouch I'm dead!' Ahahahah (hic) See? Ain't no one gonna be messin with old Benny."

tEh cArMAcK is giving interviews about it everywhere. At first I was surprised since id seemed to be proud of being independent all the time. Reading the interviews made me see the point here, seems like a good business decision to assure they can continue doing what they always did.

The canon is that things are not going to change fast:

JC: If we didn't make an announcement about all of this a couple of years could go by before anybody would probably notice anything different actually happening.

(from joystiq.com)

I take it this applies to Doom3's code to become open source as well.

It will be interesting to watch the long time development of this agreement, especially when it comes to Bethesda using id-tech (again JC):

A couple of our guys are going up there [bethesda] on Monday to demo a first look at Rage. Anything that they're interested in, we'll certainly have our technical people explain and they can look through anything they want. We'll help out in any way that we can but there's no mandate for any kind of technology sharing.

(from ign.com)

So if people at Bethesda look into these things they may choose id tech for one of their next games. Imagine using virtual textures for an Elder Scrolls game. All the places unique and different, for the first time...

:P

--

i got a soft spot for indi studios. Id has / was the shining pinnacle that you can make video games with out selling out to one of this "big guys".

i don't like this because:

#1 i don't like bethshitia.

#2 i see this as a big blow for indi studios, Id was something of a big brother figure to many of the other smaller studios. how many of those studios would be where they are today if they had to run through a parent company instead of dealing directly with Id?

#3 I smell merger in the air between ZeniMax and 2K, especially if 2K gets there hands on 3D Realms IP list. if all that happens we all can flush ( almost ) all hope of getting any original titles for the next few years down the crapper.

i almost believed the bit about Id retaining its Independence till i read quotes from carmack about this, I've read interviews with him before and comparing the two: this all sounds like corporate propaganda recited by some one who likes to be gainfully employed.

but thats all my opinion .....

There is a little voice in me that has a cynical edge, too. But the other side is that most everything id touches is market gold. It's a bit like Disney buying Pixar. In both cases, the parent company would be mad to undermine an environment proven for churning out fantastically marketable products, one after another, each for years now. What possible incentive would they have to press a new agenda?

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

All the places unique and different, for the first time...

In an Elder Scrolls game? Fat chance. :laugh: Even if they did use megatextures, they'd still be churning out a ton of generic content all over the place.

The texturing work even in Morrowind was actually really good, I don't remember noticing any obvious tiling. (Well, maybe in the desert areas a bit.) It's the repetitive content and gameplay that really killed it for me. Putting on a shiny coat of paint, even if the paint was different everywhere, wouldn't have solved that.

No, sadly, this deal means that TDM will have to be shelved. :(

:rolleyes:

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

@Sogi-Ya

I don't think you are giving enough credit to the minds of the people who operate Bethesda. Carmak and team are legends, they will let them do basically whatever they want with the resourced available at Bethesda.

Not doing so would be the same business plunder as New Coke.

Fact of the matter is Carmak is getting old and so are the gurus that work at ID. You can't expect them to keep working hard forever.

Yeah, you can't expect anything decent to be produced by a 38-year-old programmer. Programming is a young man's game, like football or underwear modelling. By the time you hit 30 you're way past it, and have to retire to tend your collection of bonsai trees and save up for that hip replacement.

Yeah, you can't expect anything decent to be produced by a 38-year-old programmer. Programming is a young man's game, like football or underwear modelling. By the time you hit 30 you're way past it, and have to retire to tend your collection of bonsai trees and save up for that hip replacement.

:rolleyes: He's always a business owner and operator which if you've ever been is tremendously stressful.

@Sogi-Ya

I don't think you are giving enough credit to the minds of the people who operate Bethesda. Carmak and team are legends, they will let them do basically whatever they want with the resourced available at Bethesda.

Not doing so would be the same business plunder as New Coke.

well thats part of the problem, i don't think highly at ALL of bethsedia!

( refer back to how i previously spelled there name )

i was a long time fan of TES and felt betrayed by what they did with Oblivion and so i didn't really have high hopes for F3 ... i wasn't surprised with the end result. but I'm also the type of person who has really, realllllly tried to like Bioware's products and i just cant stand them, same old cookie cutter crap each and every time. the only thing thats different from baulders gate -> jade empire is the GFX. same complaint with oblivion -> F3 same game only now you shoot flashy spells instead of cast them and the castles are made of steel textures VS stone textures.

Doom 4 and Rage will undoubtedly go out the door with Id flare but i will fully expect Doom 5 to start out with the main character in jail and a high profile film actor doing the voice over for a NPC who guides you through an initial tutorial and then dies.

Bethesda does have street cred that Emil Pagliarulo was the lead designer of Fallout 3, a well-liked Looking Glass Studio alumni that worked on all three Thief's.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

ehh, but that still dosent mean i like it.

F3 just isnt a fallout game to me, hell it made me think more of bioshock than oblivion but thats neither here nor there.

its like how metroid prime just "felt" like a metroid game but then prime 2 lost it, or how i can load up ST lucia and go "WOW this is thief!" but despite having the full license behind it Thief 3 just didnt have that feel.

Personally I thought Fallout 3 and Elder's Scroll were great games but I've never played their predecessors.

Anyways:

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/06/25/intervie...he-acquisition/

Sounds like what you need to read Sogi-Ya :)

It sounds like a really good business plan. ID remains pretty much independent in terms of development but also gets the resources from Bestheda to hurry productions and obtain economic security. While Bestheda gets ID tech as well and revenues from ID's sales.

Win-Win