The Dark Mod Forums

Im new =)

eddan

Hello guys, I am new from the Kbot forums (runescape botting) I am not so experienced user in programming but I understand abit in C# and java sdk.

I have been searching for a nice mod community and found this one thanks to my friend: theothesnopp

Well I didn't find a introductions forum so I posted it here.

Ok thanks :) I'll help you with the programming and, im not so good at programming but ill do my best and learn more. I have been using Hammer for Counter-strike Source and Left 4 Dead authoiting tools.

What programming language?

I love stealth/thievery games, that's why I bought the theif games and the elder of scrolls series.

Shorten up: I will be a Hybrid for you guys.

Programming/Mapping

I started off using hammer for HL1 and HL2, myself. What fun! Problem is, it's really hard for me to go back now.

In terms of programming language, we use C++ (or Doom 3's goofy equivalent) for a lot, including scripts (like weapons), GUIs (main menu), and also the main mod (including physics and AI).

I personally found that the best way to figure out the inner workings of the game is to sit down with Fidcal's A-Z Beginner's Guide! and start becoming proficiant in Doom 3 and Dark Radiant. Being the geek that I was, I also had fun futzing with some of the included scripts in Saint Lucia.

yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair

Yes, that's my recommendation too.

I'm not official, so can't say anything about programming contributions. But you can definitely start mapping and playing with scripts and other programming stuff now, and learning the ropes. And you should do that in any event.

At the top of this page is the "wiki" link.

Download and play St. Lucia's Tears. Then install Dark Radiant, use the St. Lucia assets, and go through Fidcal's A-Z tutorial. Then you can even start making your own map.

And to learn the ropes on programming, yeah, you can play with the scripts included with St. Lucia, and try different things. There's some tutorials in the wiki and, for Doom 3 generally, also on Doom3World.com and modwiki.net.

This is how a number of us started. I had 95% of a mission already built just with the St. Lucia assets before I applied to be a beta-mapper. And then I made some useful scripts just on my own initiative, things I wanted for my own map. It's a good way to learn how the mod works.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Thank you. I will go on vacation tomorrow for 4 weeks I will be back then, and ready for some weeks of mapping/programming. Then my school starts and I wont be able to work on the mod much (need good degrees).

See you in 4 weeks.

P.S; It was only a introduction letter, didn't know where to post it else..(Oh sorry, off-topic forum lol)

Sorry for my english, im only 14 and swedish :/

From an Angry Nintendo Nerd

Edited by eddan

Wow, 14? Reminds me of my grade school years. At 13 years old, in 7th grade, I sat down with my dad's "Visual Basic for Dummies" and got my first taste of programming.

The results (due to my maturing mind) are strangely hilarious; Drag an icon of a cow into an icon of a toilet and play a "flusshh!!" sound.

yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair

Well it's up to the other programmers to say whether or not you'd be suitable for sure, but I'd say if you haven't had any experience in C++ yet, it could be pretty slow going for a while, even getting everything set up and compiling might take a few days, getting stuck, posting, waiting till next day for response, etc.

• 1 month later...