The Dark Mod Forums

New Voice Sets Finished

Springheel

Like an idiot I went to delete one of my posts and accidently deleted the whole thread. Here it is in quotes:

Hi Everyone

Here are 4 new voice sets for the "Grumbler", the "Mature Builder", the "Thug", and the "Pro".

Since we will not be cutting them up each sentence into individual, properly named wav's, each character is one solid WAV. Don't worry though, the lines delivered are in the exact order of the script for easy editing. Whenever possible, I had the actor (in his normal voice) annouce "State Idle" (or whichever state the next few lines are in), as a landmark for your editing.

It has been properly mixed/mastered, with realistic dynamics for a more realistic in game experience. For instance, in the next room over from our studio room, you could not differentiate a real human voice from the actual recording.

Download wav's here:

http://morehzuhr.com/thedarkmod/thedarkmodVOICES.rar

PS: We left a couple "jokes" in voice sets...

GC

OMG!!!

I've only listened to the first few builder lines so far, but I'm LOVING it!!! :wub:

I notice that the actors often provided multiple versions of the same line, which is amazing. This sounds so good!! :)

:blink: WOW. And I'm only 2 mins in to the first 21 min long file...

Edit: By the Builder, these are awesome. Villain!

Edit: LOL! "These lights would try the patience of the Lord Builder himself."

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you don't have time to download the whole thing, you can (and should!) check out a clip of the "builder" and "thug" vocals:

http://www.mindplaces.com/save/builder_clip.wav

http://www.mindplaces.com/save/thug_clips.wav

Just got a chance to briefly hear into the builder set - this is truly good stuff. Cannot thank you enough, GoldChocobo!

Thanks guys!

If you need anything else please let me know.

If also you require any music (for an epic trailer I'm hoping) I'm sure we can help out in that aspect as well.

GC

Man that thug is crude! I'm actually shocked. :laugh:

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

The grumbler's got some good funny ones. Some of them are a little forced sounding, but others are quite a laugh.

"There's a man on the ground here. <_<"

Can hear his mood from inflection, that what he's really saying is, "oh for christ's sake. why is it always my shift? there's some guy laying there. I don't want to touch him. I don't want to have to file a report. Hello, can someone else deal with this?"

:laugh:

Man that thug is crude! I'm actually shocked.

lol. Actually the original script was a little worse. The actor replaced "shit" with "filth" or "dirt". But the accent is so perfect it still sounds crude. :)

lol. Actually the original script was a little worse. The actor replaced "shit" with "filth" or "dirt". But the accent is so perfect it still sounds crude. :)

LOL, "shit", "ass licking", and "Son of a bitch" sounded really un-med evil, so we switched it up :). "Son of a whore!" just sounds hilarious to me.

GC

HA! That thug is brilliant. I wouldn't mind hearing some actual yelling from the actors, though. "COME DOWN HERE....THIEF!" "B...AGH AAH! WHERE DID YOU COME FROM?!"

Oh: Niiiice weapon...

By the way, GC, are you slicing these WAVs apart yourself, or do you want me to help do the cutting and converting->ogg? I could also begin writing new soundshaders per character.

yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair

Greebo and I are handling the actual soundshaders, but we could definitely use some help cutting the file up into individual .wav files. I was going to work on the builder set and greebo was going to take one, so if you wanted to handle one of the remaining ones that would be great. :)

It wasn't so much that as getting blindsided with "I'll piss where I wanna piss!" Remind me never to share a house with that guy... or a job... or even meet him...

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

Greebo and I are handling the actual soundshaders, but we could definitely use some help cutting the file up into individual .wav files. I was going to work on the builder set and greebo was going to take one, so if you wanted to handle one of the remaining ones that would be great. :)

Did you want them to stay as uncompressed WAVs, or did you want them converted to, say, quality 8 oggs?

yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair

The first step is to cut them into pieces, into wav files which are consequentially numbered, so that the order is preserved. I'll then have to look into renaming them into the correct filenames. Maybe we need to adjust the volume of a few of these, or iron out any glitches if there are any. Then we can start looking into converting them to ogg, but that's not the task right now.

I'll be taking the thug character.

The first step is to cut them into pieces, into wav files which are consequentially numbered, so that the order is preserved. I'll then have to look into renaming them into the correct filenames. Maybe we need to adjust the volume of a few of these, or iron out any glitches if there are any. Then we can start looking into converting them to ogg, but that's not the task right now.

I'll be taking the thug character.

Yeah, just keep the exact order their delivered in and it shouldn't be hard to keep track of whats going on.

You shouldn't have to edit for glitches, as I don't think there are any. I don't mean to sound grandiose, but we went over every line and edited/engineered everything ourselves.

As far as volume levels, just let me know if you need it re engineered. So far we compressed/limited/filtered everything to sound realistic (whispers are quieter then yells, obviously), but within reason. Nothing "jumps" out at you, and the consonants are realistically kept under control with the right compression/filters. For instance, someone mumbling to themselves as they pass by is about half the volume as if they yelling at you in combat or persuit. If you try to normalize/compress the audio too much, you'll have all the consonants (particularly S's) EXPLODE whence the vowel is too quiet. It would sound like "I'll PiSS wheRe I wanT To PiSS."

So I take it everyone likes the thug the most? The grumbler was always my fav :).

Can't wait to hear these ingame!

GC

Well, I haven't listened to the grumbler yet. I look forward to hearing him in-game. :)

Chopping them up is going a lot faster than I thought.

I've been saving different versions of the same bark like this:

to_alert0_1 (first version)

to_alert0_1-1 (alternate version)

Also, I've found lots of opportunities to make a single bark more versatile by chopping it up. For example, the single bark, "Hark! Who goes there? Show thyself!" can also be saved as just "Hark! Who goes there?" and "Show thyself!" to provide three barks for the price of one. :)

Got the script, thanks!

Angua and I will look through the thug stuff and maybe even find a more suitable sound shader naming convention for the vocal set spawnargs. We're through with the splitting but then ran out of time - we'll continue tomorrow if everything goes well.

Does anyone with FM's in progress have briefing text or random player comments that they need recorded? Post them here and I'll have Brodie record them. His musical goes into production in two weeks time, so we should take advantage of his availability. He'll be on the Island for the rest of the summer though, so we can get more stuff done as it's needed. He also visits regularly, since this is his home...so he should be relatively easy to get new material from. :)

@New Horizon: which lines are you going to record? Is there a script somewhere so that we know what's already considered? General lines like "Creepy..", "Heh, heh, mine, all mine...", "Nice view", etc. can always be helpful, methinks.

@Mortem Desino: Angua and me are going to take the grumbler character now, as we didn't hear back from you.