The Dark Mod Forums

New Voice Sets Finished

Springheel

@New Horizon: which lines are you going to record? Is there a script somewhere so that we know what's already considered? General lines like "Creepy..", "Heh, heh, mine, all mine...", "Nice view", etc. can always be helpful, methinks.

Going to record all the player grunts and a bunch of general lines, similar to the ones you've suggested. Basic stuff that can be made good use of.

If there are any specific general lines that people want, post them here...as well as their voice over briefings. I'll re-record the briefing for Saint Lucia with Brodie too. It will sound much better with him.

I'm feeling recharged and rejuvenated after our vacation, and a trip to the doctor today revealed an infection in my sinuses that has been lingering around since I became sick in May. I was gradually flushing it out with pure cranberry juice and different medicinal roots, but I needed an extra kick and got a prescription for some meds to clear it up today. I think I'm finally on the mend. *fingers crossed*

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Going to record all the player grunts and a bunch of general lines, similar to the ones you've suggested. Basic stuff that can be made good use of.

If there are any specific general lines that people want, post them here...as well as their voice over briefings. I'll re-record the briefing for Saint Lucia with Brodie too. It will sound much better with him.

I'm feeling recharged and rejuvenated after our vacation, and a trip to the doctor today revealed an infection in my sinuses that has been lingering around since I became sick in May. I was gradually flushing it out with pure cranberry juice and different medicinal roots, but I needed an extra kick and got a prescription for some meds to clear it up today. I think I'm finally on the mend. *fingers crossed*

Oh Dude I've had chronic sinitus for years. It actually lead to my ears and destroyed them for awhile. I have tinnitus now due to that, though it's sloooooowwwly getting better... constant ringing of the ears is NOT good for someone in my profession!

go take some echenacia now!

PS: looking forward to finally replacing the doom grunts with some new ones!

Does anyone with FM's in progress have briefing text or random player comments that they need recorded?

There was this list from a while back:

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/index.php?s=&am...st&p=149475

I've given it some thought and here's how I'd break down the default vocals for release:

--Thug--

Thug, Armed Commoner

--Grumbler--

Citywatch lesser, Generic Guard, Commoner

--Pro--

Nobleman, Citywatch, Proguard

--Builder--

Builders.

I've given it some thought and here's how I'd break down the default vocals for release:

--Thug--

Thug, Armed Commoner

--Grumbler--

Citywatch lesser, Generic Guard, Commoner

--Pro--

Nobleman, Citywatch, Proguard

--Builder--

Builders.

Makes sense.

Curious, do we need zombie sounds? I was placing zombies in my level and duly noted the hurting vocal sets for the zombies. I'd be happy to record some sets for them :).

The ones we're using right now are just the default D3 ones. Personally I'd love to see some more 'tortured wheezing' ones like the original Thief games.

We're continuously working on it. The grumbler and the thug is already in SVN, and the builder and pro vocals just need to be renamed and sorted into shaders.

Angua and me only have a few hours at most to get anything done for the mod, so this is as fast as it can get.

We're continuously working on it. The grumbler and the thug is already in SVN, and the builder and pro vocals just need to be renamed and sorted into shaders.

Angua and me only have a few hours at most to get anything done for the mod, so this is as fast as it can get.

Cool beans... B)

Unfortunately work has slowed down for me as of late, and I have mass amounts of time to pour into my map... for now anyway. Its being completed at a horrifically rapid rate.

... That's horrifically rapid.

GC

Lines for the player could be:

"Hm, how do I get in?" "Is there no way out?" "What's this, then?" etc. e.g. a sort of generic remarks about any location. You probably can think of more of them as native speaker :)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Some off-the-cuff ideas:

"Long way down..." (straight out of Thief :) )

"Long way up..."

"What the?" "That's odd." "Hmm..." (some generic surprise barks)

"Well. So much for that." "Huh... it's not here." "It's empty..." (something is not as it should be... e.g. the special loot you were sent to steal is not in its expected location)

I don't have any specific need for any of these, they're just things I reckon might be useful, so feel free to ignore.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

NH: Here's the revised briefing for Heart of Lone Salvation. Thanks if you can get this recorded :)

"A lean take all year since I last heard from Sam, my informant. Maybe he was offended because I rejected the last dubious information he gave me about stealing Lord Edridge's gemstone - a heart-shaped mystical charm said to bring good luck to its possessor - but once only. Well a precious stone always has value in a thieves' market though I'd need good fortune just to get near. Edridge Hall no less! Locked up like Dalworth Keep with lights and guards out front. Back entrance guarded by high walls and in part of the town that's always sealed off to common folk. Yet here am I, Farrel, master thief, desperately short of funds, Sam's last resort screwed up in my bag, and with a possible way in to the private sector at least..."

Here are a few ideas that would be neat for my old mill:

"Huh, It is locked?"

"Why is it locked?"

"Who locked this?"

"Doesn't seem to open."

"Can't get in this way!"

"No way out here."

"Is there no way out?"

"What's this then?"

"Smells funny" and "Smells funny down here"

"I think I saw someone."

"Is somebody following me?"

"At last!"

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

If someone wants to create a scripted horror level, It's be good to get some cardio noise

Heavy scare *uneasy, shaky breathing* (loop)

Calm down *shaky -> lighter breathing*

Mid scare *lighter, shaky breathing* (loop)

Calm down*light shakes -> controlled breaths*

Low scare *deliberate controlled breaths* (loop)

Calm down *Slow breaths to one last quiet sigh -> silent*

*Labored heart beat*

*Labored -> calm heart beat -> silent*

I'm uncertain everyone would like the cardio noise. It was sometimes very tasteful in games (see Call of Cthulhu or Penumbra:Overture) but sometimes it's good to exclude it (see Clive Barker's Undying, F.E.A.R.)

also:

Startled "Ahh!" and/or Gasp (Player nearly fell to his death by losing his footing)

Player IS falling (~ 2-3 seconds, possibly to his death): "AH, AAaAAaaH!"

yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair

• 2 weeks later...

It's already been removed, hasn't it? I don't think it's usable, as it has only one of each type of vocal.

It seems to be the default. When I was doing the armed nobleman I could find no voice set on the armed nobleman 02 but traced it right back to the humanoid def where this default voice is set. I assumed that is what it is inheriting.

Are you sure you've got an updated version of tdm_ai_nobleman.def?

The armed nobleman 02 is using "def_vocal_set" "atdm:ai_vocal_set_pro_01".

And there is already an atdm:ai_nobleman_armed, which also uses the "def_vocal_set" "atdm:ai_vocal_set_pro_01".

Are you sure you've got an updated version of tdm_ai_nobleman.def?

The armed nobleman 02 is using "def_vocal_set" "atdm:ai_vocal_set_pro_01".

And there is already an atdm:ai_nobleman_armed, which also uses the "def_vocal_set" "atdm:ai_vocal_set_pro_01".

There is no def_vocal_set defined for entityDef atdm:ai_nobleman02_armed. It inherits from atdm:ai_humanoid_newskel which also has no def_vocal_set. That in turn inherits from atdm:ai_humanoid which has the base vocal set.

The vocal set for entityDef atdm:ai_nobleman I take to be civilian and not appropriate. I think I was warned not to use a civilian voice in the other thread?

atdm:ai_nobleman_armed is the one I have just committed and I gave it atdm:ai_vocal_set_base which is the reason for this inquiry.

The base vocal set is a valid one. It's set up to use the proguard sounds.

The old placeholder "test1Male" sounds have been abandoned and the actual OGG files can be removed right away.