The Dark Mod Forums

New Voice Sets Finished

Springheel

As last time, you can send us the WAV files, and we can take care of the renaming by script.

It's ok, it's just as easy for me to name them properly and save them as .ogg files.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last time, I also uploaded the split WAVs to sound_src, in case we want to edit specific lines or need some fixups. I try to keep working with WAVs and mass-convert them at the last minute, that way I have a full set of WAVs and OGGs.

Is that analogous to .tgas vs .dds?

I'm about half-way through the builder at this point...do you want me to switch to .wavs for the second half?

Hm, yes, please do so if you can.

The sound_src is kind of analogous to texture_src, only that it contains the WAVs, not the actual audacity projects or something. When we want to edit files, it's better to have the WAV files around than to decode and re-encode the OGGs again.

It looks like the last few Lord vocals are missing in the sound file. The last one that is there is the greeting to noble female, then the following are missing:

greeting_xpriest_1 "Greetings, Father."

Greeting Generic: A casual greeting

greeting_civilianxcivilian_1 "Greetings."

greeting_civilianxcivilian_2 "Well met."

greeting_civilianxcivilian_3 "Good evening."

Greeting Inferior. You're a noble and see a civilian. You're better than them.

greeting_noblemanxcivilian_1 "Stand aside, you."

Greeting inferior guard. You're a noble and see a guard. Evaluate their performance.

greeting_noblemanxguard_1 "Stay alert, man."

greeting_noblemanxguard_2 "Keep your eyes open!"

Generic Responses: These should be said fairly monotone and noncomittal, as they could be replies to many different greetings.

response_1 "Yes."

response_2 "Indeed."

response_3 "Quite Right."

Is it possible that they weren't recorded? Or maybe they are in another sound file?

Other then these:

greeting_civilianxcivilian_1 "Greetings."

greeting_civilianxcivilian_2 "Well met."

greeting_civilianxcivilian_3 "Good evening."

I can't find any of the others you mentioned. I scoured my masters and couldn't find them. I think the actor may have flubbed it and missed them. It was a paragraph on the last page, so its possible he didn't see the page itself.

Epic fail.

Well, I wouldn't call that an epic fail - apart from this small incident, the Lord set is absolutely superb. The most important sounds are there, I guess we can try to use other sounds as substitute for the missing ones. :)

I'm currently uploading the vocal set for the Lord to SVN.

Well, I wouldn't call that an epic fail - apart from this small incident, the Lord set is absolutely superb. The most important sounds are there, I guess we can try to use other sounds as substitute for the missing ones. :)

I'm currently uploading the vocal set for the Lord to SVN.

I can record those last lines, as I'm meeting up with the actor. 5 minutes of work on my part.

I'm updating the builder4 soundshader file now. I added two new shaders:

tdm_ai_builder4_greet_to_builder01 -- for greeting builders who aren't priests. Most characters would not have special vocals for this, but builders do

tdm_ai_builder4_greet_pagan02 -- another greeting specific to builders, for greeting pagans

tdm_ai_builder4_notice_pocket_picked01 -- for noticing missing attached objects (not sure if this already exists and I just missed it)

Sorry that was misleading. I just copied the filenames above. The shaders don't have numbers.

I'll be uploading the builder set shortly, I'm just fixing up the sndshd file.

edit: Actually, I'll upload the sound files now...half of them are .wav files that will need to be converted, but the names should be right.

Ok, the soundshader is up as well.

I'll start working on the simpleton now.

I've been cracking up working on the simpleton vocals. "...hey I'm winning!" :laugh:

Through with merging the extra vocals into the existing sets. It was quite some task, there were a few wrongly named shaders plus long upload times to sound_src. Hopefully we got everything right.

We've got everything we received in SVN now, including the WAV in split form in sound_src. The vocal sets are updated and are ready for use. (The wiki article can be updated.)

Now back to packaging.

@GoldChocobo: which lines should we include in the credits, with regards to the vocals?

Marcus Zuhr - main engineer; voices: the pro, zombies

Justin Moreh - engineer; voices: the thug, simpleton, young builder

Norbert Pek - voices: grumbler, the lord, mature builder, zombies

That's it so far. We cut an actor out, who just wasn't turning out. You never got his vocal package so no need for a credit on him.

I also have a voice actress for female vocals on standby, when the time arises.

Through with merging the extra vocals into the existing sets. It was quite some task, there were a few wrongly named shaders plus long upload times to sound_src. Hopefully we got everything right.

We've got everything we received in SVN now, including the WAV in split form in sound_src. The vocal sets are updated and are ready for use. (The wiki article can be updated.)

Now back to packaging.

Thanx a lot for all the work! Appreciated!

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Don't know if anyone mentioned this yet, but some of the vocals seem to be omnidirectional ingame, not coming from the direction of the AI like they should. Noticed it for sure in the proguard set, combat barks. This happens if the audio file is in stereo. It has to be in mono to be perceived directionally ingame.

It has to be in mono to be perceived directionally ingame.

The files, according to Audacity, are mono.

I'm pretty convinced some are not directional. I was standing on the raised floor in test/combat, turning my head every which way while they threw bottles at me, and the Builder's barks were directional, but some of the city watch barks were not. If it's not mono/stereo, maybe it's something else. I was just guessing that because it's happened in the past. I assume the sound shaders for vocals all have the same settings?

I'm pretty convinced some are not directional. I was standing on the raised floor in test/combat, turning my head every which way while they threw bottles at me, and the Builder's barks were directional, but some of the city watch barks were not. If it's not mono/stereo, maybe it's something else. I was just guessing that because it's happened in the past. I assume the sound shaders for vocals all have the same settings?

They are uber mono - or at least when I mixed them. I mixed them down to mono wav myself and sent them off to Spring/Greebo. Perhaps the ogg transfer changed them to stereo? I wouldn't know.