The Dark Mod Forums

Credits Update

greebo

I'm going to update the credits for release - so please post your textual corrections here.

I have quite a good overview of about who did what in the mod, but if anybody wants to be mentioned in a special way, please speak up here, it's your last chance before release. There will be a more comprehensive credits GUI, so it can be more detailed than before.

On this related note: who wants to have his real name displayed in the credits? Please say so now.

I'm going to put mine in, it's a bit more convenient when showing the mod to other people, who are not familiar with my screen name).

Yeah, I think I'd like both as well, if it's not already. Eric "Springheel" Pommer.

My nickname suffices :) I don't think I will ever work in the computer game industry, after all :)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

I don't know if I will ever work in game industry but the mod has already affected my career path. I showed a movie with the horse at my company in which I had a job copletely unrelated to art and two months ago they decided to give me a graphic designer job. Now I design layouts for web applications, icons, logos, etc. Putting my real name in credits might be a good idea :)

So, please change it to: Marcin "Arcturus" Twarowski.

It's only a model...

I would like my real name in the credits, if it's not there already: Chris Pelling

You can omit the nickname; the Firstname "Nickname" Lastname convention always looks extremely awkward to me. :) Thanks greebo!

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

:)

To be honest i hadn't looked at the Credits before, and just assumed its similar to the content of the authors.txt file.

Actually, we should update the AUTHORS.txt file, too. The "Credits" are just the more decorated in-game credits.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

Wow, greebo, that is so much cooler than I imagined!! :) The credits are actually worth watching now. And I love how you worked a bit of history into it. :wub:

Just a couple comments:

1. What should we do with members that have not really been active for the past several years? Blackthief, for example, has not really been "3D lead" for two or three years, since before I learned how to model. Same with Sparhawk, who I think would admit that he has not been "project lead" (whatever that means) for at least the past several years. I'm not sure it's fair to list them exclusively in jobs that have actually been done by someone else for at least half the project.

2. Not a big deal, but I'm not sure about Oddity having the only character modeling credit. He definitely did about 80% of what we're using, but we are technically using parts of Diego's thug, as well as a frankenstein mess of D3 parts and things I've modeled. And I suspect Oddity might have strong feelings about being associated with some of the characters I've put together using his meshes. ;) But it certainly would be misleading to give Diego or myself a full credit, so I don't know what to do there. Maybe, "additional contributions by"?

Wow, greebo, that is so much cooler than I imagined!! :) The credits are actually worth watching now. And I love how you worked a bit of history into it. :wub:

Thanks. :)

1. What should we do with members that have not really been active for the past several years? Blackthief, for example, has not really been "3D lead" for two or three years, since before I learned how to model. Same with Sparhawk, who I think would admit that he has not been "project lead" (whatever that means) for at least the past several years. I'm not sure it's fair to list them exclusively in jobs that have actually been done by someone else for at least half the project.

I've been pondering over that question myself very long. I don't know what to do here, really. I think they definitely need to be credited for what they've done (iirc, I already credited Gildoran for his coding work and BlackThief for his model contributions).

What do the others say? Should we leave those two job titles (3D Lead, 2D Lead) out of the credits? I kind of felt incapable of doing such a decision on my own, because I wasn't there when these two did their work.

As for sparhawk: luckily for us he's still here to answer this question on his own - what do you say, sparhawk?

Personally, I feel the SVN hosting must be credited duly, because without his SVN server we wouldn't been able to pull this off at all.

2. Not a big deal, but I'm not sure about Oddity having the only character modeling credit. He definitely did about 80% of what we're using, but we are technically using parts of Diego's thug, as well as a frankenstein mess of D3 parts and things I've modeled.

I didn't know for sure about Diego's meshes - I figured all the models we're releasing have essentially been made by oddity, his style was dominant, that's why I put him in as single character modeler. However, I don't have a problem with a section like "Additional Character Modeling" and put you and Diego in there? If one of the two 3D/2D leads is left out, I might have room for that. Would that be ok?

@Domarius: I'll put your name in like that.

@Ishtvan: I already used your real name in there. :)

Just saw the credits, very nice touches with the videos! And we got to use Douga's excellent music in there as well.

I don't have an opinion on 3d/2d leads. I think Sparhawk should definitely be credited for infrastructure somehow, for setting up SVN, initial coding guidelines and logging code, etc. Maybe it's fine as it is now.

We should also credit Brian Harris at Id IMO. While he stopped responding eventually, he was very helpful initially, and it might make Id happy if we acknowledge that help.

I included "Brian at id software" in our thanks.

(I think the music has been made by drewb50 - at least that's what the sound shader is saying. It has also been used for the trailer, if I recall correctly. Anyway, excellent stuff.)

I've been pondering over that question myself very long. I don't know what to do here, really. I think they definitely need to be credited for what they've done (iirc, I already credited Gildoran for his coding work and BlackThief for his model contributions).

Definitely they should be credited for their contributions. It's just the 'department lead' title that I think is misleading. Technically, I've been heading the "modeling department" (such that it is) for longer than BT did. And the implication of "project lead" (ie, that one person has been leading the project all this time) is also highly misleading, IMO.

I guess the easiest fix would be just to list everyone who was in that role at any point. So Texture Lead would be Renzatic and Gildoran. 3d Lead would be BlackThief and Springheel, Coding Lead would be Sparhawk and Greebo, etc. I think vocals is already set up that way.

Or, we could list the person who was active the longest in that job (you, me, and Gildoran) as lead, and the others as contributors.

Should we leave those two job titles (3D Lead, 2D Lead) out of the credits?

That's also an option. I could support any of them, really.

I don't have a problem with a section like "Additional Character Modeling" and put you and Diego in there? If one of the two 3D/2D leads is left out, I might have room for that. Would that be ok?

That would be fine with me.

:wub: Love the new credits with the videos etc. Nice touch.

A few remarks:

* Probably we should credit all the font creators? They are listed in AUTHORS.txt

* Maybe also add a page for people who host(ed) mirrors, updated moddb, the webpage etc? Edit: Kolja f.i. provided us with a bittorrent tracker.

As for the credits for Programming Lead and so on: I do find it odd that people who haven't done much (except maybe a checkin, and maybe a forum post) over the past two years appear in the credits like they were 100% active all the time, while other people who filled their role for over a year are complitely omitted there. It is esp. odd that a few of these people aren't even known (from posts or checkins) to me, and I have been here for about 2 years now :)

Maybe we could put years behind the entries like so:

Programming Lead

Sparhawk (200x - 200y)

Greebo (200y+1 - 2009)

That would certainly represent it better :)