The Dark Mod Forums

I Will Make Your Site!

Guest Degineth

Guest Degineth

I am web designer, and i can create profesional web sites, I can create Entirely Flash sites, Html, or hybrids. I will update a link here with one of my sites in portfolio soon. Let me know and i will make it so that you will drool :D. You will have all rights on it after i'm done..

Sweet! Sounds fun, but Springheel, Fingernail and others are the leads who will have to decide. A couple questions I'm sure will come up are: do you like Thief 1 & 2, and how familiar are you with the look, feel and ambience of them?

We'll also need to consider things from a maintenance standpoint. Springheel and others will probably want to know how easy it will be to update/add content.

What we could use would be some sites to give us an easy overview as to the progress. For example, we could use a page with tree hierarchy navigation where we can easily store models and textures as an overview.

Can you do something like this?

Gerhard

To answer your question Darkness_Falls. If i didn't like the thief sieries how do you think i came across this site? :D I love thief 1 & 2 and I love the fact that you guys put so much passion into making this game as it should be made, dark and rough, not user friendly as T3:DS.

"we could use a page with tree hierarchy navigation where we can easily store models and textures as an overview."

I'm not really sure what you mean here, but if you saw this on the internet then i can make it :D. Just give me more info on how you want this to look like.

I will make the site a hybrid between HTML and Flash so it can be modified and managed more easily.

Now i'm going to upload my latest work so you guys can make an impression.

I will make the site a hybrid between HTML and Flash so it can be modified and managed more easily.

No flash. I hate sites that have such animations and all kind of stuff. Nice and simple to use so that everybody can access it.

As for the navigation, something like this: http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default....ml/win32map.asp

Doesn't need to be so fancy, only that we can easily group the models into sections like this and have an easy way to add new models. What also would be good is to have an easy way to add comments to a model so we can keep track of how far this is progressed and in which state it is in.

Gerhard

I love the fact that you guys put so much passion into making this game as it should be made, dark and rough, not user friendly as T3:DS.

Ha, now that's the kind of attidude that endears anyone in my eyes)

What Sparhawk means is that we need an internal system for keeping track of all our models and resources, and a website layout would be the best way, so we can keep a visual reference of our assets.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

So what you actually need, if i got this corectly, is something where everyone working for this project can upload thier work and so everyone else can see what they've done and also to post comments on the piece. Correct me if im wrong.

Now, if this is what you want, this is a whole different story, this means you need web hosting, with a decent space allowance, wich i can't provide. If you have the web space then it's no problem.

As for the Dark Mod, i know you don't like flash, but some fancy animated buttons and a top design wouoldn't hurt, and the rest of the site to be in html.

So what you actually need, if i got this corectly, is something where everyone working for this project can upload thier work and so everyone else can see what they've done and also to post comments on the piece.  Correct me if im wrong.

Not exactly. We don't need to comment on it as we have the forum for this. The purpose is that we have a page for each group, where we can post a screenshot for each model. A comment should be added that describes in what state that model currently is.

Example:

--------------------------------------

[screenshot of builder priest]

Modelling: 100%

Texturing: 20 %

Animation: 0% (or none for static models)

Description: Arbitrary text

--------------------------------------

Now, if this is what you want, this is a whole different story, this means you need web hosting, with a decent space allowance, wich i can't provide. If you have the web space then it's no problem.

That's no problem as we have the webspace. Currently we have a single page where all models are shown. This page is a pain, because it loads rather slow. This will get worse when we add models to it, so we need to break this apart. And if we have an easy maintenance page, where we can add the comments and keep track fo the status.

As for the Dark Mod, i know you don't like flash, but some fancy animated buttons and a top design wouoldn't hurt, and the rest of the site to be in html.

No problem with a top design, but you should consider that Doom 3 also runs on Linux, so not everybody interested in Darkmod will have flash running. And the purpose of this particular site will be for development purposes, so we don't need fancy style there. For our public page we can discuss this, but not for this page I asked you for.

Gerhard

Guest Degineth

Ok, now it's all clear. I will make break everything into sections and make the images thumbnails so that the site will load 90% faster.

Now, im gonna start working on it, and i will post everything i've made as i progress, hit me with sugestions.

For wich sections we need you should contact Springheel and talk about the details. Best thing is if you register on the board, so you can send PMs. Once you showed us some work, we will consider if we should take you on the team and you must be regsitered in that case anyway.

If you can do this, then I think there will be no doubt, as we can use somebody dedicated who can maintain our website and do such stuff. :)

Gerhard

Coolness.

However, you say "no Flash," Sparhawk, but Macromedia's site says Flash is "installed on more than 97% of the Internet-enabled desktops and many popular devices, Macromedia Flash is the world’s most pervasive rich client."

Not to belittle Linux users AT ALL, but aren't they used to site's not showing up the way the webmaster intended by now, considering the pervasiveness of Flash?

Right now our external site is pretty static. Kind've lifeless. It's a great static site, but lacks life. I agree it needs to be spiced up with some Flash. It seems to me there are hardly any professional sites out there these days that don't incorporate Flash in some respect, especially on sites that have anything to do with gaming. With Flash, things can be livened up without being overdone. It's all about implementation and Degineth sounds like he has a good knowledge/appreciation of T1/T2's subtleness.

And as with many sites on the internet, perhaps a "non-Flash" version could be created to run parallel to our main Flash-enabled site. If this wouldn't be too much info to maintain.

EDIT: I don't care what gets used internally, but I don't think we should rule Flash out for the external site.

Edited by Darkness_Falls

Not to belittle Linux users AT ALL, but aren't they used to site's not showing up the way the webmaster intended by now, considering the pervasiveness of Flash?

When I browse the internet I don't encounter them so often. But most of the sites that emply flash are sites that have nothing much to offer anway. So what would a flash animation help us? It just takes a lot of loading time and I guess we have enough content to fill our website with this.

Right now our external site is pretty static.  Kind've lifeless.  It's a great static site, but lacks life.

Yes.

I agree it needs to be spiced up with some Flash.  It seems to me there are hardly any professional sites out there these days that don't incorporate Flash in some respect, especially on sites that have anything to do with gaming.

First. We don;'t have enough animated content to use this right now. And second, just take a look at the T2X site. It looks very professional and atmospheric to me, without any fancy application. And it also loads very fast because of that. That is a professionaly done site IMO.

With Flash, things can be livened up without being overdone.  It's all about implementation and Degineth sounds like he has a good knowledge/appreciation of T1/T2's subtleness.

Well, we can see a concept and then we can still decide if it is ok or not. But I would think something like T2X is much better.

Gerhard

Guest Guest_Degineth

I will make the site 100% HTML and after it's done I will add 10% flash and you can choose wich version you want. 100% or 110%. Oh and about the loading part it will not take more then 20 kb.

The font is called Carelton. It's available from the Thief font pack from The Circle website, but I don't know the address offhand. You should be able to find it with a google search.

I have them here anyway.

There'a also a Thief font by the Riddler, the font that is used to write the THIEF logo, but it's not in this pack.

thief_fonts.zip

Edited by oDDity

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

The top logo that you created looks very good. :) And I also like how you put the models. The only thing I don't like as much are the borders and the font/colour. It gives me the impression of a monchrome terminal somehow. It looks to technical to me.

Gerhard