The Dark Mod Forums

I Will Make Your Site!

Guest Degineth

dear degineth

thanks for your time.

I wanna make some personal comments..

1- I think the GLOW around the text is too big and color is seriously wrong..You can try little bit more Thief Colors, which is more dark night blue. And glow itself is huge and its opacity level seriously much. It annoyed me..but again it s my personal opinion.

i am adding the link of my favorite thief page for you..

http://www.thief-thecircle.com/

Of course our website is drastically different but the mood and color tones must be similar like this..

2- And personally i dont like that much thick boxes in the website designs, everything can be mixed smoothly. Plus The upper titles are not in harmony. Text sizes are different and therefore attention is on the "FAQ" title.

3- I loved your smooth transition on the banner. But i think the pictures are not suitable. Springheel's banner (original banner) is conveying the MOOD of the city. Overhere you are seeing a Wall and a closed window and a dark corridor..

Because of that shot is yellow-orange color you probably chose the yellow Glow.. I think it would be nice to Reconsider our original banner (which is hand drawn and for me much more precious) and play with right side of that banner...Just an idea..

If you think about the meaning of the banner it s so much better to give some WIDE looking cityscape than a wall and dark corridor.. what do you think..

But again thanks for your time..(you worked till morning..). This is my personal opinion..wait for the others..especially the LEADS...

BEST

Edited by TYROT

The dark version is IMO much better. Still there are some issues. :)

The text "The Dark Mod" somehow doesn't work. Maybe there is to much dark glow around it or something but it doesn't look that good. As if it doesn't really belong there.

And the normal text is to dark for such a dark background. The mood is very good but there is not enough contrast for good reading.

Gerhard

i think the golden version or whatever its name is not too bad..

howver those pics on the sides of posts are a bit blurry and not blends with the color of the background correctly..

also the glow on buttons are strange..

Edited by _Atti_

I prefer the one we've already got. This one is pretty much the same anyway. Either completely redesign differently, or just leave it and write that internal asset tracing system we need.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

I agree that this isn't exactly what we're looking for. Of course, redesigning the main website isn't exactly crucial right now. We would much rather have an internal website for cataloguing our models and texures.

Springheel what I did is a redesign of the main site, as for the internal website, give me more info of what you exactcly need, i didn't quite catch the ideea. So at the moment what I did was to give the old site a fresh look, I hope you like it, and put it up.

Well, as I said, it isn't really what we're looking for. I like some of the things you did, but overall the appearance isn't really an improvement over what we've already got. We're not goingt to change the website just for the sake of changing it.

As for the internal website, that was what Sparhawk described to you earlier. A way for us to keep track of models that have been completed.

im a thief fan and I just found out about the dark mod from the doom mods site, great job with the mod but looking at other doom mods sites, this one looks rather poor. i don't know if i have the right to say this but your site needs an improvement, and i realy like what degineth did. just my opinion, a new look is always welkome, plus you have nothing to lose.

i will be wathing your progress :), btw do you have a realese date?

im a thief fan and I just found out about the dark mod from the doom mods site, great job with the mod but looking at other doom mods sites, this one looks rather poor. i don't know if i have the right to say this but your site needs an improvement, and i realy like what degineth did. just my opinion, a new look is always welkome, plus you have nothing to lose.

i will be wathing your progress :), btw do you have a realese date?

Thanks for dropping in. We don't have a date set for the release of the Toolset at this time. The doom SDK was released in October and we've been making great progress since then, but I think we will hold off on setting a date until we feel we have a solid set of editing tools to give to the community. :)

Hey Degineth - Thanks a lot for trying so hard to help us out with this! You've put so many tired hours in to make us happy, and that's definitely appreciated! I know it's early in the development, and that our team leads' main desire is to have the internal site built, but I thought I'd offer some constructive feedback. Based on your mockups, I feel we're still a ways off from having the a final version that we'd all be happy with and hope you can understand this -- despite the number of hours you've put in. I've built a few other websites myself, so I know it can be a time-consuming process.

DarkMod members: Stop reading this if you're bored with my post already or don't agree that I should give feedback at this point :P

If it's any consolation, I prefer the direction of the bluer site. Here are my quick thoughts, though. (I know this process is going to suck for you, since everyone will have different ideas.) I'm not a team lead; so take my thoughts for what they're worth. If nothing else, or if my teammates don't agree with anything I say, just take these things as feedback and do with them what you will. I'm only trying to help. Some things I mention have already been mentioned by others.

In regards to the blue site:

(1) The colors seem a little too "Thief 3," in general, for my tastes. The powder blue in the top title definitely reminds me of T3. Also, the font colors in the body of the page are a little dark and hard to read on the black background.

(2) The pictures on the left, on the News page, are a little dark. I understand the attempt at doing an effect there, but the images just don't pop out enough. I'm also trying to figure out if there's a pattern to the images used there (as far as what chracter gets posted with what news item -- like, are they icons?), but I don't see one. That's a bit misleading to my eye.

(3) The powder blue horizontal line between news items doesn't seem necessary. Adds clutter. Separation between news items could be improved, in general. Indents, etc., could be used.

(4) I like the initial functionality you're building for the Gallery page. I hope you can expand on this idea more, refine it more and make it faster to navigate. Maybe even add an "expand all" button so broadband users don't have to expand each category individually. I must admit, though, that I miss the "immediate gratification" I feel on our existing site where you immediately start seeing concept artwork and the such when you click the Gallery link. No need to go into 10 different folders to view screens and concepts.

(5) Is there a way to pre-load the top menu bar rollovers and cache them in the user's browser so there's no pause in the image changes when you hover your mouse over them? Obviously Flash would do it, but I know you're trying not to use Flash at this point.

(6) The top banner could use some graphical work. Do you have a portfolio of artwork you've done so we can gauge your artistic capabilities? If you're fairly new at Photoshop or creating orignal artwork, I'm sure one of us could work on the banner and other graphics to help out.

(7) I'm with you, though. I can totally see our site in Flash... but I know several of my teammates hate Flash for some reason :ph34r: *sigh*

Also, we wouldn't be able to use those glyphs in the screenshots and gallery sections. Being part of Thief they would belong to Eidos.

But we could create our own icons if we wanted. I like the glyphs; maybe we could change their designs? If not, we could definitely create something else to use as small icons.

I've made a better looking site than the one it's up now, I've made it more practical, i managed to decrease significantly the load times, gave the old grumpy site a new look, but still you don't want to use it.

Sorry, I didn't see the last few posts before I just wrote my long-winded post there. Didn't realize the conversation was getting so heated. Here are more thoughts:

"Better" is subjective. I feel you've done a great job so far; I personally don't want you giving up just yet. I also feel Springheel did a good job with our existing site. However, I'm of the firm belief that neither your's, nor his, look finalized enough for me to give my personal final stamp of approval. Neither of them look polished enough.

In all honesty, I know you have spent several hours on this so far, but it's hard to create a completely finished, polished website within 3 days; no matter who the client. Obviously simplistic websites can be whipped out in a few hours, but to make them truly refined -- taken to the next level, if you will -- it can take much longer.

When you proposed this, I thought this was going to be a couple week process, at minimum. To wish for things to be done and agreed upon within 3 days of starting is a little unrealistic, imo. At this point, I still prefer Springheel's site. Maybe it's because I'm used to it, but no -- I think it's just easier for me to look through all the info faster. But I have broadband, so load times aren't an issue for me. I don't know what 56K users think. So with that, I'm not seeing the big reason to switch over just yet. With more polish on your's, I feel the time would definitely come to switch over. But you must understand it's only been 3 days.

None of us have had time to revamp Springheel's site yet, so it has remained. I hope you can apply more time to working with us; refining and building the mockups to really make everyone go "Wow!" It can be done, you just have to be patient with the process and try not to take our feedback personally.

Since the internal site wouldn't be viewed by others and is based more on functionality than looks, I think you'll probably find that to be a less frustrating site to start with.

Cheers!

-Darkness Falls

Thank you very much for the response, I really appreciate it. I've taken in consideration all your sugestions and I'm ready to do some changes to it.

Seeing so little apreciation from the group I'll just readjust the site based on your feedback and add it to my portfolio, so in the end I would still like to thank you all for the sugestions and for the fact that without you existing i wouldn't have had this site to add to the portfolio.

I'll be watching your progress from the background.

Good Luck.

No problem. You're welcome! I hope you don't leave just yet though. Please read my last post. I think I was writing while you were writing...

Seeing so little apreciation from the group I'll just readjust the site based on your feedback and add it to my portfolio, so in the end I would still like to thank you all for the sugestions and for the fact that without you existing i wouldn't have had this site to add to the portfolio.

It's not that all don't like your site. Personally I think it look sgood but it needs still some work. That is nothing personall or means that you are not good engough, but you must consider that we have about 15 people on the team and all have a different view. So we should try to create something that most can live with. :)

When I worked with Tyrot on the trailer I also told him things he should change and he became very grumpy at me after some time because I always found something that should be done better. So this is not something special to you, this is the way the mod works. We don't want something where people say"Darkmod? Yes, that's this mod from Doom3 doing a thief thing, isn't it?" We want people to say "WOW! You have to check this out, this is how Thief should have been and if you are a Thief fan you can not miss it!."

Gerhard

you know what I think, i think that Springheel has a big ego and doesnt like the fact that changing his site would improve the quality of your product in the eyes of new visitors.

Just a tip for future reference...when you're trying to get accepted as a team member, telling the Division Leader you would be working for that he has a big ego is not high on the list of successful tactics. We're looking for team members with a certain maturity level in *addition* to whatever skills they can bring to the team.

:rolleyes:

It might be so that YOU THINK this is what the site should look like. But to this I must say. It is our mod. We are doing the design and all the content ourself, and therefore WE have the right to decide if a website suits our taste or not. And if you want to design OUR site, then you must accept this. This does not mean that you are not allowed to bring your own ideas. We are very open, and all our division leaders are usually very open to suggestions. Our mod hierarchy is not set up that the division leaders say what has to be done and the "lowly members" have to do wathever we say no matter if they agree.

Personally I like your page, even though it is NOT a deisgn where I would say "WOW!", but since most of our members are not happy with it, we will not use it as it is now. If you can not accept this I can't help you but that's the current standing.

I'm sorry that you invested your time without the result you hoped for, but we are trying to set a high standard and every our content creators have to deliver this.

Gerhard

dear Degineth

Im working profesionally in this visual industry for 10 years. I spent my life with the teams from Hollywood to Europe in so many different projects.

AND i know what EGO is. ANd i think you HAVE one. Springheel is a terrific traditional artist. Everytime im asking something from him Im getting most honest replies. DO not EVER try to BLAME him for your incompleteness...He is a enormously kind person and stylish artist. You have chosen a very wrong person to attack...

Everyone can critisize everyone. In pro teams if you take it personally they put you out of the team right away.Because you show your KiDDO EGO and no team accept KIDDO EGO..(industry tip)

And i dont write this kind of messages but you are attacking MY TEAM's ART DIVISION LEADER and a very Lovely PERSON. Sorry but review what you are saying about him. You cant blame a person if one doesnt like your website.

And you should be thankful that we decided to not reply this kind of messages personally..

And a personal advice NEVER EVER approach like this to a team. Im modelling same object sometimes over 10 times ..The trailer you have watched completed after 20 different versions...

Im only tolerating your message because i feel your passion for your job and you are a young eager soul....but do not let it make you blind...We all have very serious passion about our work and we all have seen many webpages, many photoshop tricks many visual designs...

And hopefully you review your message before some members reply to you..

I was having good feelings for you because of your passion, but you have destroyed your own image with your blind attacks. Im really sorry for this.

BEST in future

Edited by TYROT

Yet again your ego takes over.

Degineth. What a sorry ass you are. You think spamming our board will help you? You can stick your page up your ass.

If you think you have to continue spamming feel free to do so. I have a script running which will kill your threads now anyway.

From your postings I noticed that you can not stand up to criticism, which is a requirement to work on a team. Spamming our board just shows how childish you are and that we were right in not taking you into the team.

Gerhard

Just to clear things up, because there seems to be a confusion about this issue. Degineth was banned from the site. Not because we couldn't agree on the proposed site, or because there was some name calling, but because he started to spam the forum with many useless threads he created, and he started to spam some of the email accounts from members by sending mass emails and signing up to mailing lists.

Gerhard