The Dark Mod Forums

I can not install Doom 3

Tudor

I got to borrow my friend's DOom 3 as I wanted the Dark Mod, but as I've had it previously installed on my computer, and removed it without using an uninstall it left a whole lot of files everywhere, and now when I try to install it says "Another version of this game was installed, please remove it, blah blah"

I decided a good thing to do was to go through a deep search for things named DOOM and found some shortcuts and an uninstall file, the uninstall did not work so I decided I'd try to snoop out what data the install found related to Doom 3, I began with the registry, it took a lot of time, but every entrey related to "doom" is gone.

And when that didn't help I decided to go remove those files the search got me. It must have done something because it doesn't show up in the "uninstall programs" application on the control panel any more. But it still won't install, and still says I have it already.

So does anybody know what I should do in this situation, what files might be left and what to remove to completely uninstall it?

Did you also delete all "Id" (Id Software) registry entries (be careful if you have other Id games installed)?

Do you still have a "Doom 3" folder on your hard drive?

If all else fails you can just do a manual install. If you do a manual install and can't patch the game then follow the instructions here

Thank you Leatherman and Noisycricket for your tips, installing manually (which was suprisingly simple) worked very well. it also patched fine even though it asked me which version I had. You just have to click "next" at that part instead of selecting any language version.

Now I#m going to try and install The Dark Mod!

Edited by Tudor

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recent Status Updates

• Ansome

Turns out my 15th anniversary mission idea has already been done once or twice before! I've been beaten to the punch once again, but I suppose that's to be expected when there's over 170 FMs out there, eh? I'm not complaining though, I love learning new tricks and taking inspiration from past FMs. Best of luck on your own fan missions!
      · 4 replies
    • The Black Arrow

I wanna play Doom 3, but fhDoom has much better features than dhewm3, yet fhDoom is old, outdated and probably not supported. Damn!
      Makes me think that TDM engine for Doom 3 itself would actually be perfect.
      · 6 replies
    • Petike the Taffer

Maybe a bit of advice ? In the FM series I'm preparing, the two main characters have the given names Toby and Agnes (it's the protagonist and deuteragonist, respectively), I've been toying with the idea of giving them family names as well, since many of the FM series have named protagonists who have surnames. Toby's from a family who were usually farriers, though he eventually wound up working as a cobbler (this serves as a daylight "front" for his night time thieving). Would it make sense if the man's popularly accepted family name was Farrier ? It's an existing, though less common English surname, and it directly refers to the profession practiced by his relatives. Your suggestions ?
      · 9 replies
    • nbohr1more

Looks like the "Reverse April Fools" releases were too well hidden. Darkfate still hasn't acknowledge all the new releases. Did you play any of the new April Fools missions?
      · 5 replies
    • The Black Arrow

Hope everyone has the blessing of undying motivation for "The Dark Mod 15th Anniversary Contest". Can't wait to see the many magnificent missions you all may have planned. Good luck, with an Ace!
      · 0 replies