The Dark Mod Forums

Pick! Me!

Maus

I would like to be a part of your teem! I am a skilled Artist, and hope I can contribute to this exciting Thief stile mod! I would like to contribute my skills as a:

Concept Artist

Texture Artist

3D Modeler

Animator

I don’t have a lot of samples of my 3D work available online but you can fined sum of my Furry art here:

*** Pleas Note: there is adult content***

http://vcl.ctrl-c.liu.se/vcl/Artists/Maus/

I can also email some Concept Sketches I did for Mountain Man Online Games awhile back if you would like to see it!

As a relatively new artist to the game seen I need to develop more portfolio work and when I found your mod I just about freaked out! Thief is like my favorite game! And in my free time I have been working on a Java Real Time 3D, Fantasy/Steam-punk role playing game! So working on a Thief stile mod would be like a dream come true for me! I hope there is room for me on your team!

Pleas test my skills and see for your self what I can do to help your project! I look forward to working with you! Thanks for your time!

Regards, Maus

We are certainly in need of 3d modellers. Your artistic style seems very manga-esque, which isn't quite the look we want for thief. Do you have any examples of modelling that you have done?

I have more art examples then what you can see at my VCL archive, the problem is I have no place to up load work at this time! Yes I like the Japanese styles of art but if you look at: http://vcl.ctrl-c.liu.se/vcl/Artists/Maus/...ptsSketches.jpg I think you will see I can do just about any stile that is needed. The problem with the VCL archive is they have content restrictions on the types of art that can be uploaded: only Furry Art. This stuff is more of my hobby art it’s like my favorite pastime (other then being a pervert, lol).

If you don’t think I can pleas test my skills and ask me to drawl something for your project.

As fare as modeling and animating go I am not as experienced but I assure you I am very good with sculpture: http://vcl.ctrl-c.liu.se/vcl/Artists/Maus/...01-by-date.html and 3D modeling. As I have mentioned I have no place to up load this stuff. I could send an email with some other art and 3D models if you want to see what I am capable of. I will have to spend some time at home scanning and prepping my other work to show you. Because I cant really use office time and equipment on personal projects. But they do let us getaway with some surfing and non company emails.

But I am going to spend the money and get an ISP so I can up load more of my work to show you better what I can do. I have been trying to save money so I could up grade my computers (I need to get a MS SQL server to test/develop my database code for my personal project). Most of what I am working on now in my free time is managing large dynamic persistent environments, which can be streamed over the web, searched, ext...

Well at any rate if you would like me to prove my self by just jumping rite in to the modeling or art asset generation pleas feel free to test me! I see working with your teem as a chance to diversify my portfolio and grow more skilled as an artist!

But if my willingness to work for free isn’t enough I will be glad to take the time to get my portfolio site back together and pay to host it online so to compel or prove to you that I am a talented and creative artist. that would like to help with your Thief style project.

Regards, Maus

Maus,

Please understand that we're not rejecting you, we're just interested in seeing some more thief style artwork, and particularly computer modeling work. You obviously have excellent artistic ability, and your sculpture is quite impressive.

Meanwhile, you can show us some of your other stuff by uploading them to a free service. Not a great permanent solution, but it will work to at least show us some things. Try www.deviantart.com or www.photobucket.com to upload some images that you can then link here. (Note that you should link the images and not place them in-line on the forum page.)

If you want to get your hands dirty with some quick models or concept sketches, here are a couple suggestions:

Concept sketches of architecture, furniture, in game objects, and decorations.

Concept sketches of level design elements; scenes containing guards and the thief, for instance, that convey the mood and setting of a level

Concept sketches of characters and designs for builders, guards, pagans, zombies, or the thief.

Modeling any of the above; untextured is probably fine. A textured model might be nice to view your skills at that also.

Keep in mind that we're looking for an appropriate style for concept sketches. Style isn't quite as important for modeling, but it still plays a factor. If you are unfamiliar with the kinds of things we're looking for, make sure you've played through at least the first couple Thief games :)

The reason I am so excited about helping out with this project is because I love the Thief series its one of my favorite, I have played the first 2 several times! But I haven’t kept up with the series since then, just haven’t had the time to play many games, all work and studying to get in to the game industry.

I would prefer not to post to some free art archives, like deviantart after carefully reading there user agarments, they can retain the rights to uploaded works. AKA it now belongs to them!

I will have a host soon, and will try to display as much of my work there as is possible.

Till then I would like to start on some Concept Sketches of Environments. Then after you approve of my ideas I will Model, Texture & Normal Map all the recourses needed for sed environment. (design before you implement right?) Then with the peaces of a map in hand I could design a level or 2 or 3 using the assets.

To help me better understand what your project needs:

Are adventurer(the Thief)’s desire for wealth leads him to loot Ancient Ruins and raid Dens of Evil Creatures. Or duss the hero have other motivations?

Have areas already been decided on, or should I just make a place up?

Do you have a story I should try to follow with my concepts?

What creatures have an influence on this environment?

Hum built it and why?

Ext…

If there is already a design in place pleas give me what information you think would be helpful in making concept for you as a test to prove my self.

Thanks for giving me a chance to help with this project.

Regards, Maus

• 2 weeks later...

My apologies for not posting sooner, the multimedia company I work for is getting shut down (the owner spent all are money on his drug problem… :angry: ) so I had to work 3, 12 hour photo shots last week to try and wrap up are projects, so we could get are last paychecks and leave this sinking ship with what we are owed. :(

But now that that’s almost all over I will have more free time to work on art for your project and to fill out my portfolio! So in all I am happy! :D

:unsure:After closer review of what is posted on this mod's site: :unsure:

I would like to come up with a unifying theme for the environments. You know how the hammers had control over most of the cities and there influence was seen in the design and architecture of the first and second Thief games.

If we are going to try and have some originality and not make reference to any intellectual property of Eidos as part of the Thief Franchise. We will have to come up with some original ideas even though we are going to mimic Thief stile of game play. We should have a story line with different characters (no hammers, no druids, ext), different environments that help drive your plot? And even a different mane character that is more then just a vial over his face away from the design of the Thief in the game we are takeing inspiration from.

I think this is a grate idea for a mod but I think we need to decide on whether or not you are Photocopying Thief or Inspired by Thief?

If what you want is to copy thief (for the irony of stealing thief) I don’t think you need artists like me, because Eidos has already dun all the creative work for you.

However if you want to create something new and original I will gladly help beaus I love the Thief stile of FPS games and would like to work on an original mod of that nature.

I am not trying to upset any one with this post I just don’t want to be part of copying another artist ideas and claming them as mine. It looks bad in a portfolio and I am planning on going in to the game industry with my portfolio as a compelling demonstration of my creative ability’s. So you see, I just can't redraw the past Thief games and call them my work...

I want to work with this team but if we are not going to do any thing original my time is probably better spent working on a different mod. :(

Edited by Maus

I believe this mod is divided in two sections: First, the mod itself (with all the models/textures etc) so that people can make Thief fan missions. Second, we are probably going to do some kind of campaign, which I think (and hope!) will be something original (with a style more towards the Victorian era).

Edited by pakmannen

If we are going to try and have some originality and not make reference to any intellectual property of Eidos as part of the Thief Franchise. We will have to come up with some original ideas even though we are going to mimic Thief stile of game play. We should have a story line with different characters (no hammers, no druids, ext), different environments that help drive your plot? And even a different mane character that is more then just a vial over his face away from the design of the Thief in the game we are takeing inspiration from.

I think this is a grate idea for a mod but I think we need to decide on whether or not you are Photocopying Thief or Inspired by Thief?

If what you want is to copy thief (for the irony of stealing thief) I don’t think you need artists like me, because Eidos has already dun all the creative work for you.

However if you want to create something new and original I will gladly help beaus I love the Thief stile of FPS games and would like to work on an original mod of that nature.

I am not trying to upset any one with this post I just don’t want to be part of copying another artist ideas and claming them as mine. It looks bad in a portfolio and I am planning on going in to the game industry with my portfolio as a compelling demonstration of my creative ability’s. So you see, I just can't redraw the past Thief games and call them my work...

I want to work with this team but if we are not going to do any thing original my time is probably better spent working on a different mod. :(

Based on the direction we're taking I'd say that we're gonna end up somewhere in the middle. Some of our stuff will be inspired from the Thief series, like we might have some parallel of The Builders and Pagans in there, but that doesn't mean we're not gonna be throwing in tons of our own ideas, concepts, and maybe even factions.

The mod wouldn't be nearly as interesting (at least to me) if we were just doing a straight up photocopy of the Thief universe without any of our own creative flair added to the mix.

• 2 weeks later...