The Dark Mod Forums

Odd looking idle anim

Noisycricket

One of the idle animations that plays when the A.I. are walking and sitting (do they all? I don't know) looks very strange. I think its one of the idle animations that has the A.I. stretch their legs, like idle_scuff. The arms go out to the sides making the walk cycle look strange, to me anyway. I don't think it adds anything to the sit or walk and i wanted to suggest taking it out. I'll be glad to put adding a replacement on my to-do list.

Theres 3 idle animations having to do with the legs/feet as the focus, at least as far as im aware. One is the scuff boot, which i see in model_src (which i've never seen play in the idle_animations.map), then is the one where the a.i. will go up on the balls of there feet, then the last, which im not sure whats going on really. I think its the last one.

Sorry, that's not really enough to go on. I haven't noticed this myself, so I'm not really sure what you're referring to. A screenshot or something might help.

According to the tdm_ai_builder_guard.def, under "idle_animations_torso" and "idle_animations_sitting", Im assuming its got to be either: idle_shifting1 or idle_shifting2. Both are feet shifting animations. I'd recommend taking them out, I'd gladly create some replacements.

To see them, simply load up test/idle_animations and watch the walking guards and to see them while sitting, i'd recommend taking a look at the A.I. in the office of the lower floor of the Museum in Builder's Influence.

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed these two animations are still playing for walking and sitting, do those text strings just need to be removed from the "idle_animations_torso" and "idle_animations_sitting" sections in all of the A.I. def files?Or did someone decide they like them.

I noticed these two animations are still playing for walking and sitting, do those text strings just need to be removed from the "idle_animations_torso" and "idle_animations_sitting" sections in all of the A.I. def files?Or did someone decide they like them.

I didn't look at this issue at all so far. If those anims look ridicolous while walking or sitting, then yes: these are in fact the lines in the def file.

You can commit that to the release branch, if you like.

edit: nevermind, I removed it already.

Wait, I thought we weren't making any minor adjustments at this point? I have a few minor fixes that I haven't added because I thought we were only addressing major bugs.

I didn't look at this issue at all so far. If those anims look ridicolous while walking or sitting, then yes: these are in fact the lines in the def file.

You can commit that to the release branch, if you like.

edit: nevermind, I removed it already.

I tried to remove it, but saw that you had. Thanks.

Wait, I thought we weren't making any minor adjustments at this point? I have a few minor fixes that I haven't added because I thought we were only addressing major bugs.

What kind of fixes are these? Is it just modifying/tweaking some files or is it adding new content? The latter makes a new manifest necessary and has somewhat more impact than the former.

They're just minor things...I modified a model that didn't rest on the grid properly and altered the nobleman def so that they don't spit on the floor. I actually thought I uploaded them already but found I hadn't.

Sounds like harmless stuff, so I'd say go ahead and commit this. Is the model moved by a significant amount? If it's a loot item it might affect the existing FMs (things falling through floor)?

I don't think any maps are using it other than CoP...it's the carved game piece model. I added it recently to the map but noticed it didn't rest properly on the gameboard. In fact, I know no one else is using it because the CM had an error when I first added it to the map.

• 1 month later...

Just a reminder, I noticed the shifting animations [occuring while walking and sitting] were taken out of the release branch, but not the dev branch, they're still there. I just noticed it on the torch carrier too, who drops the torch to the side, holding it with a stiff arm while walking/running.

edit: I'd be happy to remove them from the walk/run list myself.

Just a reminder, I noticed the shifting animations [occuring while walking and sitting] were taken out of the release branch, but not the dev branch, they're still there. I just noticed it on the torch carrier too, who drops the torch to the side, holding it with a stiff arm while walking/running.

edit: I'd be happy to remove them from the walk/run list myself.

I thought I merged back everything from the release branch back into the trunk, but if there is a leftover feel free to go ahead and remove it. Just post about it so that people know what you changed, not everybody is receiving the SVN commit notifications via E-Mail or is reading them.

That's probably because the torch carries have their own def file with their own list of animations (some animations had to be removed from the regular list so they don't burn their face).