The Dark Mod Forums

Can Dark Mod be run on Win 7

Unwanted Guest

Building a new computer.

Was going to go with XP OS as that is what I am use to and happy with it.

But a lot of people are suggesting I go with Vista, which then gives you a free upgrade to Win 7 OS.

I heard either Vista or Win 7 may have problems playing games ( cant remember which OS)

Any input?

I will wait to order til I hear from you guys

Thanks!!

Matt

I got it to run wonderfully on Win 7 beta. So it should work for you.

|=-=------=-=|

happycheeze.deviantart.com

Moddb

Gamers Outreach, a nonprofit that uses videogames to raise money for chairty.

|=-=------=-=|

I'd highly recommend just getting Win 7. XP is great, but now obsolete. The only reason I'll keep it is for the rare exception of a program that refuses to run under any more modern OS (See also: Thief series).

what he said.

I'd say forget about buying XP, it's now 2 generations out of date and only keep it around if you need to run old games.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

• 4 weeks later...

It runs on Vista I know. I think a couple people know about 7 one way or the other...

Don't get your hopes up, it won't even run on 64bit processor OS. You think the deves of D.m. would make sure it worked on 64 bit systems since half the population in the U.S.A has a 64 bit processor and system. :-/

Vista 64 and 32 have the largest integrated market in new PCs nationwide.

Edited by robert256

Don't get your hopes up, it won't even run on 64bit processor OS.

Not sure where you're getting your facts from. It runs fine in Windows 7 64 bit, and I believe we've heard from some 64 bit Linux users who also have no problem. You can try this trick if you're having trouble:

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/9431-tip-for-running-d3-in-windows-7/

Not sure where you're getting your facts from. It runs fine in Windows 7 64 bit, and I believe we've heard from some 64 bit Linux users who also have no problem. You can try this trick if you're having trouble:

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/9431-tip-for-running-d3-in-windows-7/

Were I got my info from, its just common sense to know if you are going to build something for the public to use, to make sure it works on every OS on the market; specially windows. My facts is I have a 64 bit system power house machine fully up to date, and the DM fm mission don't work at all! And I did tons of research on these forums to fix the problem and had no luck.

Edited by robert256
  • Like 1

We did make sure it worked for the few testers who were running 64 bit OS's. Unfortunately we don't have a huge testing department like a commercial company, so we're limited to testing on the configurations available to us. If you post some more detail about your specific problems, maybe we can help.

Well for starters I get no objectives, when I click objectives. It gives me a can't load map/maps/oupost. The dark mod does this for every Fm then returns to the menu, after I click buy equipment.

I even copied the name of the map over to the fm folder from the Doom3 directory(which had the gamex86 in it). This didn't resolve the issue but was worth a shot.

I had no choice to unzip them and put them in there own folder name, in order to have it show up on the in the game menu. Even after I put the pk4 at the end of the folder name or zip file. The DM doesn't detect it this is why I have to unzip them into there own folder. I followed the steps in the FAQ related to my problem, but did nothing for me.

Vista 64 up to date

fresh install of doom 3 game was patched right after instal 1.3.1

training mission works

So what do you think it could be?

Edited by robert256

Sorry robert, but coming here with an attitude like that isn't going to get you very far.

We have tested and re-tested on numerous systems and configurations...both Windows and Linux..32 and 64. Guess what? A beta is still going to have bugs...we stated that quite openly.

I don't know where you get the idea that we were obligated to release on every OS when games released by professional development studios don't even support that very often. Did you follow the release of Bioshock? Are you aware of the number of systems that had installation problems with that game, and it was a multimillion dollar AAA title?

The Mod works fine on Windows and Linux...both 32 and 64 bit. If you're computer is having a problem with it, we're more than happy to help you..and in turn that will help users with similar configurations. I certainly won't sit back and let you talk nonsense about what we should/shouldn't, have or have not done though. I worked as a professional in the computer maintenance and repair industry for over five years, and I can tell you that it doesn't matter how much of a power house your computer is...different hardware will give different results on the same OS. Hardware does make the difference.

In any case, I suppose you'll be asking for a refund? Would you like that as cash or credit? Oh wait, that's right...it was free!

Were I got my info from, its just common sense to know if you are going to build something for the public to use, to make sure it works on every OS on the market; specially windows. My facts is I have a 64 bit system power house machine fully up to date, and the DM fm mission don't work at all! And I did tons of research on these forums to fix the problem and had no luck.

training mission works

So the Mod does work..ok. So you're really just having trouble installing the FM's. Would have been nice to know that...rather than attacking us with a bunch of accusations about our ineptness.

Well, you'll need to undo anything you've done with all the unzipping, put things back the way they were.

Redownload the FM...and if you're using Internet Explorer, make sure it doesn't change the download to a .zip file...if it does, rename it to .pk4. Drop the newly downloaded .pk4 into doom3\darkmod\fms\. As long as you have the original pk4 that you downloaded in the fms folder, TDM will detect it when you start the mission with the tdm launcher.

That's all there is to it.

Unfortunately, we have to sort out how to deal with this nonsense with internet explorer, it's a pain in the ass.

rather than attacking us with a bunch of accusations about our ineptness.

Well I tried that and received no response, so it seems that the only way you people co-respond is with someones attitude. But look it worked!

Bioshocked worked great even a pirated version worked great.

you say: have or have not done though. I worked as a professional in the computer maintenance and repair industry for over five years.

I been in it for 7 and had my own corporation. So I know what your getting at no need to explain. There is no accusations I'm only stated the facts.

You are right about one thing it is free, BUT when companies give free products "they work or they don't release it." Why? because of situations like you are having today. Remember word of the mouth is the most powerful tool in the industry and being a business professional you should know that already. It can easily bring a company down as fast as it starts.

(Redownload the FM...and if you're using Internet Explorer, make sure it doesn't change the download to a .zip file...if it does, rename it to .pk4. Drop the newly downloaded .pk4 into doom3\darkmod\fms\. As long as you have the original pk4 that you downloaded in the fms folder, TDM will detect it when you start the mission with the tdm launcher)

Tried it had no success.

Edited by robert256

You are right about one thing it is free, BUT when companies give free products "they work or they don't release it." Why? because of situations like you are having today. Remember word of the mouth is the most powerful tool in the industry and you should know that. It can easily bring a company down as fast as it starts.

Well Broken Glass Studios is no commercial company of some sort. They are just a bunch of talented thief fans who make us, the other thief fans, really happy by releasing a BETA... And the "industry" knows very well, that a software can't be rated before it has gone gold.

Ah, forgot to mention that I am running it fine on Windows 7 64 Bit professional here.

Edited by STiFU
  • Like 1

(Redownload the FM...and if you're using Internet Explorer, make sure it doesn't change the download to a .zip file...if it does, rename it to .pk4. Drop the newly downloaded .pk4 into doom3\darkmod\fms\. As long as you have the original pk4 that you downloaded in the fms folder, TDM will detect it when you start the mission with the tdm launcher)

Tried it had no success.

If that's the case, it sounds like there is still some sort of leftover from your unzipping interfering somewhere. As you say, the training mission works, and there is nothing different about that map than the others. They're all installed the same way. Something has just gotten messed up along the way.

I don't think being aggressive got you any further than if you had been polite. It has simply been incredibly busy. It's a message forum, posts will sometimes be missed....not by choice, simply by circumstance.

The fact that you had concluded that the mod doesn't run on 64 bit systems just because you couldn't get it to work on yours is telling of your general attitude ("no chance it's my failure, so it must be that those idiots who made the mod were stupid and failed to support 64 bit systems!").

But, to be fair, I know it can really suck when you spend time trying something out only to feel like your time was wasted and you don't get any good results, so understandably you were pretty frustrated about it all. Probably it can be solved though, and it really is worth it because the mod is amazing!

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

("no chance it's my failure, so it must be that those idiots who made the mod were stupid and failed to support 64 bit systems!").

I never called them idiots or stupid, yes you are right I was frustrated, and maybe I should have not said that it didn't work on ALL OS 64 bit systems; if I made it sound that way.

The fact that you had concluded that the mod doesn't run on 64 bit systems just because you couldn't get it to work on yours is telling of your general attitude ("no chance it's my failure, so it must be that those idiots who made the mod were stupid and failed to support 64 bit systems!").

But, to be fair, I know it can really suck when you spend time trying something out only to feel like your time was wasted and you don't get any good results, so understandably you were pretty frustrated about it all. Probably it can be solved though, and it really is worth it because the mod is amazing!

Agreed, I've been there and done that where I was so frustrated that I snapped at everyone around me.

As stated before, I am using Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit Quad-core. I have also tested Darkmod on the same system using Vista 64 Ultimate and XP 32Bit Pro. I have the mode installed downstairs on an AMD64, running Windows XP 32bit Pro. On every system I've had to fiddle with settings to get it running fine, but I can tell you this; not once was it the fault of the devs of this incredible mod (which I've also helped with in a very small way).

The most notable was that even though tdm_update asked for elevated privileges, it still wouldn't copy anything. Not until I ran it as Administrator did it work fine. This was with my most current setup the Win7U 64bit system. The other system installed fine, but have.......strange issues with the config files for Doom3. Annoying but workable.

I really hope you get this sorted out, as you are missing out on a great experience!

Best of luck to you.

BTW, I totally forgot on the AMD64 system I did have to reinstall Doom3 from Steam in order to get it to run properly, before I did that I just got a ton of errors in the console and it eventually just crashed the game when I tried playing any maps. Reinstalling Doom3, while tedious, proved a solution for me.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

If that's the case, it sounds like there is still some sort of leftover from your unzipping interfering somewhere. As you say, the training mission works, and there is nothing different about that map than the others. They're all installed the same way. Something has just gotten messed up along the way.

I don't think being aggressive got you any further than if you had been polite. It has simply been incredibly busy. It's a message forum, posts will sometimes be missed....not by choice, simply by circumstance.

I will just mess around with it, if it comes down to it I will install windows 7 and hope for the best. I do agree it can be frustrating, especially if you are a fan of this type of game and I thank you for your help.

I do apologize for my attitude and I should have not just lashed out like I did. I will try to figure it out, or maybe try windows 7. I'm stumped at this point...

• Like 1