The Dark Mod Forums

Forums upgraded to IPB 3.0.3

modetwo

I've upgraded IPB to the latest stable version, and since this was a major upgrade (from 2.3.6) I also had to re-do the forum style. Most of the new stuff is in place, but I bet that the logo will be changed. One of the many new features in version 3 is rating of posts and also a "report spammer" ability which will make it easier to single out spam bots and ban then at sight. Hopefully this will stop some of the spam threads we've seen recently.

Make sure to empty your browser cache if you're experiencing any problems. And please report any errors etc in this thread.

Cheers,

~m2

~m2

Is there anyway to get the old style back? The new layout/style has such big elements and fonts that it wastes almost all space on my laptop screen, leaving me with a very small slit of actual visible content - meaning I have to scroll for every page :(

(Not to mention that anyone who thinks medium-blue-on-medium-grey is a good choice for a foreground/background color combination for text to be read should be shot.... gah :(

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

After the initial period of adjustment, I have to say I like this. Apart from the colour combinations already mentioned.

@Tels: Maybe you can use a user CSS file to make everything look smaller (or hide it entirely). Probably wouldn't be too hard.

In fact, here's a starting point for you. It pretty much destroys the visual appeal of the forums in the name of ruthlessly squashing everything down, but them's the breaks. It also needs more work; there are plenty of opportunities for more space-saving.

ul.topic_buttons {font-size: 80%;margin:0;padding:0}
ul.topic_buttons img { height: 1em; margin:0; padding:0 }
ul.topic_buttons a {padding: 0.5em}
div.topic_controls .pagination {padding:0}
#header #branding a:first-child img {height: 70px}
#user_navigation, #user_navigation .logged_in {margin:0}
div#header div#branding {height:50px}
#primary_nav{font-size:80%;height:20px}
#primary_nav ul li,
#primary_nav ul li a
{padding:0}
#content{padding-top:0}
.post_controls li a{padding:0;margin:0}
.post_wrap ul{padding-top:0em;padding-bottom:1.5em;margin:0}
div .rep_bar {display:none}
div .author_info .user_controls, .user_fields {font-size:90%}

Your other option is to set font-size:80% on everything, and then override it for post content so you're not squinting to read.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

After the initial period of adjustment, I have to say I like this. Apart from the colour combinations already mentioned.

@Tels: Maybe you can use a user CSS file to make everything look smaller (or hide it entirely). Probably wouldn't be too hard.

Yeah, I *could* do that, but I'd rather have a usable forum without me mucking with it, only getting it destroyed with the next update again... Running custom CSS on the client side to fix a broken webdesign is a mistake in the first place :)

Here is one bug the current forum CSS has:

#content (line 191)

{

padding-top: 20px;

padding-right: 15px;

padding-bottom: 0px;

padding-left: 15px;

clear: both;

}

The .content div has the above style. First, it uses pixels - that is wrong, it should use a spacing depending on the font-size (e.g 0.1em instead of 10 pixel). Second, it places needlessly a 20pixel padding on top of the content diff *sigh* Incompetent webdesigners, I hate you.... They should be forced to use their own creation on an iphone all day....

Anyway, in a few days I will be w/o internet and then no forum for me anyway :)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

It's not "broken". You just don't like it. That's not the same as "broken". :rolleyes:

All decent browsers scale "pixels" these days anyway. And the gap above the content div is not a "bug". It's clearly a deliberate move to create a gap, adding a bit more whitespace to make it look better. You personally may disagree with that decision, but calling it a "bug" is a bit rich.

I'd rather have a usable forum without me mucking with it, only getting it destroyed with the next update again...

Riiiight, because the forum theme changes every week. This is the first time it's changed since I joined the forums, over three years ago. And it would take you literally about 15 minutes to update your custom style each time it broke. 15 minutes in 3 years is hardly an onerous time burden.

But whatever. You'd obviously rather whine about it than do something proactive about it, so I'll leave you to it. :P

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

...fix a broken webdesign ... ...bug ... ... wrong... *sigh* Incompetent webdesigners, I hate you....

Were you having a bad day or what? Don't you think this is slightly insulting in modetwo's face?

You are always entitled to not liking the style, but this is just heavily impolite. The internet ftw.

Tels;

I didn't write the templates nor the CSS, so I'm not the one to blame here.

But you installed them without asking any of the users first.

Please go and wine over at http://community.invisionpower.com instead, they might want to listen for all I know...

I am pretty sure they will just point me back here and tell me to complain to you to fix the stylesheets so that texts are actually readable. Catch-22 and the user is still left out cold...

Edit: If I had more than 30minutes internet and time each evening (and internet after tomorrow) I would fix the most glaring errors in the templates and send them to you. But ATM I do have more important things (in RL) to do than to correct stuff broken by other people...

I am pretty sure they will just point me back here and tell me to complain to you to fix the stylesheets so that texts are actually readable. Catch-22 and the user is still left out cold...

Edit: If I had more than 30minutes internet and time each evening (and internet after tomorrow) I would fix the most glaring errors in the templates and send them to you. But ATM I do have more important things (in RL) to do than to correct stuff broken by other people...

It's his forum, why would he need to ask anyone else if he should do whatever to his own forums?

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

The upgrade was necessary to keep the forums safe and secure from scriptkiddies and other scum as the software was outdated, and it was also a measure to fight spam bots as this version supports a new way of checking and handling such accounts and threads. I guess you weren't around when the 'oh so lame hacking-incident' happened years ago. So, explain this to me... You wouldn't be mad if I had asked in advance? Yeah, right - I think you'd be complaining then too!

...But ATM I do have more important things (in RL) to do than to correct stuff broken by other people...

I'm really glad you have real-life commitments like everyone else, but why do you keep saying the forum's broken? I can't really see anyone else than you complaining about the layout, spacing, 'px vs em' etc - it's nice to be different and not just going with the flow, but maybe you should reconsider in this matter as it seems no-one cares or actually agrees with you? The color scheme is a different story - either you like it, or you don't. Most of the colors in the current scheme are actually picked up from the old design. I've also tweaked the colors more to rule out 'hard to read' text and links.

By the way, no need to act rude. I host these forums for free, and it sure ain't free to me as I have to pay for both the server AND for software updates. I can of course take criticism as I guess you can too, but it should be a bit constructive at least. What you are doing now is just looking like a crybaby who lost his precious toy because the evil 'modetwo' took it and replaced it with a new and more functional one.

FYI; the toy ain't yours alone...

PS: You're welcome to use the Lo-Fi templates at any time.

~m2

Dude. Not cool. Chill out a bit please? In the grand scheme of things, this really isn't such a big deal.

Take a deep breath and have a nice cup of cider :)

|=-=------=-=|

happycheeze.deviantart.com

Moddb

Gamers Outreach, a nonprofit that uses videogames to raise money for chairty.

|=-=------=-=|

@MT

Is it possible to move the "Today's active content" back to the top like the older style?

If not, its cool, I can get used to it.

|=-=------=-=|

happycheeze.deviantart.com

Moddb

Gamers Outreach, a nonprofit that uses videogames to raise money for chairty.

|=-=------=-=|

Not sure if this is a Vista or Mozilla issue. When I come to the forum. I get this link. I have to click on it twice for mozilla, its annoying as hell.

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/index.php?act=idx

Here is the Opera link, its fine. I'm not sure why its doing this!

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/

Even the *Use full editor* button doesn't work now. I cannot even edit in the screwed up link, the forum won't take it.

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/index.php? s=d628231ff2182ba2a56077dc5096&act=idx

If you take away the space after the question mark, that is the full link I get with mozilla firefox. I couldn't post it otherwise.