The Dark Mod Forums

Thank you.

Irenices

I just want to say thank you all for the time and energy you guys put into making this mod actually happen, I've been watching from the start trying not to get too excited as it was years away from completion and to be honest i don't think many projects of this size ever make it to see daylight (not that we're going to be seeing alot of daylight in this mod). I can no longer pretend and lie to myself that this isn't the most exciting thing as far as computers go ever with it so close to release.

Anyways i just wanted to thank the whole team for there time and effort, Can't wait to start playing and perhaps sooner or later creating with the mod!

Edited by Irenices
  • Like 1

:D

You're welcome, and thank you! I would definitely encourage anyone thinking of doing some mission creation to give it a go. DarkRadiant is a lot easier and faster to use than certain other level editors I could mention. :)

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

Seconded - TDM is a remarkable success. Such a massive TC actually making it doesn't happen often, from what I've seen.

The release caught me totally off guard; I knew it was supposed to come out sometime in the next month, but was trying not to hold my breath too much (nerves, you know). Sometime today I visited the site, just as I have done many times previously, and I just sort of stared at it for while. Didn't quite get it at first.

Well yeah, thank you. That's what I was trying to get across :D

The installer/updater program is shuffling bits around ever so stoically as I type.. *glee*

Yeah, great job! I believe the only way to properly reciprocate is to build something enjoyable with the mod, so expect something a few months down the line. Until then, I will be pestering you with questions I am afraid. :)

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Yeah, great job! I believe the only way to properly reciprocate is to build something enjoyable with the mod, so expect something a few months down the line. Until then, I will be pestering you with questions I am afraid. :)

Don't worry, we will answer them :D

PS: Well, I didn't say we will answer them *correctly* :D

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Since there is no official feedback thread yet, I'm posting in this topic. I hope that's okay with OP.

I've now played through most of the training mission. Didn't quite finish the sneaking part yet... Got busted after not quicksaving for a while, mostly because I was too busy being blown away by everything. My intention was to provide some constructive criticism righty away, but it seems this will have to wait, because the annoyances were apparently minor enough to be completely overwhelmed by just how slick this thing is.

Off the top of my head - the lockpicking is fantastic, IMO. It really seems to capture the fiddly, attention-demanding nature of the task while not being too frustrating (lockpicking difficulty currently set to average). I liked how I found myself completely immersed in it, eyes half closed and all. Thumbs up.

I initially feared combat might be awkward, but my doubts were put to rest after a couple of fights. It's hard, but when I got the hang of it, I started really enjoying it. Maybe too much... I actually find it fun enough that I don't even mind getting killed in the arena, which is most of the time. When I managed to string several attacks/blocks/counter-attacks together for the first time, I felt a genuine thrill of accomplishment. I think I'll keep the parrying system on "auto" for now, though :D

Thanks Tirek. The lockpicking is something we're especially satisfied with.

It's very satisfying. I also like how loud ambient sounds make it harder in such a natural, immersive way.

Yeah, the combat system itself was quite an accomplishment i thought too. Thats all Ishtvan's coding work unless im mistaken and Domarius's animations.

Mad props then. If it were any better, people would just want to fight all the time :P

Thanks a million guys. The Dark Mod is woking very fast and glitch free on 64 bit Chakra ( Arch ) linux on my machine with no added libraries whatsoever. I just extracted the installer into /.doom3/darkmod/, right clicked and made executable,clicked open terminal here in Dolphin and ran ./tdm_update.linux. I extracted the mission files into /.doom3/darkmod/fms and they play just fine through the normal Doom3 mod menu. Very, very nice - thanks again :)

Edited by peispud

Hello Dark-Mod Crew!

Being a Thief fan from the very beginning, i followed your project from the start. The demos and videos were so nice that i looked forward to it the whole 5 years. Having played the training map for 4 hours, all i can say is kudos to you all! I can't express how happy and satisfied I am with your work.

When i had finally downloaded the 1.00 version, i thought about how fast the released missions were played through, like a nice cake someone put much work into. But after i turned down the lights, let the fresh cold air in, turned the volume up and walked for the first seconds in the training map, the worries were gone. Every step sets me emotionally back in time of the first Thief demo. The perfect atmospheere, the unsureness of what is awaiting around the corner (even though i knew there was nothing to fear in a training mission), all got me immersed in a mixed feeling of nostalgia and anticipation and made every step a joy.

The map and the game elements itself exceeded my already high expectations. Movement, lockpicking, combat, object manipulation, the (as far as i can tell up'til now) very good AI, ambient music and sound... it seems all flawless and innovativ.

I loved the fact that i already had to practice almost an hour to be able to beat the first 3 combat levels. Especially #2 gave me much trouble, until i gave temporarly up on manual parry and learned to wait for the enemy to start an attack before hitting the parry key.

By the way, is a strike unparryable if the enemy is too close to me?

I am so looking forward to the first missions which i start tomorrow, and might start my own map soon, if the editor really is easier to use than DromED, which got me frustrated.

Again, thank you very much for your work! Hopefully i can contribute to keeping the game alive for many years to come.

Greetings,

Tom

Yes, great feedback post. Cheers. :)

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

By the way, is a strike unparryable if the enemy is too close to me?

As I understand it, the parry works like a literal parry. When you put up your sword it has to literally block the AI's sword coming down or across and that's all there is to it. So I don't think there is any special unparryable situation by itself.

But I did find that a parry might miss if you aren't squarely facing the AI enough but are facing him angled, so that his sword can swing in front of your parry but still hit you -- so it may be more an issue with the angle you're facing the AI than the closeness per se. The closeness may make the angle-prejudice worse though maybe(?). Also timing is important to parrying, and it may be harder to time the parry right as the AI is closer and you have less time to act, so your parry may be late(?). I don't know if this is 100% right, but this was just what I thought I was seeing and might help your practice. :)

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Thanks a million guys. The Dark Mod is woking very fast and glitch free on 64 bit Chakra ( Arch ) linux on my machine with no added libraries whatsoever.

Great news for Linux users. :)

I just extracted the installer into /.doom3/darkmod/, right clicked and made executable,clicked open terminal here in Dolphin and ran ./tdm_update.linux. I extracted the mission files into /.doom3/darkmod/fms and they play just fine through the normal Doom3 mod menu. Very, very nice - thanks again :)

You don't have to extract them into that folder, just copy/move the pk4 into the directory and TDM will do the rest. :)

Just finished the training mission... Brilliant work, guys. It's as good as I hoped it would be, and it can only get better from here. Looking forward to playing through my first mission in TDM soon. :)

I'll be sure to leave more detailed feedback once I've played it a bit more, but for now I'm very happy!

Edited by Inimitable

Great news for Linux users. :)

You don't have to extract them into that folder, just copy/move the pk4 into the directory and TDM will do the rest. :)

Yeah, typo on my part - I should have said move. I can't believe how smooth these missions are playing given the graphics quality. I have my Arch Linux partition on an external usb drive with the settings cranked in Dark Mod and the missions still play as smooth as silk.

Edited by peispud