The Dark Mod Forums

Thank you.

Irenices

Other people have mentioned most of the little problems with this release so far but id like to mention personaly i've had some probems with frobbing objects, most when it comes to thing in chests, i've picked up objects and loot in chests that where closed and locked through the sides and iv had instances where i couldn't for the life of me get an object out of them even when i have it wide open.

Other than that and my personal sound issue i must say again thank you for this amazing mod!

Me too i want to say a BIG THANK YOU!

The Dark Mod is really a revolution in stealth game, ti's more then a simple mod. The quality of this work is INCREDIBLE!

It's the first complex stealth game community driven and crossplatform, and it IMHO the release date will rest in history.

I've played the Chalice of Kings, and i've tasted emotions from the past, when i was playing Thief for the first time. Really really thanks, the future now in limitless!B)

I registered on these forums because all of you did an awesome job and you guys should know it! With it being a beta release I was expecting the mod to feel rather unfinished but this was a much more polished product than I thought. Everything was awesome. Gameplay, models, sounds, menu, art everything. Several people have already mentioned smiling while playing and I actually did the same exact thing. Such a rare reaction while playing video games these days I'm afraid. biggrin.gif

Hi Guys,

Let me be the latest, but not the last, to say thank you and congratulations on this wonderful achievement.

Like others I've followed the progress over the years, almost afraid to believe this day would finally come. Though I'm only part-way through the training mission it's already clear that this mod is all that I wished for and certainly all that was promised.

I especially want to thank the team for sticking to their original goal of cross-platform support.

It would have been too easy to say "gamers use windows, why bother with anything else?". Following the various forum discussions it's clear there have been times when good ideas and nice-to-haves have needed to be put aside for the sake of a realistic deadline.

I am just immensely grateful that the goal portability was never something to be compromised.

Having my favourite gaming genre (first-person sneaker) available on the platform of my choice (GNU/Linux) is more than I could have ever hoped for.

You guys Rock.

I am just immensely grateful that the goal portability was never something to be compromised.

Having my favourite gaming genre (first-person sneaker) available on the platform of my choice (GNU/Linux) is more than I could have ever hoped for.

I subscribe every single word!

Thief, with a modern design and engine, create by a community, on my linux box: it's a dream!!!!:laugh:

You guys Rock.

REALLY REALLY REALLY ROCK! ;)

• Like 1

Other people have mentioned most of the little problems with this release so far but id like to mention personaly i've had some probems with frobbing objects, most when it comes to thing in chests, i've picked up objects and loot in chests that where closed and locked through the sides and iv had instances where i couldn't for the life of me get an object out of them even when i have it wide open.

Other than that and my personal sound issue i must say again thank you for this amazing mod!

Yes, containers is something on my todo list to look at again. I don't think there is anything wrong them intrinsically, ie, in the code. It's probably we mappers just need to rethink precisely how we set them up. For instance, small objects inside large objects can be swamped by the frobability of the chest. Also if a lid is partly blocked by the player as it opens for some reason then technically it is open even if it looks closed and you can frob right through sometimes if you get the angle just right.

Thanks again Irenices for starting this thread. :) We have all invested a lot of hard work but inevitably taken a lot of criticism over the years because everyone has their own view on how things should be. All the team are finding this appreciation a real boost! We didn't really expect this. Thanks to you all.

Thanks for the kind words everyone!

Frobbing things out of containers is a tricky business (for boring technical reasons to do with the frobbing implementation that I won't go in to), and at the moment each container needs to be carefully tweaked and tested by the mapper. Sounds like Fidcal's planning to get on top of putting together some "best practices" (ack! a buzzword!) to alleviate this, so hopefully future FMs should be better about this.

Good old Fidcal. Always reliable. :wub:

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

Another big THANK YOU from me too. 20 minutes ago I casually opened the site of the biggest (and basically, one of the only two serious game magazines in my country) and I saw, I quote: "The Dark Mod за Doom 3 е факт", which translated from Bulgarian says "The Dark Mod for Doom 3 is a fact". I nearly had a heart attack, actually my hands are shaking while I'm typing this. And let me tell you, here in Bulgaria, where Thief doesn't really have a huge fan-base due to extremely poor marketing at its time of release and game-magazine industry is not very developed, the Dark Mod to appear as a head-title in PC Mania's site is not a small thing at all. So now I'm equally happy that there are obviously sworn Thief-fans in the game-mag industry around here, and, of course, that this superb mod actually did make it - all thanks to your hard work and dedication. Thank you for giving us another entry point to the Thief world. I simply can't find the words to wish you all good enough things (and I don't have a Victoria to help me with them), so once again, thank you for the hard work, the dedication, and for the great gift you've given us all, and I hope many a good thing come your way. Cheers!

Wow, with all the thanks and appreciation, it's hard not to want to get to work full steam on the first update. :)

Congratulations to the Team (yes, capital T - you guys rock so much) and big thank you for your dedication and creating this MASTERPIECE!

I'm simply amazed by the great quality of your work.

In my opinion TDM is a GREAT success!

Cheers!

:blush: *fails words*

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Released a day after my 25th birthday, too bad I was too busy partying to notice release!! :(

Only just learned the beta is here! Downloading immediatelly!

It feels like only yesterday St. Lucia was released, how quick and painless that demo has made the last year!

Cant wait to get taffing, if St. Lucia was anything to go by this is going to be immense! It feels like one of those slightly late birthday presents I wasn't expecting, and could only have dreamed of :)

Thank you so much all involved in development, your heroes of the Thief/FM community :D

Edited by Scope
-Scope

I've been lurking for ~two years getting glimpses of progress, but now that it's out I have to join the forum just to say thanks - even if I have no mapping skills and was just waiting for the mod so that I could play it.

This mod is AWESOME and DAMN NEAR PERFECT ALREADY from the player's perspective. I've had an itch for Thief for a long time, and I can only replay TDS so many times (unfortunately, I can't get T1 or T2 to work on my Vista laptop.)

More than the mod itself, however, I've been very impressed with the presentation and installation process. The new website design is simple and functional, easy to get around in, and has good support for showcasing FMs (although I don't know why you still call them FMs, 'cause really there are no OMs, but nevermind that...) The updater and installer worked perfectly for me - even though I have Doom 3 installed through Steam. (I just had to find the right folder to put things in, which wasn't hard.) The actual game, of course, made my head asplode.

A few little things I noticed, if you're looking for random bugs to iron out:

1) While the time-honored tradition of knocking guards out and then dumping them in the river to kill them worked just like it did in the Thief series, the ragdolls didn't make a splashing sound when they hit the water. The visual splash effect appeared, but no sound.

2) I somehow managed to make a chair fall partially through the floor by nudging it. This might have been a mapping problem, and I just grabbed the chair and it pulled itself right back up through the floor, so no worries.

3) I have framerate issues, but this crappy lappy has a 2.2gHz dual-core, so I'm not suprised, and it's still playable. There are no other graphical or aural issues on my HP G60 Notebook PC running 32-bit Vista with a Nvidia GeForce 8200M graphics card.

4) The guard voices are a little too quiet sometimes, and the builders sound like chain smokers. The former causes gameplay issues, the latter is downright funny.

I can't wait for some of the other missions that have screenshots on the main website to come out! I can only replay the training mission so many times! XD

Also, best of luck and greatest of thanks to everyone on the team!

Edited by chumbucket91

I've been lurking for ~two years getting glimpses of progress, but now that it's out I have to join the forum just to say thanks - even if I have no mapping skills and was just waiting for the mod so that I could play it.

This mod is AWESOME and DAMN NEAR PERFECT ALREADY from the player's perspective. I've had an itch for Thief for a long time, and I can only replay TDS so many times (unfortunately, I can't get T1 or T2 to work on my Vista laptop.)

More than the mod itself, however, I've been very impressed with the presentation and installation process. The new website design is simple and functional, easy to get around in, and has good support for showcasing FMs (although I don't know why you still call them FMs, 'cause really there are no OMs, but nevermind that...) The updater and installer worked perfectly for me - even though I have Doom 3 installed through Steam. (I just had to find the right folder to put things in, which wasn't hard.) The actual game, of course, made my head asplode.

Hope your head is better now? :D

A few little things I noticed, if you're looking for random bugs to iron out:

1) While the time-honored tradition of knocking guards out and then dumping them in the river to kill them worked just like it did in the Thief series, the ragdolls didn't make a splashing sound when they hit the water. The visual splash effect appeared, but no sound.

Could you please file a bug report for this?

http://bugs.angua.at/login_page.php

2) I somehow managed to make a chair fall partially through the floor by nudging it. This might have been a mapping problem, and I just grabbed the chair and it pulled itself right back up through the floor, so no worries.

This is either a chair places a tiny bit into the floor (map issue), or one with a mismatched collision model (mod issue). Do you know which chair it was?

I can't wait for some of the other missions that have screenshots on the main website to come out! I can only replay the training mission so many times! XD

Also, best of luck and greatest of thanks to everyone on the team!

Glad you enjoyed it :)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Stunning work guys! After so many years of hard work, it must feel very pleasant to sit back now and relax and just await the fanmissions that will be made with your toolset! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I am very impressed especially with the lightsources work, very funny to throw candles around, and i must admit i was impressed the burning candle went out when i throw the thing in water. Now, though, i cant help but think something has to happen when you leave the candle upside down in a bunch of paper or wood or anything, something like uhh a raging fire to uhh .. draw the guards attention away :rolleyes:

The mood and atmosphere is just perfect Thief, amazing work on the textures and bumpmaps and normals and everything i know very little about but you do notice subconsciously.

Some small things i noticed were that i couldnt seem to drop down an unconscious body after shouldering it, it happened to me twice, with different guards in different spots, and all i could do was reloading a previous point in time (saving and reloading 'with the body on my shoulders' didnt release him). After reloading and stubbornly taking the same guy out, the problem wouldnt appear. There's no "grunt" sound or anything, i tried dropping everywhere... i have a save file from Chalice but it gets too large to upload here.

Again many many thanks and congrats on your skill and perseverance!!

Edited by Martijn