The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: Training Mission (2009/10/17)

Fidcal

Do you remember which driver version have you been using before? Might be interesting for other users experiencing those crashes, and we could mark these "bad" versions on the wiki.

I don't remember exact version, but old Catalyst was something from mid 2008; Also I disabled everything before this crash was fixed.

Few minutes ago I checked what exactly must be disabled, and looks like TDM will work without Catalyst AI, antialiasing and anisotropic filtering.

To disable Catalyst AI - Graphics Settings > 3D > Catalyst AI > Check Disable Catalyst AI

To disable anisotropic filtering - Graphics Settings > 3D > Anisotropic Filtering > Uncheck both Use

applications settings and High Quality AF, set Per-pixel samples to 2x.

To disable antialiasing - Graphics Settings > 3D > AntiAiliasing > Uncheck both Use

applications settings and Temporal anti-aliasing.

PsymX, try to disable all 3 and let me know if it fixes your crash too.

PS. Fragging Free mod - http://www.moddb.com...s/fragging-free had similar crash and it was fixed as well.

Edited by AnotherShadyCharacter

I've made a small crash test. Those of you who had the crash when you went into two of Chalice's rooms and one in the trainer I'd be grateful if you could test this please. Set your graphics card how you had it before when it was crashing. Download http://www.fidcal.com/TEMP/pedestal_test.pk4 Anyone else I wouldn't waste your time getting this. All this is is one bare room with the pedestal model in it.

Download the pk4 into your current game folder, eg, doom3/chalice if that is the FM you have installed.

Run Dark Mod

Press Ctrl + Alt + (key above Tab and left of 1) to get the console.

Type map then TAB and it should show what maps are available.

Type space p TAB then it will select the map or just type in manually map pedestal_test then Enter

Once in game just turn round to look at the pedestal and let me know if it crashes.

I'll tell ;) AFAIK, PsymX uses Catalyst 9.7, I'm using 9.9; We have different credit ... erm graphics cards. And I find crashing combination only after two reboots.

I think problematic object is found, but Catalyst 9.7 is less stable than Catalyst 9.9. Also I think I will be able to find crashing combination for both maps - but it will require a lot of reboots because my catalyst seems to apply new settings ony after reboot - at least doom3 crashed only after reboot.

PsymX, try to upgrade Catalyst and disable 3 settings I mentioned in my previous post. If it will fix your crash, this can be added to the FAQ and there will be no need to fix model.

I think I use either 9.9 or 9.10

i notice the crash when the screen suddenly freezes and my mouse is out, then I have to ctrl+alt+dlt to get back out to the desktop, and see "doom 3 has stopped running"

I got the crash on pedestal test and training in manipulation room, whenever i look inside the room further inside

Having trouble with lockpicking and long jumping. I tried to reach the awning over the window by running and jumping about a thousand times. Haven't made it yet. I'm not complaining--I like that TDM isn't dumbed down. Lighting all the candles in the room was a blast. I like that the training mission has little surprises and things to be found. Still haven't gotten the point of lockpicking. I opened the first door by accident and haven't been able to do it again. The music - is - AWESOME. Not too obtrusive as to be noticeable which is what you usually hear with homemade game music. This sounds completely professional and would not be out of place in the original games.

Having trouble with lockpicking and long jumping.

You should do these separately, it's easier. ;) Sorry - couldn't resist!

Long jump: The jump to the awning is too wide to jump directly onto it (leastways I never did it.) It needs you to jump across, drop in front of the awning and grab it and pull yourself up in a Prince of Persia mantle action. Make sure you are looking ahead as you drop down in front of the awning, so you are looking at its edge. This is often important to good mantling. At the same time you should still be holding down the jump key continuously until you feel the mantle take effect. The only other problem is jumping too early. In Thief you could look down at the edge you are running towards. In Dark Mod I think you can do this but I think you need to be looking ahead as you jump. I struggled with this jump too but after practicing I finally got reasonably good at it.

Lock Picking: Remember you can set auto in the menu settings so then you can just hold down the use key until it has cycled through (3 times I think.) But if you want to master it manually, first set the menu settings on trainer. This give you a longer 'silence' at the end of each click cycle. You can regard that silence as a 'sweet sound' to aim for but there is scarcely time to react so you need to anticipate it. To begin with, let the clicks cycle through several times and just listen to the click pattern repeat (or watch the handle progression pattern.) When you begin to detect a pattern repeating, anticipate the end and release the use key (or hit attack) right at the start of the silence. It needs practice so stick with the easy ones first in the trainer.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

A piece of advice to improve the mission: put wood or grass all around the archery targets.

I like seeing how bad I am going near the targets and taking the arrows from all over the place, but the most far target has stones behind, so the arrows won't get stuck. I think it helps training see exactly where the arrow arrived.

Oh, of course a +1 to baalak. :D

IIRC the arrow can't even reach the farthest target, so you should see the arrow sticking out of the dirt a little ahead of the target. It was meant to be a lesson about how far the arrows go, what your max radius is. But you may have shot it in a different way, so this may not apply.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.