The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: Chalice of Kings by Fidcal (2009/10/17)

Fidcal

A thief adventurer called Mudgeon thwarted my raid on King Aldreth's Crypt. He sold the plunder and established himself in the Bellworth district. He kept Aldreth's crown and The Chalice of Kings.. Mudgeon has had time to relax his guard. I intend to take advantage...

Please post all feedback and questions in this thread.

• Like 1

I enjoyed Chalice quite a bit!

Two questions:

Is the false brick supposed to hide anything, or are we to assume someone else got there first? The room owner did suspect someone of stealing his things. Also, is there a way to open that armory room?

Neither prevented finishing the mission, but I'm still wondering.

Peispud (spoiler) :

Look up, down all around

Edited by Yigg

Thanks peispud. As Yigg suggested. But if you already have done that then someone else reported another problem and I could never duplicate it. My best guess is

you somehow blocked the chain/dome as it was rising and/or double frobbed the button? This would make it unfrobbable again. If you have no gamesave I can only suggest you try this: Go and get some moveable object from somewhere, like the brick, or a goblet or bowl and block it under the dome. Now go back to the button and frob it and see if the dome jams. Now try the Chalice.

Thanks Yigg: Another bug we found at the last minute and no easy fix.

Yes, there is some loot behind there but it can get pushed back into the wall by the brick! I don't think you can get it now. The only way is next time don't get so close when you first grab the brick and pull it out and away and it should be OK.

BTW please use spoilers. I know they are not very obvious in these forums. Select your text. Click 'Other Styles' and you will see the spoiler feature. :)

Nice mission, a bit confusing at first (only way to get in I found was to mantle over the metal door, then a lot of locked doors) but really lovely once the thiefy vibe it kicks in.

I have a question:

I can't find the mask, I suspect it to be in the safe but I can't find the key to the safe. I can't find the key to the armory either, any hints ?

Thanks for the great map Fidcal.

Edited by Briareos H

Nice mission, a bit confusing at first (only way to get in I found was to mantle over the metal door, then a lot of locked doors) but really lovely once the thiefy vibe it kicks in.

I have a question:

I can't find the mask, I suspect it to be in the safe but I can't find the key to the safe. I can't find the key to the armory either, any hints ?

Thanks BH. That's a legitimate way in but

search around and you can open the gate. I also suspect you have missed something else. Anyways, there is a vague clue to the mask in a message in a footlocker. There is a clue to the whereabouts of the safe key in a book but you got to find the book first. And to get the book you need another key... :) Keep exploring and remember pickpocketing.

• Like 1

I have a question:

Hint

Look around the fireplace near the crown

By the way, has anyone managed to ghost the mission?, i can't take the crown without alerting the other guards and placing the fake doesn't seem to do much good

• Like 1

You have to place it roughly where the original was. Doesn't have to be precise. Not easy. That's why it is optional. But it is possible as I've done it many times. In fact it gets easy with practice. But then, I've had months of practice with moving and placing dark mod objects. ;)

[EDIT] perhaps I should add that

some of the guards can't see it properly anyway and others are not always there. So you need to time it when they aren't there.

Hint

Look around the fireplace near the crown

By the way, has anyone managed to ghost the mission?, i can't take the crown without alerting the other guards and placing the fake doesn't seem to do much good

Not sure if this counts as "bug" or "alternate solution:"

You can stand on the dome over the chalice, jump up and frob the mechanism (by clicking wildly). Something about the dome causes you to "stick" just above it, and you can launch off with a higher jump than you normally would get. Doing it this way makes it easy to replicate the "can't frob chalice" bug, though, so I guess that's like a punishment. I assume making the wooden beam a little higher would fix this.

(EDIT: Nevermind; could not reproduce) Also, every time I shouldered the body underneath the elevator, I was unable to drop it, leaving me stuck down in the pit.

Really liked the key placement in this mission. I haven't tried ghosting, but it would be a real challenge with all the backtracking--great way to get the most out of a small mission.

Edited by Wormrat

I never tried that. I just climbed or roped up. Can you not frob the button again a few times to clear it? If the dome is not blocked it must make the chalice frobable when it opens or closes. If the dome works at all it sends a signal to make the Chalice frobable/unfrobable. I can imagine it getting reversed so you can frob it when it is closed but not open but I can't understand how it can be permanently unfrobable.

I can't duplicate the other problem. I can shoulder the body and throw him around at will. Standing or crouching I can throw him anywhere. Have you put anything else down there like crates so there is no room?

I can imagine it getting reversed so you can frob it when it is closed but not open but I can't understand how it can be permanently unfrobable.

Yes, I should have been more clear. The dome raised, but I could not frob the chalice. After a few more jumps and clicks, I managed to reset it. I didn't try lowering the dome and then frobbing, but it sounds like that would have worked. But the problem was not permanent; no.

About the pit: I'm sorry; I meant to edit that out. My first time through the mission, it would not let me drop the body in the pit. I quicksaved just before the pit and reloaded several times, and each time attempted to drop him all over the place (didn't try jumping and letting go, though). However, I couldn't reproduce this on another playthrough, so please ignore.

I went through again and ghosted it. Very fun with the replacement crown (of course I had to test to see if they'd react without it), and the silent mantling makes you feel like a ninja when you're up on a bed or in the rafters.

Edited by Wormrat
  • Like 1

Hi everyone as im new to the darkmod forums but am an active member or the doom3 community.

First of all well done and very impressive.

yet I've had a diffucult spot I've run into.

on the third floor room with the chalice and dome the safe on the wall

contains items, like a key,loot and such, however they are not retrevable and

I cannot pick them up. I shot an arrow in at the cup to knock it out of the safe and was still

not able to pick it up. (nice cubemapping by the way)

is it supposed to be that way?

I'm thinking not but if I need the key in the safe to progress I can't take it.

so I guess I'm stuck.

Thanks.

JV

I see my error. I did the same on the safe in the trainer but I fixed that but missed this. What happens is when the safe is opened it makes the items frobable and it should also be set up to make them unfrobable when closed but I missed that out. So, what has happened here is that you have opened the safe but probably you were close and the door was blocked by your body and stopped. The items are now frobable but you can't see them yet and anyway the door would get in the way of frobbing. You step back a little and frob again and it closes. But the items are still frobable but blocked by the door and anyway you don't know. So you open the door again. This toggles the frob off so you can't frob them.

A workaround is this: I just tried it and managed to do it but it is a bit hit and miss so try a few times:

Close the door and move in close and open it and deliberately block the door again. Close it again. Now step back and open it again. If still no luck try this: With the door open, close it but block it from closing. Then open it again. Keep checking the contents to see if you can now frob them. I got it eventually. The contents are not mission-vital

but the key is for the armoury.

BTW remember spoilers. :) These are not obvious but look under Other Styles.

I went through again and ghosted it. Very fun with the replacement crown (of course I had to test to see if they'd react without it), and the silent mantling makes you feel like a ninja when you're up on a bed or in the rafters.

Indeed, I ghosted it nearly completely too. There is just that scene at the beginning,

where that guard is standing in front of the kitchen door all the time, covering a fully lit hallway. I don't know how to get past him, without using a noisearrow or a flashball at least. And I didn't want to stack up a pile of crates and try to carry them in front of me in ordner to get some shadows going... ;) How'd you do it?

Aside from this minor issue, I enjoyed this mission very much, especially on my second way through.

I see my error. I did the same on the safe in the trainer but I fixed that but missed this. What happens is when the safe is opened it makes the items frobable and it should also be set up to make them unfrobable when closed but I missed that out. So, what has happened here is that you have opened the safe but probably you were close and the door was blocked by your body and stopped. The items are now frobable but you can't see them yet and anyway the door would get in the way of frobbing. You step back a little and frob again and it closes. But the items are still frobable but blocked by the door and anyway you don't know. So you open the door again. This toggles the frob off so you can't frob them.

A workaround is this: I just tried it and managed to do it but it is a bit hit and miss so try a few times:

Close the door and move in close and open it and deliberately block the door again. Close it again. Now step back and open it again. If still no luck try this: With the door open, close it but block it from closing. Then open it again. Keep checking the contents to see if you can now frob them. I got it eventually. The contents are not mission-vital

but the key is for the armoury.

BTW remember spoilers. smile.gif These are not obvious but look under Other Styles.

Thanks FIDCAL bud, at least I know it's not something on my end. That helps me.

Ah never mind. I had the key and we are talking about the same guard, but I just didn't know how to get past him, until I just recently realized that he looks (hardly noticable) to the side sometimes. I'm actually no ghoster, so I'm not used to check for details like that... :)

You actually can reach the key from the other side of the clock, so you don't need to go into his line of site at all.

It was a tricky spot though.

A question out of curiosity: Why does my framerate take such a hit in the scene below.

This is with AA ON, AA OFF adds ~ 4 fps

8gmk5v6l.png

At first I thought that it was caused by the shadows of the lamps, but with them off it is

only slightly better:

brcussfr.png

In a similar scene my framerate is alright:

wljy7hrm.png

And a question on the map:

How do I get into weapon storage ? Where is the key ?

Edited by Chiron

Sorry, can't help with framerate problem.

The key to the weapons room is in the safe in the Chalice room. See next spoiler if you want the key to the safe.

The key to the safe is in the library desk

And where is the

key to the library ? (Assuming that the library is the double door entrance near the elevator)