The Dark Mod Forums

Installing the Dark Mod

Soup

I searched before posting, but most of the results were either about the Doom patch or the level editor, so apologies if this has already been asked.

"tdm_update.exe" won't work for me. I've been running it as admin, even put it in compatibility mode for Vista (I'm using W7) but it won't work. A DOS-type window pops up, writing flashes and then the window closes. It goes to quickly to read much, but I think I saw "can't find" in there...

I'll use the torrent for now, but any help would be lovely. Thanks all!

Torrent is probably the way to go, at least for now. :)

If you're still interested in solving the tdm_update problem, try:

1. Run Command Prompt. On Windows XP you could do that with Start->Run->cmd, though I'm not sure how to do it on Win7.

2. Type:

C:
cd \Games\Doom3
tdm_update

Where "C:\Games\Doom3" is the path you installed Doom 3 to.

That should give you time to read the error message. Post it here if you're not sure what it means.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

Torrent is probably the way to go, at least for now. :)

If you're still interested in solving the tdm_update problem, try:

1. Run Command Prompt. On Windows XP you could do that with Start->Run->cmd, though I'm not sure how to do it on Win7.

2. Type:

C:
cd \Games\Doom3
tdm_update

Where "C:\Games\Doom3" is the path you installed Doom 3 to.

That should give you time to read the error message. Post it here if you're not sure what it means.

How would I type that out? Would it all be on one line, or what? Also, the folder location is "C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\doom 3", and I can never remember how to do spaces in command prompt...

I managed to read it again, and it said "Unable to locate URL" at the beginning.

EDIT: thanks for your help, by the way. ^_^

Edited by Soup

Sorry, no, that's three lines. Hit Enter between each line. (Each line is a separate command.)

To use paths with spaces, surround them with quotation marks, like you did in your post. :)

C:

cd "C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\doom 3"

tdm_update

For some reason the stupid forum is putting a space before "doom 3" that isn't supposed to be there. Don't type that space when you're actually doing it.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

Sorry, no, that's three lines. Hit Enter between each line. (Each line is a separate command.)

To use paths with spaces, surround them with quotation marks, like you did in your post. :)

C:

cd "C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\doom 3"

tdm_update

For some reason the stupid forum is putting a space before "doom 3" that isn't supposed to be there. Don't type that space when you're actually doing it.

Ah, no luck, I'm afraid. It just brought up another cmd window which closed almost instantly as before...

*facepalm*

I'm sure that worked when I tried it on XP... oh well. The window is supposed to stay open by itself anyway, by the way. Maybe a Windows 7 compatibility problem? *shrug*

I guess you'll just to have to stick with the torrent for now. Sorry I can't be of more help.

*facepalm*

I'm sure that worked when I tried it on XP... oh well. The window is supposed to stay open by itself anyway, by the way. Maybe a Windows 7 compatibility problem? *shrug*

I guess you'll just to have to stick with the torrent for now. Sorry I can't be of more help.

You tried your best!

Thanks anyway. :D

We had an error in final testing where the updater crashed and we couldn't read the output, on Vista, and running it directly from the command prompt as Crispy mentioned worked. We got the error, tdm_update crashed, but cmd remained open and we were able to solve the issue. I don't see why it wouldn't work in Win7. Maybe you need to run it as tdm_update.exe, not as tdm_update?

Hmm, it works on Vista, but now Windows 7?

Saint Lucia ran perfectly on my at-the-time, Windows 7 desktop and laptop.

Very odd. Prehaps it is the cmd window.

|=-=------=-=|

happycheeze.deviantart.com

Moddb

Gamers Outreach, a nonprofit that uses videogames to raise money for chairty.

|=-=------=-=|

It was UAC. I turned it off and tdm_update opened in the cmd window this time.

Here's what it said:

Can't locate URI.pm in @INC (@INC contains: lib devel/lib CODE(0x2d811ac) C:\Use
rs\***\AppData\Local\Temp\par-***\cache-0ada4d21d85d3d319202d7e8f1fe7ea825cdcb
f7\inc\lib C:\Users\***\AppData\Local\Temp\par-***\cache-0ada4d21d85d3d319202d
7e8f1fe7ea825cdcbf7\inc CODE(0x2e0ce5c) CODE(0x2e0d1ac)) at (eval 23) line 3.
Compilation failed in require at HTTP/Request.pm line 3.
Compilation failed in require at LWP/UserAgent.pm line 10.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at LWP/UserAgent.pm line 10.
Compilation failed in require at script/tdm_update.pl line 8.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at script/tdm_update.pl line 8.

I put *** instead of the username, obviously. :P

Edited by Soup

It was UAC. I turned it off and tdm_update opened in the cmd window this time.

Here's what it said:

Can't locate URI.pm in @INC (@INC contains: lib devel/lib CODE(0x2d811ac) C:\Use
rs\***\AppData\Local\Temp\par-***\cache-0ada4d21d85d3d319202d7e8f1fe7ea825cdcb
f7\inc\lib C:\Users\***\AppData\Local\Temp\par-***\cache-0ada4d21d85d3d319202d
7e8f1fe7ea825cdcbf7\inc CODE(0x2e0ce5c) CODE(0x2e0d1ac)) at (eval 23) line 3.

I put *** instead of the username, obviously. :P

This smells like the temp. folder issue some people where having. Could you clean out the directory "C:\Use

rs\***\AppData\Local\Temp\par-***" (with the right username, of course :) and try again?

Guess we need a sep. FAQ with tdm_updater windows issues on the wiki... :(

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Can't locate URI.pm in @INC (@INC contains: lib devel/lib CODE(0x14d1594) C:\DOC

UME~1\[NAME]\LOCALS~1\Temp\par-[NAME]\cache-0ada4d21d85d3d319202d7e8f1fe7ea825

cdcbf7\inc\lib C:\DOCUME~1\[NAME]\LOCALS~1\Temp\par-[NAME]\cache-0ada4d21d85d3

d319202d7e8f1fe7ea825cdcbf7\inc CODE(0xdf9bbc) CODE(0xdf9f0c)) at (eval 23) line

I had the same problem on Windows XP. Cleared out the temporary documents, re-ran tdm_update and it froze. After about 5 minutes, it started again.

TDM Updater v0.41 © 2009 by tels & greebo. Part of The Dark Mod (http://www.th

edarkmod.com).

DOOM3.exe found, checking existence of darkmod folder...not found

Creating darkmod folder.

Changed working directory to darkmod/, continuing update process.

100% [==============================================================]D 0h00m00s

Analysing mirrors:

done, found 6 servers.

Fetching checksums from server...

Warning: Could not download crc_info.txt from http://www.keepofmetalandgold.com

/files/tdm/, trying different server.

done.

Comparing checksums:

done, need to download 0 files.

Applied 0 maintenance steps.

Downloaded 597 bytes.

All done, your TDM installation is up-to-date. Enjoy! :)

Press ENTER to end the program.

So the fix for the tdm_update problem is to clear out your C:\Documents and Settings\[NAME]\Local Settings\Temp\par-[NAME] or equivalent folder and then run the program.

Ha! So what if I am, huh? Anyways, I work better when I'm drunk. It makes me fearless! If I see a bad guy, I'll just point my sword at him. And saaaaaay "HEY! Bad guy! You're not s'pposed to be here! Go home or I'll stick you with my sword...'til you go...'Ouch I'm dead!' Ahahahah (hic) See? Ain't no one gonna be messin with old Benny."

I had the same problem on Windows XP. Cleared out the temporary documents, re-ran tdm_update and it froze. After about 5 minutes, it started again.

So the fix for the tdm_update problem is to clear out your C:\Documents and Settings\[NAME]\Local Settings\Temp\par-[NAME] or equivalent folder and then run the program.

I still wonder why one has to do this, esp. only on some systems and not on others?

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

Hi,

I downloaded the stuff for 4 or 5 hours, I thought I'm downloading hard files or an installer of sort, so I put the updater to a folder (no D3 installation) and run it. The process is complete, but no files anywhere.

:(

Why no simple installer or .zip?

Edited by Psychomorph

Hi,

I downloaded the stuff for 4 or 5 hours, I thought I'm downloading hard files or an installer of sort, so I put the updater to a folder (no D3 installation) and run it. The process is complete, but no files anywhere.

Despite the fact it tells you to put it in your Doom 3 folder, and that it downloads them to a darkmod/ subfolder?

Ha! So what if I am, huh? Anyways, I work better when I'm drunk. It makes me fearless! If I see a bad guy, I'll just point my sword at him. And saaaaaay "HEY! Bad guy! You're not s'pposed to be here! Go home or I'll stick you with my sword...'til you go...'Ouch I'm dead!' Ahahahah (hic) See? Ain't no one gonna be messin with old Benny."

Hi,

Sorry to hear that, have you looked if there is a darkmod folder with the files inside that? What did the updater say?

Because we don't have the space or bandwidth to distribute a 1.5Gbyte file, and because we didn't have the time to upload 1.5Gbyte for two days.

However, we have a torrent and in the very near future we will also have a ZIP file for you to download. Please be patient.

I'm having problems getting the training mission started. First off, I have had DarkMod assets installed for at least a year for beta mapping and I'm not sure if that complicates anything. Anyway, I ran the tdm_updater.exe yesterday. This morning, I followed the wiki for starting an FM. I moved the training mission .pk4 file to the .../doom3/darkmod/fms/ directory. I ran the tdmlauncher.exe in the .../doom3/darkmod/ directory. It moved the .pk4 to a subdirectory like the wiki said it would. However, then I get the splash screen, but then the only options I have are to start a new mission (not select from available fm's like the wiki describes). If I choose Start Mission, I get no sort of feedback, so I waited for a half hour before declaring that nothing was actually loading.

I've also tried loading the Mod from Doom 3, but I get the same result.

I've also tried launching the mission the same way I did Thief's Den - with a shortcut string of "C:\games\doom3\Doom3.exe +set fs_game training_mission", but I get the same result still.

It seems that most people who downloaded the Mod yesterday did not have any issues getting this mission started, so can anyone think of a reason why I can't get it loaded?

I'm running XP service pack 3 and have run both Thief's Den and St. Lucia without any issues. I've also run my own map in development many times. I get the feeling some files are in the wrong directory.

Also, I downloaded Crown of Pentinance and went through the entire archive looking for the .pk4 file that the wiki says every mission has. I could not find it. Is that wiki article still accurate?

Thanks for any help,

-DS:12

--- Author of:

Tomb of Horrors (coming January 2011)

Started a new Wiki article:

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Tdm_update

Will list the issues and their solutions later.

I'm having problems getting the training mission started. First off, I have had DarkMod assets installed for at least a year for beta mapping and I'm not sure if that complicates anything. Anyway, I ran the tdm_updater.exe yesterday.

Did you remove your darkmod folder prior to running tdm_update? If not, you got now everything twice, once inside the PK4s, once inside subdirectories and things are likely to conflict.

Try the following:

* delete everything in your darkmod folder except the PK4 files directly in darkmod. E.g. delete every other file and all subdirectories. (Make a backup of your maps directory etc if you have important things there. Better move the directories somewhere safe). Then run tdm_updater again, it will verify the PK4s and download any missing stuff.

* Remove all the FM directories in Doom3 (e.g. training_mission etc) and then re-install the mission via the menu

That should work.

Also, I downloaded Crown of Pentinance and went through the entire archive looking for the .pk4 file that the wiki says every mission has. I could not find it. Is that wiki article still accurate?

Thanks for any help,

If you downloaded a PK4 file, there should be no another PK4 file inside. From where did you download it?

Thanks, I'll give that a shot later. The Crown of Pentinance mission I got as a .zip file from a TTLG link. I browsed the .zip file for the .pk4, but did not find it. I'll try downloading from another source.

Did you remove your darkmod folder prior to running tdm_update? If not, you got now everything twice, once inside the PK4s, once inside subdirectories and things are likely to conflict.

Try the following:

* delete everything in your darkmod folder except the PK4 files directly in darkmod. E.g. delete every other file and all subdirectories. (Make a backup of your maps directory etc if you have important things there. Better move the directories somewhere safe). Then run tdm_updater again, it will verify the PK4s and download any missing stuff.

* Remove all the FM directories in Doom3 (e.g. training_mission etc) and then re-install the mission via the menu

That should work.

If you downloaded a PK4 file, there should be no another PK4 file inside. From where did you download it?

--- Author of:

Are you using IE, by chance? It sometimes renames extensions from .pk4 to .zip.

Tels, thanks - deleting all files and directories other than the main .pk4's worked.

Springheel, yes that is exactly what was happening. I renamed them back to .pk4 and all is well. It's a good thing we have Microsoft to tell us what we really meant to download. I usually use Firefox, but I've had issues in the past with downloading files, so when I do download things, I switch to IE. How ironic!

--- Author of:

I guess we can extend our FM code to consider ZIP files in the FM folder as well. When investigating the ZIP it will be clear for the mod code that this is a FM package and it can automatically be renamed to PK4 while moving it to the fms subfolder.

I guess we can extend our FM code to consider ZIP files in the FM folder as well. When investigating the ZIP it will be clear for the mod code that this is a FM package and it can automatically be renamed to PK4 while moving it to the fms subfolder.

Rather than modifying your FM code, why not just modify the headers of the webpages that host the FMs? This will only need to be done once, as each new FM page would be created automatically according to the original template.

What IE8 is doing is MIME-sniffing, and it determines that the pk4 is indeed a zip file so it automatically renames it with the zip extension. To prevent IE8 from doing this, in the html header add the line:

X-Content-Type-Options: nosniff