The Dark Mod Forums

Sound issues

Irenices

The mod is amazeing so far but i have 1 big issue.

While playing the chalice of kings i cannot tell if a guard is behind me, around the corner or on the level below me, it all sounds the same with the exception of very long distances and through doors. I'm not sure if this is a bug just effecting me or if the levels sound portals are messed up, or if its just something not completed with the mod yet.

There could be two things here.

1. The sound-portaling isn't as perfect as Thief's Dark Engine; sounds get directed through visPortals instead of around brushes. There's no way to really fix that since that's just how the engine does sound (at least until it goes open source). But it does the job good enough and shouldn't be that bad.

2. A bigger potential problem:

Does the EAX also sound very "wet" ... I mean like everything sounds right next to you and too much reverb like it's in a small wet room like a bathroom or cave -- especially dirt and marble are too much, wood is also sort of bad, and a tell-tale sign, does crouching footsteps sound louder than normal walking footsteps?

If so, this is a problem I've had that not everybody has, because when I brought it up, other people didn't hear what I did (e.g., for most people crouching sounds softer), and when I made a YouTube video of my FM they also noted how strange it sounds that a distant AI would sound so close, and that they don't have the same problem (

). I also wonder if it comes and goes because sometimes I seem to notice it and other times everything seems to sound fine.

Since other people didn't have the same problem as me, I was never quite sure what was at the root of the problem (a Vista thing? my imagination?), or even what the problem exactly was. Maybe this thread will put some attention on it. Since most people don't have the problem, it's not really a mod specific problem or a bug, but still something to look into.

Edit: BTW, what's your vitals?

I have a AMD Athlon 2650e 1.60 GHz, 2GB ram, running Vista sp1, and the sound device is Realtek HD Audio.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

I don't play with eax on as i get that exact wet sound your talking about with pretty much anything, and that video you posted is very similar to what im having where a AI down a hallway downs like he's pressed up against my ear talking.

edit- Incase i wasnt clear there, my sound quality is totaly normal and the sound effects are great, its just the positioning of it.

win xp pro, amd athlon 64 6400+ dual core 3.2ghz, 2 gigs of ram, 1800xt gpu, and a old audigy 2 for sound.

Edited by Irenices

I don't play with eax on as i get that exact wet sound your talking about with pretty much anything, and that video you posted is very similar to what im having where a AI down a hallway downs like he's pressed up against my ear talking.

edit- Incase i wasnt clear there, my sound quality is totaly normal and the sound effects are great, its just the positioning of it.

win xp pro, amd athlon 64 6400+ dual core 3.2ghz, 2 gigs of ram, 1800xt gpu, and a old audigy 2 for sound.

Ah, goog to know we have someone else having the same problem, so we have a chance to clear it up. Sorry tho that it affects you.

One question, when you disable EAX, does it still sound wrong, but not "wet"?

Maybe you could make two videos demonstrating how both settings EAX on and off sound?

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

I messed around with eax today and when i turn it on in tdm (i hadnt because it normaly sounds all fucked up)it didnt change anything, sounded just like it did when it was off, yes i restarted after turning it on.

After playing the game some more it feels like its mostly sounds bleeding through floors for me, any time someone is on a floor above or below me it sounds like there in the same room as me, if its a large room below or above it persists through more than one room.

An example is the sleeping builder guard in "The Outpost", when i went into the priests room (or half the other rooms upstairs)that was above him it sounded like someone was asleep in that room too and it took me a minute to figure out it was coming from the floor below.

In theory, if the rooms are closed off (portalised) from each other, which one suspects they normally are, then Doom 3 shouldn't be propagating sounds straight up/down through the floor/ceiling. Can't be sure, though, since the relevant part of the engine is closed-source. That also means we probably can't do much about it, unfortunately.

Yet another thing to put on the list of "glitches to investigate when Doom 3 is released as open source", perhaps!

Can anyone else confirm this bug so that we can eliminate the possibility that it's hardware-dependent?

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.