The Dark Mod Forums

Can't play. msvcrt runtime error upon startup

Ratty

Sorry about starting a whole new topic on this but I don't see a general error reporting thread.

Anyway, installed darkmod just fine. Doom3 is the latest version 1.3. (I clicked updates and it said I was already up to date). Running Windows XP, NVidia GeForce 7900 GTX. Doom3 works for me but when I launch the Darkmod, I see the logo for a couple of seconds then an error window pops up:

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library

This program has requested the Runtime to terminate in an unusual way.

Anyone had this problem yet? Any ideas? I soooo want to play TDM it hurts. Especially looking forward to Fidcal's mission.

Anyway, installed darkmod just fine. Doom3 is the latest version 1.3

1.3 or 1.3.1? The latter is needed for play.

Now I have a codec problem. This has nothing to do with TDM, i.e. not its fault. I'd been having sound problems in other games and I just think my codecs are all messed up. In Oblivion the music is all garbled for example. In Doom 3 I have no sound at all. I have an app called InstalledCodecs that lets me easily enable and disable codecs that has helped me in the past but I can't seem to find the right combo for Doom 3 to work. There is an app called reset codecs that somebody made for the Oblivion community that reset all codec registry entries back to a clean windows install, but it's from 2006 and doesn't support XP Service Pack 3.

I know codec problems are notoriously difficult to solve but does anybody have any suggestions I might pursue? I would do a clean Windows reinstall if I had the disks (don't ask me to install Vista). I know you all have your hands full with true TDM problems but any bone anybody could throw my way would be much appreciated.

TDM just uses .wav and .ogg codecs.

Thanks NH. That was very helpful. I discovered I couldn't play ANY .wav files in any program. Installing the latest DirectX and Sound card drivers solved the problem. Still a few hours to go until it gets dark around here. I can't wait to play!!!!