The Dark Mod Forums

Trouble with TDM

Thiefnsince98

Thanks so much for this I waited years and its better than I thought it would be.

After i d/l it i played it and it worked fine but the next day i went to play it and when i load the game chalice of kings the screen turns blue for a second with a bunch of words and numbers and the screen goes black and sometimes restarts the system doom 3 plays fine

1.8 ghz ram 1024 mb

32 bit

win xp

Go to www.rejlive.com to make a little extra cash every month

single core

it ran fine at 640*480 rez

and now i got to run once but now the load screen loads the mod fine but when the game loads the map it waits till its almost done loading and then goes first blue then black and sometimes restarts the pc

I've never seen TDM reboot a computer, but I have seen overheating computer components cause a reboot. If you can, check the temps before you start (eg, with Speedfan), then when you start loading the map Alt-Tab out to watch the temps up till the crash occurs. 

If the temps are fine, reinstall your graphics card drivers and/or DirectX. BTW, what card do you have?

Geforce 6100 ive got the latest drivers for it

ive had this pc since 2005 so its about time to replace it

oh well it was a good pc to last almost 5 years

all i ever did was upgrade the ram to a gig

i bought this pc from walmart for 300 dollars

yet it ran thiefs den, saint lucia, and tdm 1.0 training, chalice of kings

and now it wont run tdm fms

i re installed doom 3 and applied the 1.3.1 1304 patch and it loaded up once but never again

I've never seen TDM reboot a computer, but I have seen overheating computer components cause a reboot. If you can, check the temps before you start (eg, with Speedfan), then when you start loading the map Alt-Tab out to watch the temps up till the crash occurs.

If the temps are fine, reinstall your graphics card drivers and/or DirectX. BTW, what card do you have?

it wont let tab out and i dont know how to check the temperature

Geforce 6100 ive got the latest drivers for it

ive had this pc since 2005 so its about time to replace it

oh well it was a good pc to last almost 5 years

all i ever did was upgrade the ram to a gig

The 6100 is onboard, and not a great chip for this game. It even steals system RAM, so your 1GB is really only 768MB to 896MB to begin with (128MB to 256MB dedicated to the 6100). TDM will use anywhere from 500MB to 800MB depending on the map, so you are likely doing some swapping as well. 

It should still be possible to play though, so try turning your TDM settings down in the main menu. That may reduce the overheating if it is in fact overheating, as well as increasing performance slightly.

the screen turns blue for a second with a bunch of words and numbers and the screen goes black and sometimes restarts the system

Sounds like a "Blue Screen of Death" (fatal whole-system crash) to me, which almost always indicates a hardware problem. Could be video card, RAM, etc. It's quite common for these problems to exist in your system but not manifest themselves until you exercise a particular feature or location in memory or whatever, and they can also only happen some of the time. So Doom 3 and even Saint Lucia work fine because they're not stressing a particular part of your system, but you fire up TDM and bam!

It also sounds like the time/place where you're seeing the crash is changing, which is another key indicator of an intermittent hardware fault.

If you can afford it, replacing the whole computer is your best bet. Sounds like it's time for an upgrade anyway. Otherwise, if you're knowledgeable enough to be messing around in your computer's insides, try (1) dusting it (seriously! you'd be surprised how many cases of system instability are due to dust building up inside the case, blocking airflow and insulating key components, causing overheating), (2) new RAM, (3) new graphics card, etc. If you take it to a computer repair shop they can do all of this for you.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.