The Dark Mod Forums

How to Run TDM with Steam?

TTH

Is anyone else experiencing major problems trying to run TDM under Steam (as in, bought Doom 3 from Steam and thus has to run it through the Steam UI) or Windows 7 x64 (RTM build)?

Firstly, tdmlauncher.exe doesn't launch The Dark Mod. Instead it launches vanilla Doom 3 and I had to use the +set fs_game command line in order to load the mod at start. Okay, no big deal.

However, no matter what I do both the training mission and Chalice of the Kings crash upon loading. The loading bar reaches 100%, the "please wait" text appears and after a minute or two the game crashes and Windows throws up the generic "the program has stopped working" dialogue. Curiously enough, Crown of Penitence works without a hitch and Outpost sort of works too. I say sort of because the mission runs at avg two frames per second (this is on a 3.2GHz Core 2 Duo and a HD4870). Trying to run the mod under Windows XP or Vista compatibility mode does nothing. I also played Tears of St. Lucia without any problems with the very same setup.

It's majorly frustrating because judging by the Crown of Penitence the mod is extremely well done and a proper spiritual successor to Thief.

Is anyone else experiencing major problems trying to run TDM under Steam (as in, bought Doom 3 from Steam and thus has to run it through the Steam UI) or Windows 7 x64 (RTM build)?

Firstly, tdmlauncher.exe doesn't launch The Dark Mod. Instead it launches vanilla Doom 3 and I had to use the +set fs_game command line in order to load the mod at start. Okay, no big deal.

However, no matter what I do both the training mission and Chalice of the Kings crash upon loading. The loading bar reaches 100%, the "please wait" text appears and after a minute or two the game crashes and Windows throws up the generic "the program has stopped working" dialogue. Curiously enough, Crown of Penitence works without a hitch and Outpost sort of works too. I say sort of because the mission runs at avg two frames per second (this is on a 3.2GHz Core 2 Duo and a HD4870). Trying to run the mod under Windows XP or Vista compatibility mode does nothing. I also played Tears of St. Lucia without any problems with the very same setup.

It's majorly frustrating because judging by the Crown of Penitence the mod is extremely well done and a proper spiritual successor to Thief.

I cant even get into the game. Whenever I launch the .exe I get a C++ Runtime Library error. At least you get to see the greatness of the title screen.

...tdmlauncher.exe doesn't launch The Dark Mod. Instead it launches vanilla Doom 3

I was just dropping in to see if anyone had a solution for that. I have that problem with my Steam copy of Doom3, but I never crash.

Anyone know the exact command line to use? I tried "+set fs_game darkmod" ala some threads I found, but it still boots into Doom 3, and I have to activate the mod manually. Does this below look right?

settingsh.jpg

Edited by Dario D.

I know people have got it working with steam D3, but I can't help as to how. Hopefully they'll chime in.

I modified the title to make it more clear what the problem is for casual readers.

Alright, the game still has (at least) three pre-determined spots where it crashes every single time. One is in the object manipulation room in the training mission. Then there are two doors in the Chalice of Kings (double doors on the second floor and a single door in a corridor on the first floor, near the crown) which crash the game every time I pick them. I was really enjoying the mission but it seems I cannot finish it.

Here you go: http://rapidshare.co...egames.rar.html

Right outside the first floor door. It crashes my game immediately once I've picked it, when the door should normally open.

The game also crashes when trying to enter the room via the fireplace. (And yes, I did blackjack those three guys in the corridor while they were alerted. It was one hell of a fight lemme tell you)

Edited by TTH

My Steam copy of Doom 3 won't run TDM by itself either.

I've tried using the +set fs_game_base darkmod command but to no avail, same with the TDM .exe in the TDM directory.

Whatever I try it's firing up Doom 3 from which I have to then go to mods, select TDM and then that starts over from scratch. It's a real pain.

Is there a solution to this?

What is in the tdmlauncher.log file when you try to run TDM with tdmlauncher?

Path to tdmlauncher is D:\GAMES\Steam\steamapps\ common\doom 3\darkmod\tdmlauncher.exe

Darkmod directory is D:\GAMES\Steam\steamapps\ common\doom 3\darkmod\

Trying default value for engine executable is D:\GAMES\Steam\steamapps\ common\doom 3\DOOM3.exe

Found engine executable in D:\GAMES\Steam\steamapps\ common\doom 3\DOOM3.exe

Could not find 'currentfm.txt' file in D:/GAMES/Steam/steamapps/common/doom 3/darkmod/currentfm.txt

Current FM is:

Full argument string is: +set fs_game_base darkmod

Starting process D:\GAMES\Steam\steamapps\ common\doom 3\DOOM3.exe +set fs_game_base darkmod

Closing logfile.

I had the same problem with St. Lucia, for what it's worth.

Edited by Annatar

I'm puzzled - looking at the tdmlauncher code there is nothing I could think that I could do better to check for that file - if that file is there and tdmlauncher cannot find it, we probably need a workaround solution.

I'm puzzled - looking at the tdmlauncher code there is nothing I could think that I could do better to check for that file - if that file is there and tdmlauncher cannot find it, we probably need a workaround solution.

Would the fact that some of the slashes are "backwards" in tdmlauncher.log be a problem?

Could not find 'currentfm.txt' file in D:/GAMES/Steam/steamapps/common/doom 3/darkmod/currentfm.txt

All the others go the other way:

D:\GAMES\Steam\steamapps\ common\doom 3\darkmod\tdmlauncher.exe
Edited by Annatar

No, this is just the logging output. I'm using boost::filesystem structures to query those files, and these libraries are as rock solid as a library can get. (The logging output is done via string() instead of file_string(), iirc.) I'm passing the correct string to fopen() so that cannot be the problem.

Windows will accept both forward slashes and backslashes in paths anyway, in almost all contexts.

I'm not sure why it can't find currentfm.txt, but as for loading vanilla D3, perhaps Steam is interfering somehow. I know it does odd things with game startup. e.g. The recommended way to start games under Steam is to use steam.exe's applaunch parameter: steam.exe -applaunch 9050

But it should work the other way as well, and in any case I'm not sure if it's possible to pass command line arguments to D3 via steam.exe. Still, you could try:

steam.exe -applaunch 9050 +set fs_game_base darkmod

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

Awesome. Sometimes I surprise myself. :D

Perhaps tdmlauncher can be extended in future to handle this case automatically. I'll go ahead and track that internally.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.