The Dark Mod Forums

Post your System Configuration here

greebo

New system/upgrade:

CPU: Intel Core i7 2600K Sandy Bridge @ 3.40GHz

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-P67-UD3-B3

RAM: 8gb DDR3 Kingston HyperX 1600MHz XMP

GPU: Asus Radeon HD5850 1GB

Resolution: Still 4320x900 @ max settings (why does the anti aliasing always reset to 0?:wacko: maybe I need some extra line in my autoexec.cfg?)

If you have AA set to 0 in the Doom 3 ini, then every mission you install will have it set to 0. Setting a installed mission to say 8x, will disappear the next time you uninstall that mission, or install another.

I find that I get way better AA performance by forcing it in the control panel anyways. Setting AA in Doom3 to say 8x gives me horrible fps, but if I set it in the Nvidia Control Panel then the FPS is only about 20%.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

I find that I get way better AA performance by forcing it in the control panel anyways. Setting AA in Doom3 to say 8x gives me horrible fps, but if I set it in the Nvidia Control Panel then the FPS is only about 20%.

?! :blink:

How the hell does that work? Does this apply to AA settings in CCC as well? I've always used application settings for everything unless running a game that doesn't have in-game options. maybe i got things all bass ackwards.

I can't say, AFAIK this issue is only related to Doom 3 (Maybe openGL?) + Nvidia + SLi. I have not tried this with only a single GPU active.

Normally you should set the control panel to use the game's AA implementation as it's usually tailored to that specific engine. If that doesn't work, then set the drivers to override, but this can cause issues within the game (IE rendering errors, AA not applied to where it's supposed to be). You can get around all those issues with SSAA anyways, but that's a huge performance hit.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey, just found out about this mod about a month ago and finally got around to installing it last night...absolutely amazing.

Currently, I am installing it on my laptop but I'll post the specs of my desktop that I got it playing very well on

Desktop:

Doom 3 Version: Steam Edition

CPU: Core 2 Quad Q9550 (2.83 ghz)

RAM: 8 GB DDR2

Hard Drive: ~710 Gigabytes on an LSI MegaRAID Card in a RAID 6 configuration (other 1.98 tb for linux)

GPU: Nvidia GTX 460 768MB

Resolution: 1920x1080 (runs pretty well...get some lag at certain points...I blame the id tech 4 engine)

Settings: 2x AA

16x AF

Bloom is High

Game runs great and it's never unplayable

I'm also going to set it up in linux as well for my desktop and laptop

Desktop stats are the same in linux except that I'll be running arch linux

Laptop Stats:

Model: Lenovo T61p

RAM: 4 gb ddr2

GPU: Quadro FX 570M (256 mb)

Resolution: 1920x1200

Storage: about 120 gigabytes allocated in my LVM setup

Doom 3 Version: off of AUR using the steam official files

Playability: We will see

Welcome to the forums Dr. TD!

You might need to back-off on the resolution and settings a bit but that Laptop should play the mod fine.

The graphics chip is pretty close to an nvidia 7600.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Hey, just found out about this mod about a month ago and finally got around to installing it last night...absolutely amazing.

Hey there, fellow newbie! =3

Glad that there's a flow of new people getting into the mod.

====

As for myself, my new computer (and only computer since my laptop GPU fried last summer) is this:

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit

Intel Core i5 760 Processor overclocked to 3.6GHz

Asus P7P55D-E LX Motherboard with USB 3.0

4GB PC3-12800 1600MHz DDR3 Memory

Chillblast Radeon HD 6850 1024MB Video Card

1000GB 7200RPM Hard Disk (x2)

Asus Xonar DS 7.1 PCI Sound Card

That's the meat of it - other stuff doesn't matter to the Dark Mod really.

Oh! And I run 1680 x 1050 on a 22" Dell Ultrasharp monitor.

I feel like after years in the wilderness, suffering cruddy computers and making poor decisions, I finally have a really nice computer I don't regret spending money on. <3

So don't be mean about my spec :''-((

"No proposition Euclid wrote,

No formulae the text-books know,

Will turn the bullet from your coat,

Or ward the tulwar's downward blow

Strike hard who cares—shoot straight who can—

The odds are on the cheaper man."

From 'Arithmetic on the Frontier' by Rudyard Kipling

• 3 weeks later...

New member to this forum but long-time TDM fan. I feel I have a debt to pay to the wonderful people who work on TDM. Hope you find this information to be useful.

- Windows 7 32-bit

- core i3 530 at 4.15GHz

- 4GB DDR3 ram

- MSI GTX 580 at 865MHz (1.5GB vram)

- Nvidia Drivers 270.61

- No problems. 100% smooth.

Right now, playing Return to the City v2 in TDM 1.05 with steam version of Doom3

After viewing cpu usage in windows task manager, the doom3 engine appears to be single-threaded. Single-threaded means doom3 cpu usage is only up to 50% for a dual-core, 33% for a tri-core, and 25% for a quad-core. My core i3 has 4 threads (2 cores + 2 hyperthreads) and total cpu usage stays around 25% (approx 50% usage on each real core and almost nothing on each hyperthread). I mention this because players should know that multiple cpu cores will result in little or no frame rate increase compared to one cpu core.

Update: I noticied that the dark mod sometimes seems to use more than one cpu core. My guess is all the code modifications are turning the dark mod into a multi-threaded game .... which is fantastic. But still, I have never seen cpu usage go past 2 cpu cores. I have proven this by playing on only 2 cpu cores (hyperthreading off) and there was no loss in frame rates. A fast dual-core cpu is more than sufficient to play the dark mod.

My results for Return to the City v2 (data obtained in MSI afterburner)

game settings:

1920x1080

AA = 8x and AF = 8x

ambient rendering = enhanced

interaction shader = enhanced

post processing = enabled

object detail = very high

vram usage = 1490-1520MB (using almost all vram)

gpu usage = 35-70%

frame rate is 50-63fps (usually near 60)

By the way, I also have Nvidia 3D vision but it does not work with openGL games. I disabled 3D vision in the control panel while playing TDM.

Edited by Partol

Oh! I forgot to say my performance and / or issues:

Have the AA and AF to 8x and 16x and everything maxed out -but post processing gives me an upside down "fish eye" lens view of the whole world so I have to turn it off.

When I try turning it to 16x AA it just plain crashes and restarts so I put it up by increments and found 8x works.

Everything is playable and smooth, tried almost every level. Having the filters on that high does begin to hit the frame rate so might turn them back to 4x in order to get back up to super smooth FPS.

I have that bloody sky box issue which drives me mad - fiddling with Catalyst doesn't help so I used Fidcal's solution with a cfg file to reset the skybox to the default!

Occasional crashes seem due to replicable ones in the level design rather than hardware problems or conflicts.

"No proposition Euclid wrote,

No formulae the text-books know,

Will turn the bullet from your coat,

Or ward the tulwar's downward blow

Strike hard who cares—shoot straight who can—

The odds are on the cheaper man."

From 'Arithmetic on the Frontier' by Rudyard Kipling

Oh! I forgot to say my performance and / or issues:

Have the AA and AF to 8x and 16x and everything maxed out -but post processing gives me an upside down "fish eye" lens view of the whole world so I have to turn it off.

When I try turning it to 16x AA it just plain crashes and restarts so I put it up by increments and found 8x works.

Everything is playable and smooth, tried almost every level. Having the filters on that high does begin to hit the frame rate so might turn them back to 4x in order to get back up to super smooth FPS.

I have that bloody sky box issue which drives me mad - fiddling with Catalyst doesn't help so I used Fidcal's solution with a cfg file to reset the skybox to the default!

Occasional crashes seem due to replicable ones in the level design rather than hardware problems or conflicts.

Apparently Doom3 only supports up to 8xAA in game, but if you use the GPU control panel you can usually force anything, for example I can't get higher than 8 x using Doom3 settings, but I can go to 32xAA using the Nvidia Control panel. This may be harder if you have an ATI card.

• 7 months later...

Updated for OS, video and audio hardware. My previous post will be edited.

Mageia Linux 2a (aka "Cauldron", development version)

uname -a: Linux localhost 3.1.6-server-2.mga2 #1 SMP Sat Dec 24 01:00:43 UTC 2011 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

MSI K9N2 Diamond mobo - due for upgrade

AMD Phenom 9650 Quad-core -due for upgrade

4 Gig RAM @ 800MHz - due for upgrade

Video: PNY GTX550Ti nvidia, 1024M, driver: 290.10, OpenGL version 4.2.0 NVIDIA 290.10 - upgrade soon

Monitor: 24" Samsung SyncMaster x2

Resolution in game, fullscreen: 1680x1050.

Resolution of desktop: 3840x1200

X.Org: Vendor Release Number 1.11.2 (11102000)

Audio: HT|Omega CLARO halo XT, C-Media Electronics Inc. CMI8788, irq 16, module= snd_oxygen

Edited by PranQster

System: Mageia Linux Cauldron, aka Mageia 8

• 3 months later...

Windows 7 64 bit home SP1

Intel Dual core 2.7 Ghz * 2

6GB DDR3

Gforce GTX 550 Ti 1Gb GDDR5

I run D3 and The Dark Mod at 1366x768 wide screen, full graphics AA Etc..., mostly due to the graphics card and ram, my system is on the verge of obsolete.

Go to www.rejlive.com to make a little extra cash every month

• 2 months later...

just bought Dell XPS 8500 for this editor:

Win 7 home Pre - will update this to win 7 ultimate when I get around to it...

i7-3770 3rd gen

8 gig Ram DDr 1600's

AMD Radeon HD 7570 1 gb - ill update this soon, the cards thier OEM but for now its working

running all max settings, so far the card handels most anything im throwing at it.

Once I found Dark Mod, I had to get a computer for it. I LOVE this game...

just posting so if anyone has a problem with my missions I make we can track down if its a hardware prob etc.

Thats a pokey machine, bit overkill if its just for making TDM missions :-)

Be aware that you may get the spinning sky issue on that 7950 card, there is a tweak for this via the AMD vision center (as amd removed the ability to disable catalyst AI in the CCC)

yea i get a machine about every other year the timing was good this time :) I edit alot on my office computer heres that set up, older HP quad with vista booo... Il gonna duel monitor the home one too this set up is just nice. kinda ran outa room to watch movies while im editing though ;)

2mmzfxl.jpg

please forgive the sloppy map I have up I was learning arches and thier NOT perfect lol oh and the movie is Prometheus

Edited by wrichards
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Looks like German to me.

-------------------------------------------

Wow, the spammers are getting smart and recycle other people's posts now ... :ph34r: ghlieweq other post was in the Benchmark demo thread, and what he posted here was also something that someone else already posted somewhere else on this forum. The link in his sig goes to a page selling (probably fake) handbags.

Can some moderator please nuke his account and his posts (and then this post here). Thanx!

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

• 2 months later...

- Linux 64bit (both Ubunu and Debian)

- 3rd Generation Intel Core i7-3630QM Processor

- 8GB DDR3 SDRAM at 1600MHz

- Intel HD Graphics 4000

TDM is fine but only with uncompressed textures (http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/13910-hd4000-warning-couldnt-load-image) and no AA. Used it with almost every mission. Working on the missing ones :).

System76 Gazelle professional with Intel® Core i7-3610QM CPU @ 2.30GHz, 8GB ram and Intel HD Graphics 4000

https://www.system76.com/laptops/model/gazp8

• 2 weeks later...

- Linux 64bit (both Ubunu and Debian)

- 3rd Generation Intel Core i7-3630QM Processor

- 8GB DDR3 SDRAM at 1600MHz

- Intel HD Graphics 4000

cryin shame theres no discreet gpu in that laptop, it would wreck some shit. The RAM is left to attempt to bridge the gap, and is found wanting.

I repost my conf with the ssd upgrade and performance info:

• CPU: Intel I5 760 @3.5Ghz (overclocked with turbo boost)
  • Ram: 4GB DDR3 1600 7-8-7-24
  • GPU: Ati HD6870 1 gb
  • Video Driver: 12.4 (i guess)
  • Storage: corsair force gt 120gb+hdd western digital 250 gb 7200 rpm

performance: i play the game at maximum details (with aa e af) and 1680x1050. The missions framerate stays always around 60 fps except for some rare points of some missions in wich the framerate falls to 30 (probably for IAs) and then returns to 60. i'm speaking however about some seconds throughout the mission. the missions loading with the ssd is a lot faster.

issue: only the problem with ati and hdr/bloom, but with tdm 1.08 the problem has been solved.

Edited by ECHELON

• 2 weeks later...

If anybody has run TDM on one of those new AMD APUs, please speak up. I've already got plenty of hardware, but it would be nice to know how those things with the integrated Radeons run TDM.

I tested TDM on my Ideapad Y580 a wile ago and it obviously ran very smooth. As said above, it ran on the integrated Intel GPU, but with AA on, it was too painful to play. When I turned on the GTX660m though...

(I7 3610QM, 8 GB)

Edited by lost_soul

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.

• 2 months later...

Hello all:

Newbie time....

Currently I am using a laptop and that won't change any time soon, I may get a new one in the fall. My home is a boat and there is not a lot of room or power for a big stand up home system around. The one I have now is approaching two years of age and is a bit dated.

Current Specs:

Sager NP8130 / Clevo P151HM1

- Display: 15.6” FHD 16:9 LED Backlit Wide screen (1920x1080) Super Clear Glare Type Screen

- Graphics Video Card: nVidia GeForce GTX 560M 1,536MB Driver 9.18.13.697

- Operating System: ~Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit Installed

- Primary Hard Drive: 500GB 7200RPM (Serial-ATA II 300 - 16MB Cache))

- Processor: 2nd Generation Intel® Core™ i7-2630QM, 2.0-2.8GHz, (32nm, 6MB L3 cache)

- Ram: 8GB - DDR3 1333MHz Dual Channel Memory (2 SODIMMS)

- Sound Card: Sound Blaster Compatible 3D Audio

These specs are just fine to run most of the old games I use at max settings. I am catching up with the games I have missed.

FarCry was a good play with mostly the highest settings, AA on 2 or disabled.

I have acquired Thief 2 through GOM and have even played the Shadows of the Metal Age fan missions/game. All on the very highest settings..... I skipped Thief 3 because of the negative reviews. I was a Thief 1 fan prior to moving on to a boat.

Now, because of finding The Dark Mod, I have ordered up a used copy of Doom3 from amazon (like new, very good condition, or so the advertising states.) I decided to go this rout because steam is so bad with 'international based' customers that move around with bank accounts and credit cards based in the USA. I tired to get reconnected with them but their support is less than stellar. Now for a little 6 hour drive to the old post box in Arizona.....

I am a retired 'tool-maker' / systems programmer. Might try my hand at programming again.....

Either I am obsessive or just dedicated.