The Dark Mod Forums

Post your System Configuration here

greebo

I want to share my DxDiag for the laptop I find myself using more often.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B82Nuxua9A8Dd216bmVPeDhUYkk/view?usp=sharing

Performance in TDM, even after 2.05 is pretty crap. I was thinking to remove any FPS cap to help it. Real problems surface with particles and things like that.

What was the catch with the perforamance boosters planned for 2.05? How many people feel it had a significant outcome for them?

The wiki has helpful customization to manually do the sunrise and get the settings down for low performance PC's, but I wonder if I'm missing something.

Games such as Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines ran quite decently and this isn't a PC that old, especially Doom 3 engine wise.

Not expecting amazing horsepower, but still, 10 FPS at any scene with particles?

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

Is the above running under 2.05..? and which "Intel HD" chip is it, the HD 3000...? if so you gonna have a hard time running most games under that GPu.

Yes, just updated to 2.05. It says on the ticket "Intel Dual Core B830 1.8 Ghz.

It's an "X301A Asus".

I presume the only solution than is to find time to manually configure and remove particles. Are there any plans to make extreme low settings like these available in the game settings? For low perf. PC's they look quite limited (at least if making the game available to those PC's is in plans at all).

Edited by Anderson

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

badge?user=andarson

Yes, just updated to 2.05. It says on the ticket "Intel Dual Core B830 1.8 Ghz.

It's an "X301A Asus".

I presume the only solution than is to find time to manually configure and remove particles. Are there any plans to make extreme low settings like these available in the game settings? For low perf. PC's they look quite limited (at least if making the game available to those PC's is in plans at all).

Try

r_usefbo 1

r_fboColorBits 15

r_fboSharedColor 1

r_fboSharedDepth 1

But may I suggest to please create a separate topic for further discussion?

• Like 1

1.8ghz is going to struggle with vanilla Doom 3. The Dark Mod is heavier still.

That said, I would like to check your Darkmod.cfg, so please post it with a txt extension.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

But may I suggest to please create a separate topic for further discussion?

Do you mean in regards to more fixes for low perf. PC's?

I haven't changed anything yet. I will start to check out duzenko's advice further next week:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B82Nuxua9A8DLVIxMVFqdDFMQWc/view?usp=sharing

Edited by Anderson

badge?user=andarson

Do you mean in regards to more fixes for low perf. PC's?

Exactly.

I am myself stuck with a mobile Intel 15W chip.

It's not as bad as the 4W chip I had before but still not enough for 30fps at 1080p.

Mine is a 14nm chip, while yours is 32nm, so it is probably as slow for you at 768p.

The fbo thing I've been sporadically working on recently is designed specifically for low end systems like mine.

I've been thinking about an option to skip particles at all for a long time now, but my knowledge of engine and especially of mapping concepts is very limited.

Exactly.

I am myself stuck with a mobile Intel 15W chip.

It's not as bad as the 4W chip I had before but still not enough for 30fps at 1080p.

Mine is a 14nm chip, while yours is 32nm, so it is probably as slow for you at 768p.

The fbo thing I've been sporadically working on recently is designed specifically for low end systems like mine.

I've been thinking about an option to skip particles at all for a long time now, but my knowledge of engine and especially of mapping concepts is very limited.

As far as I saw, particles were introduced in 2.03. More info here: http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Particles

What we don't know is how high up in the priority list such changes for option customizations are for the team. We saw how slow, unpredictable and difficult any ETA is for releasing future patches in reasonably defined timelines can prove to be.

badge?user=andarson

• 1 year later...

For historical purposes, these cvar changes cause problems with 2.06

seta cm_backFaceCull "1"
seta image_useNormalCompression "0"
seta s_force22kHz "1"

Please do not use these changes.
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

I think I have some good news in terms of CPU scaling.

Until recently, I had an old 1st gen i7 950@3.02 GHz, paired up with 16 gigs of RAM @ 1000 MHz, with GTX 1060 in 1440p native resolution. Any mission having more than 3500 drawcalls per scene made the framerate go down below 60 fps. Other factors scaled up pretty well, perhaps due to relatively new GPU (300k of shadow tris seemed impressive, where the recommended value is 80-100k).

A few days ago I built new Coffee Lake-based rig, with i7 8700 CPU @ 3.2-4.6 GHz (Auto preset), 32 gigs of 3000 MHz RAM and the same GPU as above. Results have improved a lot, and demanding scenes from FMs like Briarwood Manor or Northdale Act I run in 60 FPS now:

obraz.png

obraz.png

• Like 1

By the way, this section http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Performance_Tweaks#.28Nvidia.29_Disable_Threaded_Optimizations

seems plain wrong for my new configuration, for both TDM 2.05 and 2.06. When I disable threaded optimization, the framerate in Briarwood Manor tanks to 25 FPS again.

• Like 1

Yup, I used com_fixedTic for TDM 2.05 as well. IMO it would be great to ask other forum members with Nvidia cards to toggle between Auto and Off for Threaded optimization, and to note their results (using com_showFPS or other frame rate meter).

By the way, it seems that newer Nvidia drivers (my version is 398.36) don't have Multi-display/Mixed GPU acceleration option available any longer.

Edited by Judith
  • Like 1

If you enable multi-core support in 2.06, then TDM uses two threads which both have their own OpenGL context and talk to the driver. It's little wonder that disabling threaded optimizations would be hurtful in that scenario.

Might be more interesting to try that with one of the experimental 2.07 builds, though. Those have eliminated the secondary context, so they might behave differently.

• Like 1

Threaded Optimization takes the GL calls by the engine and attempts to rearrange them to be submit in parallel.

Engines that are explicitly coded to render in parallel typically see less benefit than engines which are single core

or do not take advantage of parallel rendering very well.

Nvidia does all sorts of magic in their drivers in this regard.

For example, we did an experiment where all materials of the same type were batched prior to submitting them as a GL call and

on AMD hardware this was a nice increase whereas Nvidia had performance loss because it already does this internally in the driver.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

2019 Upgrade (ready for Cyberpunk 2077 now):

Intel Core i7-6700K,
Motherboard: ASUS Z170 PRO GAMING - Intel Z170
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX Black 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3000
GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 2080Ti GAMING X TRIO 11G, 11GB GDDR6
HDD: Samsung SSD 970 EVO PLUS, M.2 - 500GB Seagate Desktop SSHD - 2TB
Blu ray: ASUS BW-16D1HT
Skriňa: CoolerMaster Storm, Trooper Edition Cooler: Zalman CNPS9800 MAX Source: Be quiet! Straight Power 10 800W
Monitor: Dell Alienware AW3418DW - LED monitor 34"
Win10 Pro

Edited by Tarhiel

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Posting my reasonably old workstation specs here:

• Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30GHz (4 core)
  • 16GB RAM
  • Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Cayman PRO [Radeon HD 6950]
  • 1920x1200 display
  • Fedora 31 XFCE (damn, time to upgrade to 32)

Works pretty well.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Araneidae said:

• Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Cayman PRO [Radeon HD 6950]

Works pretty well.

Very similar setup. Same card, really can’t believe how decently it handles the mod. For being 9 yrs old, I’m impressed.

As my father used to say, "A grenade a day, keeps the enemy at bay!"

My one FM so far: Paying the Bills: 0 - Moving Day

A couple of weeks ago: Dual-core Pentium running at 4.3GHz, 16GB Cors. Veng. DDR3, nvidia 1060, and three very old 1TB spinning drives. Asus 27" and Dell 24" screens, both at 1920x1080.

As of now: Same GPU and monitors as before. Two of the drives were replaced with WDC SATA 1TB SSDs for '/' and '/home'. Third drive still spinning as '/storage'.

Nov. 14 Edit: The SATA SSDs are now '/storage' and '/backup' after moving my / and /home drives to 1TB and 2TB NVME M.2 drives.

The rest of the machine was completely replaced with:

Ryzen 9 9300x, 32GB pc3200 Corsair blinky light thingies, and an MSI x570 mobo to help hold those in place. New Corsair mouse(s), kb, and mid-tower case. PC Power & Cooling 1050W modular PSU (don't get this unless your case is full size). The current SSDs will become storage drives when I upgrade them to M.2 v3/v4.... which has now been done.

Running Mageia 8 with RGB light control working for keyboard, mouse, case fans and RAM modules.

Screenshot_20200612_194735.png.39914321a3910463cafc5637d1a12821.png

Edited by PranQster
  • Like 1

System: Mageia Linux Cauldron, aka Mageia 8

• 5 months later...

🙂

AMD A10-6700

Board | MSI 2AE0

8 Gigs DDR 3 RAM Single Channel. The Plastic Clips for the slots 2, 3 and 4 broke and I don't know what to do about it. 😕

GTX 1060 3GB

500 GB SSD

1T HDD

I'm getting constant Memory issues. Any help or suggestions as of where to go from help are appreciated. 

• Like 1

On 11/13/2020 at 8:03 PM, Taquito. said:

🙂

AMD A10-6700

Board | MSI 2AE0

8 Gigs DDR 3 RAM Single Channel. The Plastic Clips for the slots 2, 3 and 4 broke and I don't know what to do about it. 😕

GTX 1060 3GB

500 GB SSD

1T HDD

I'm getting constant Memory issues. Any help or suggestions as of where to go from help are appreciated. 

Time to upgrade I'm afraid. Ryzen 5600X on b550 motherboard with dual channel 16GB DDR4 (2x8GB)

• Thanks 1

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.