The Dark Mod Forums

Post your System Configuration here

greebo

Just now, revelator said:

probably more added but as i remember doom3 did not even support com_fixedtic atleast it did nothing in the code before

you're wrong. this command has helped me and a lot of players a lot. it was enough to write to autoexec. cfg

seta com_fixedTic "1"

5 hours ago, cabalistic said:

Um... com_fixedTic is available in the menu under Video -> Advanced -> Uncapped FPS. Furthermore, the default value is in fact 0. There is no need for a custom file to change this setting, and it's not going anywhere :)

He's trolling.

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

5 hours ago, Gadavre said:

you're wrong. this command has helped me and a lot of players a lot. it was enough to write to autoexec. cfg

seta com_fixedTic "1"

It's not a "command", it's a VARIABLE.

You know nothing about ID3Tech engine, LOL, Mr "I am an experienced tester"

Are you a friend of Shadowhide? 😛

Edited by lowenz

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

been a while since i toyed with the source code but yeah it did do something in the past as well but maybe not what you would expect. The problem with it in stock doom3 was that even though it removed microstutter it also caused things to go out of sync, sound etc... also it made the game run way to fast as the original code was built around a capped tic of 62.5 (old quake 3 limit actually). This caused the game to actually run at 59 fps and not 60 which many people noticed after mucking about with this variable. In fact even after setting com_fixedtic if you used a framerate limiter to limit it to 60 fps with com_fixedtic on it would cause microstutter if you lowered it one frame more to 59 :).

The code was fixed in darkmod and i been working on getting it ported back to doom3 but im mostly retired these days so it is slow going.

• Like 3

Used to have an old Asus with a Phenom II and a Radeon HD6950 and 8GB RAM on some old 60Hz monitor

Now I'm running a Legion5 with a Ryzen7 3700X and a GeForce GTX 1660 Super and 16GB RAM on a curved 144Hz monitor

It's really nothing special by today's standards but all I've wanted to play the past ten years was TDM so I can thankfully crank shit up without slowdowns and running around my WIP actually got me randy. Felt like a brand new game! (new S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Anomaly 1.5.1 with some new modpacks was super sexy too) Now I can let my kid destroy the old PC with Roblox all he wants and I don't have to worry about losing my precious work.

Oh, and DR runs soooo much better too, I expect my mapping workflow to dramatically speed up, so maybe after six months of radio silence on my beta, I can finally have something to show.

• Like 1

As my father used to say, "A grenade a day, keeps the enemy at bay!"

My one FM so far: Paying the Bills: 0 - Moving Day

Still rocking my GTX 970. It's old but it certain has legs, and for the stuff I play it's normally quite good since I'm still on 1080p. The only game that's been able to brutalize it even on low settings has been Cyberpunk 2077, but my enthusiasm for that game has gone a bit timid at the moment so it doesn't bother me that much. I will eventually upgrade, but this isn't a good time for such purchases. I just hope it doesn't blow up and I need to purchase something quickly to replace it (knock on wood).

That being said, I still run TDM using stencil shadows with no soft shadowing because things will start slowing down if I bump it up. But if I'm honest, the other reason I don't bother with soft shadows is because I can't for the life of me decide whether to use stencil or shadow maps! Stencil + hard shadows is classic Doom 3 which I like. If I'm gonna move to soft shadows though, I may end up waiting until the TDM devs decide which shadowing tech they want to solely rely on.

A word of warning, Agent Denton. This was a simulated experience; real LAMs will not be so forgiving.

On 3/26/2021 at 10:56 PM, cabalistic said:

Um... com_fixedTic is available in the menu under Video -> Advanced -> Uncapped FPS. Furthermore, the default value is in fact 0. There is no need for a custom file to change this setting, and it's not going anywhere :)

sorry. I made a mistake. the game goes without stuttering, if i set the value like this:

com_fixedTic 1

value of 0 always gives a stuttering, frieze, regardless of the set fps limit. in my mashine

Edited by Gadavre

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 4/17/2014 at 4:46 PM, esme said:

- Windows 7 Professional SP1 (64 Bit)

- Intel Core i7-4770 @3.4Ghz

- 8Gb Ram

- Nvidia Quadro K600 (192 cores, 1Gb Frame Buffer)

- Nvidia Graphics Driver 320.09

- Unzipped the AtomicGamer DarkMod_2.0.zip file, ran tdm_update.exe and TDM worked out of the box

Running with 16:9 aspect ratio 1920x1080res, fullscreen, no vsync, antialias off & texture anisotropy at 1x

Changed slightly, now it's

- ZorinOS 15.3 64 bit (it's a fork of Ubuntu and a right pig to get crash dumps out of)

- Intel Core i7-4770 @3.4Ghz

- 8Gb Ram

- Primary display, Nvidia Quadro K600 (192 cores, 1Gb Frame Buffer, Nvidia Driver 460.91.03, 1920x1080 resolution

- Secondary display, on board graphics, not used for gaming, 1920x1080 resolution

- Downloaded TDM installer from TDM site to install

• 4 months later...
On 10/1/2021 at 3:56 PM, esme said:

- Secondary display, on board graphics, not used for gaming, 1920x1080 resolution

Is there a benefit of putting the onboard graphics on the secondary monitor instead of using the external gpu for both?

Edited by datiswous

Well there was indeed an nvidia driver bug on Linux with displayport. I can't use mine either (although I haven't tried in a while). The K600 has a displayport and dvi connection, so that could be it.

I thought that possibly performance would be better if one gpu doesn't display on more than one monitor. Probably not, but these kind of configurations make me wonder sometimes..

Got this system early last year, n redid my Study to make sure it's dust free this time. 

Processor:    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 8-Core Processor, 3801 Mhz, 8 Core(s), 16 Logical Processor(s)
Motherboard:   Gigabyte Technology System Model    X570 AORUS ULTRA
RAM:  Physical Memory (RAM)    32.0 GB
GPU: Nvidia Geforce 1070 with 8Gb Ram

C:\ Drive 256 Gb SSD on board
D:\ Drive 256 Gb SSD dedicated Rolling Cache for MSFS2020
E:\1 Tb HDD Dedicated to System Apps
F:\ 4 Tb SSHD Dedicated to YouTube 
G:\ 5Tb HDD External Dedicated Backup Drive
H:\ 1 Tb HDD External - My Main Gaming drive
I:\ 500 Gb External - Rebuild drive used to rebuilding the system, contains all my downloads. 

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/

On 2/9/2022 at 10:50 AM, datiswous said:

Is there a benefit of putting the onboard graphics on the secondary monitor instead of using the external gpu for both?

TBH I never actually tried it on the k600, I use the 2nd screen mainly for debugging so I don't need fancy graphics on it, Plus as I remember the first cable I laid my hands on happened to fit so I just used that, next time I'm juggling cables I'll give it a shot

• 2 months later...

Got a new computer about 2 weeks ago, so I thought I'd update my system specs:

Intel i5-11600K
Geforce RTX 3060 Ti
16 GB DDR4-3200 Ram
ASUS TUF Gaming B560 WIFI Plus mainboard
1 TB M.2 SSD & 1 TB HDD
Still using my old BenQ 2580HM monitor, which is nice for TDM.

I can play with most settings maxed out, and get a stable 60 FPS in all missions (Vsync on). TDM still seems laggy in some places, just like on my old computer. Seems that it has nothing to do with frame rate, oddly.

Guess I should post my new system also.

Intel 12700k
AMD Radeon 6800XT Phantom Gaming D
32GB DDR4-3600 RAM
Asus Prime z690
Dell S2522HG IPS 240hz Gsync/Freesync

Fractal Design Meshify 2 Case (fucking hate this thing)
Too many drives to list

Super powerful system, been playing Elden Ring at maxxed out settings at 100-120 fps depending on the area.

TDM is still it's normal self for the most part, GPU and CPU usually not doing much.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

• 1 month later...

Currently I temporarily play/work on a Lenovo X220 laptop

Specs:

CPU:  Dual Core Intel Core i5-2520M
Memory:  8 gb dual channel ram
GPU:  Intel hd 3000
Harddrive:  250GB ssd
Monitor:  12.5 inch tft 1366x768

External monitor: IIyama 24" AMVA

Edited by datiswous

• 3 weeks later...