The Dark Mod Forums

Post your System Configuration here

greebo

slowly started upgrading my rig though i had to take a few shortcuts because of current prices.

msi Z97 gaming 7 core i7 4970k 32 gb ram nzxt h710i case artic freezer 2 360 asus roq strix 1080 ti 1 tb samsung nvme.

the biggets hurdle so far has been the nvme drive because the z97 chipset was one of the first intel models to support the m.2 standard it is a bit on the slow side for an nvme (about 1 gb transfer speed). this is becuse the m.2 slot only operates at pcie 1x. besides that it runs pretty well and my new gfx card has no problems with current games either.

On 6/20/2022 at 5:57 PM, datiswous said:

Why did you buy it then?

I like fractal's cases, great airflow.

This case has a non removable metal shield the covers the power supply for "looks". The EVGA power supply I bought has super stiff cables and getting everything bent around and into the modular power supply was such a pain, I still have nightmares about it.

It took me 8 hours almost to get the computer built.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

• 3 months later...

Laptop specs:

1. OS: Manjaro Linux / xfce & i3
  2. CPU: Intel i5 6300HQ @ 3.2 Ghz (Underclocked 8%)
  3. RAM: 12 GB DDR3L, 1 x 4GB + 1 x 8GB Samsung DDRL 1666 Mhz
  4. GPU: Dedicated Gtx 960M 4GB (Propietary Nvidia Drivers)
  5. Storage: 128 GB m2 SSD + 1TB HDD
  6. Resolutions: 1080p / 900p
  7. Monitor: Integrated no glare FHD screen  @1080p 60hz / 5 ms, Docked via DP to MSI Optix gc27hq @1080p 144hz / 3 ms.
  8. Audio: Logitech G pro + USB DAC / OpenAL + custom 48000 hrtf profile

Running TDM @ 1080p, medium-high settings, disabled post-processing effects and AA disabled, at 55~60 fps, dops to 45~50 fps on dense areas.

Desktop pc specs:

1. OS: Windows 10 pro 64 bits
  2. MOBO: MPG B550 GAMING PLUS
  3. PSU: Corsair RM750 80+ Gold
  4. CPU: Ryzen 7 5700G + AIO Balamrush Hydrox
  5. RAM: 32 GB DDR4 XPG (4x8) @ 3533 Mhz (RAM Boost from stock 3000 Mhz)
  6. GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3080 10GB Windforce [update from gtx 1080 8GB] (undervolted 200mhz @ 1920 mhz : 875 mV baseline, overclocked 1000mz.
  7. Storage:
    1. Windows: 256 GB Xpg spectrix M2 SSD
    2. Mass storage: 4x 1TB ADATA green SSD in RAID
    3. Games: 1TB Samsung 980 pro 1TB NVME PCIE SSD.
  8. Monitor: DP to MSI Optix gc27hq @1440p 165hz / 1~2 ms
  9. Audio: Logitech G pro + modded DCH realtek SB Xifi MB5 drivers + OpenAL + Creative Alchemy + custom 48000 hrtf profile

Benchmark stress test settings: Running TDM @ 1440p, fps uncapped set at 300 in game

• Object LOD: Very high (Huge fps impact, no difference between High setting)
  • Fov: 130
  • Shadows: Maps
  • Shadow quality: Very high (Huge fps impact, no difference with High setting)
  • Shadow softness: Maxed (Performance hit, shadows look unnatural, recommended 3 - 4 ticks max)
  • Color precision: 64 bits
  • Bloom: on & maxed (slight performance hit, lights look bright and surfaces too saturated, recommend 3 - 5 ticks for best quality-performance balanced).
  • Ambient Occlusion: High (High performance hit, medium gives the exact same results with less performance hit)
  • Frontend acceleration: On
  • Anti Aliasing: 16x (Most fps hog setting, 8x gives no visual difference against this, and does not impact performance as much)
  • Texture Anisotropy: 16x (little difference between 16x and 8x on high resolutions, 4x is also good but mipmap shimmering becomes apparent on big areas).
  • Vsync: Off

Result: 90~95 fps on small areas and indoors, 65~60 fps on exteriors and entity / render heavy scenes, 1% lows 45 fps.

Gameplay settings: Running TDM @ 1440p, fps uncapped set at 170 in game

• Object LOD: High (Medium is also acceptable, but objects become low slightly less detailed at a distance)
  • Fov: 90 (anything above introduces a little fish eye effect).
  • Shadows: Maps (Stencil is also good but some dynamic shadows that the lantern and other dynamic lights cast look odd)
  • Shadow quality: High (Medium looks almost the same, except for some shimmering artifacts at shadow borders from dynamic casts)
  • Shadow softness: 3 ticks
  • Color precision: 64 bits
  • Bloom: on & 2 ticks
  • Ambient Occlusion: Medium
  • Frontend acceleration: On
  • Anti Aliasing: 4x
  • Texture Anisotropy: 8x
  • Vsync: On @ 165 hz

Result:  165 stable fps everywhere, 1% low 155 fps.
Alternate: 250 fps with vsync off and fps limiter set to 300, 1% lows to 165 fps, too unstable.

Edited by Reoscachazos
Updated Hardware, specs and settings
  • Like 1

Oh yes, Indeed, thanks for pointing the typo.

I purchased the R7500G during the crypto-craze, when GPU's were 4x MSRP and most models unavailable for retail, the inegrated Vega APU helped me through the whole pandemic lockdown. it's a suprisingly capable CPU/APU combo, I could play most recent games at 1080p on mid-high settings with stable 80 fps.

I was considering a mid term upgrade to R9 5900x, perhaps now to the X3D series now that you've metioned it, and giving my R7 to my younger brother, he is still gaming on my ancient AMD Bulldozer 6300 build, which was never adequate in the first place for gaming... or any serious tasks tbh, it have always bottlenecked without serious OC.

• 2 months later...

Got a used RTX 2060 6GB for Christmas!

It's pretty strange being able to run TDM at full renderscale 1080p, shadow maps at 1440 size, soft shadows quality 25, 4xMSAA, 16xAF (SSAO, Bloom, and Fresnel mod) and still have gas in the tank for 100FPS or more.

I found that Penny Dreadful 3 courtyard performance can be conquered by a better GPU and so can the opening area of Briarwoord Manor ( notorious outliers ) and the finale area of Written in Stone.

However, the tavern in BCD is still stubbornly stuck at 40FPS and Scroll of Remembrance is stuck at 37 FPS.

I went back to do a performance comparison between 1.07 vs 2.11 beta and found that even with my new GPU 1.07 runs the original Return to the City at sub 30FPS in the opening area. In 2.11 with equivalent settings I get 95FPS with the same map.

I was also saddened to see the Serengrove map running under Doom 3 Sikkmod still runs sub-20 FPS. On a lark I tried extracting it to RBDoom3BFG and it was locked at 60FPS with all fancy features enabled.

There has been a longstanding stance that Doom 3's CPU usage was a bit heavy but the biggest consumer was GPU fillrate. Based on my testing, throwing fillrate at the problem doesn't seem to be the magic bullet. Given how much better CPU optimization is for both TDM 2.11 and RBDoom3BFG I would guess that a smaller GPU upgrade and a better CPU would have been a better choice. I'm still overall happy with my upgrade and the i7-3770S is still holding it's own pretty well too.

• Like 3

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

5 hours ago, nbohr1more said:

Got a used RTX 2060 6GB for Christmas!

It's pretty strange being able to run TDM at full renderscale 1080p, shadow maps at 1440 size, soft shadows quality 25, 4xMSAA, 16xAF (SSAO, Bloom, and Fresnel mod) and still have gas in the tank for 100FPS or more.

I found that Penny Dreadful 3 courtyard performance can be conquered by a better GPU and so can the opening area of Briarwoord Manor ( notorious outliers ) and the finale area of Written in Stone.

However, the tavern in BCD is still stubbornly stuck at 40FPS and Scroll of Remembrance is stuck at 37 FPS.

I went back to do a performance comparison between 1.07 vs 2.11 beta and found that even with my new GPU 1.07 runs the original Return to the City at sub 30FPS in the opening area. In 2.11 with equivalent settings I get 95FPS with the same map.

I was also saddened to see the Serengrove map running under Doom 3 Sikkmod still runs sub-20 FPS. On a lark I tried extracting it to RBDoom3BFG and it was locked at 60FPS with all fancy features enabled.

There has been a longstanding stance that Doom 3's CPU usage was a bit heavy but the biggest consumer was GPU fillrate. Based on my testing, throwing fillrate at the problem doesn't seem to be the magic bullet. Given how much better CPU optimization is for both TDM 2.11 and RBDoom3BFG I would guess that a smaller GPU upgrade and a better CPU would have been a better choice. I'm still overall happy with my upgrade and the i7-3770S is still holding it's own pretty well too.

Congrats on that upgrade, but you are definitely CPU bound now.
I'm going to be upgrading my 12700k to a 13700k/13900k in the near future. I think you have a new cpu in your future.

• Like 1

updated my old machine also, turns out it blasts through anything with the upgrades :)

gigabyte gtx 1080 ti OC replaced my aging R9 290X (my electric bill thanks me...) one of the only gfx cards i know of with a white color scheme, it has a reputation of overheating a bit due to the cooler basically being the same as the 1070 variant but mine newer goes above 60" no matter what.

64 gb ddr3 kingston black edition upgraded from 32gb (they are OC ram and can pretty much run at the same speed as ddr4).

nvme riser with a 1 tb samsung pro ssd upgraded my old sata 6 ssd gave me more than 6 times the throughput from around 500 something to well above 3800 mb's woa...

cpu xeon 1680v2 8 core hyperthreaded old one was a 6 core hyperthreaded 3930k and a bit of a wattage monster (could hit more than 600 watt usage when things really got tough ouch).

asus x79 deluxe mainboard (best of the x79 mainboards old as f... but still going strong had mine for nearly 12 years).

soundblaster x-fi platinum (still a pretty good soundcard even though it is getting old).

well turned out i had enough parts to make an ok third pc also.

ASUS P9X79LE board with an older lga 2011 xeon 4 core (no hyperthreading on this cpu).

4 gb samsung ddr3 ram (bit on the low side but it actually runs better than i imagined).

asus strix 970 gtx OC gfx card.

intel 256 gb ssd + 2 mechanical harddrives one 1tb and one 500gb.

dvd burner for those who still need that.

cpu cooler was an older scythe model forgot which but pretty big, fan replaced by a noctua fan (allmost completely silent).

case is an older coolermaster in good condition from back when pc cases still had both dvd and floppy cartridges (easy mount system with snap locks color is black).

im selling it cheap cause i dont really need another pc at this time and it is a good starting point for someone who wants to tinker with upgrading parts in it. It can take the same 1680v2 xeon my other pc uses which is the most powerfull cpu you can upgrade to with the X79 chipset anyway (it is also unlocked so can be overclocked quite a bit and the 1680v2 has hyperthreading). The board can take a max of 128gb ddr3 ram. despite its age it works really well with a 1080ti might even be ok for one of the lower 2000 rtx models like the 2060 but above that i suspect you will hit some bottlenecks. one downside to this board is that it is not really geared toward an nvme ssd build though you can use a pcie riser card you cannot boot from it as the factory bios has no boot block for nvme, there are bios modifications out there to enable that if you feel comfortable with a thirdparty doing it (some even have bifurcation mods to allow multiple bootable nvme cards).

the built in realtek soundcard is quite ok and delivers 7.1 channel sourund sound.

the board sadly only has 2 usb3 headers so if you use a lot of gear needing high usb speeds get a pcie usb 3.1 riser card or a hub.

the board has quite a few usb2 headers and also E-SATA outlets, it is also one of the few boards that still supports both ps/2 keyboard and mice, most only support one or the other.

EDIT: the cpu cooler was the grand kama 2 from scythe :)  it is actually quite good for a budget cpu cooler, only downside is that the copper heatpipes are not plated so they tend to get a dull look after a while.

On 12/29/2022 at 2:17 AM, nbohr1more said:

However, the tavern in BCD is still stubbornly stuck at 40FPS

Huh, I'm getting 270 fps here.

wiKXtev.png

EDIT: I wanted to use hwinfo and rivatuner to see if I'm GPU or CPU limited in this situation but since rivatuner decided to stop displaying in game, I'll have to infer from other things.

And based on the coil whine from the GPU, I'd say I'm at 100% gpu usage in this scene.

On 12/31/2022 at 8:22 AM, AluminumHaste said:

Huh, I'm getting 270 fps here.

wiKXtev.png

EDIT: I wanted to use hwinfo and rivatuner to see if I'm GPU or CPU limited in this situation but since rivatuner decided to stop displaying in game, I'll have to infer from other things.

And based on the coil whine from the GPU, I'd say I'm at 100% gpu usage in this scene.

Hmm. Now I have to evaluate a performance regression. 2.10 gives me over 90FPS in this same scene...

9 hours ago, nbohr1more said:

Hmm. Now I have to evaluate a performance regression. 2.10 gives me over 90FPS in this same scene...

HAH!

Now r_shadowMapSinglePass 1 is slower than 0 ( disabled ). I'm now over 70FPS in BCD tavern. Gonna verify further.

• 2 months later...
7 hours ago, Melkesideck said:

Operating System Windows 11 Pro
- CPU Intel 11900k
- System RAM 32 GB
- Video Card Asus 3090
- Video Drivers 531.29 Nvida
- Experienced Performance, No problems with Dark Mod graphics settings on full everything on max @ 40-50 fps 

Fps uncapped under advanced settings?

On 1/4/2023 at 3:43 AM, nbohr1more said:

HAH!

Now r_shadowMapSinglePass 1 is slower than 0 ( disabled ). I'm now over 70FPS in BCD tavern. Gonna verify further.

No (RTX 3060)

default:

https://i.postimg.cc/zGChP87G/0.jpg

single pass:

https://i.postimg.cc/CMRmrnqM/1.jpg

Edited by lowenz

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

11 hours ago, Melkesideck said:

Operating System Windows 11 Pro
- CPU Intel 11900k
- System RAM 32 GB
- Video Card Asus 3090
- Video Drivers 531.29 Nvida
- Experienced Performance, No problems with Dark Mod graphics settings on full everything on max @ 40-50 fps 

Which resolution are you running? That's not a good framerate for that hardware.

I get above 100 on full HD with almost everything on max, except anti-aliasing (16x is a complete performance killer, I left it at 8x), with a i5-11600K and a RTX 3060 Ti.

Edited by chakkman

On 4/1/2023 at 11:36 AM, lowenz said:

Yeah, stgatilov fixed the performance regression before 2.11 release.

• 5 months later...

HP Elitedesk 800 G3 with i5 6500, 8gb dual channel , 256Gb SSD and 1 GB VRAM allocated to intel skylake integrated graphics. The result was disappointing, i got all-time low fps in TDM, stutters all time, my lowest fps was 7-8 fps and the highest i can get was 70 iirc.

Thinkpad T480(yep i know business laptop isn't supposed to run games and i use it mainly for development purposes) with core i5 8250u , 8gb ram and 512GB SSD : minor improvement from above spec, probably around 5-6%

Ryzen 3 3200G APU with 8GB dual channel 2666mhz DDR4 RAM, 1GB VRAM and 512 nvme SSD+ 512GB SATA SSD : able to hit above 60-80+ fps without much effort

Edited by taffernicus
minor edit

0x237553415B315D3741

yeah the earlier intel integrated gfx chipsets were pretty bad for gaming on 🙄 the skylake as such is an excellent gaming cpu but not using the integrated gfx. even a secondhand 970 gtx would give a major improvement despite being several generations behind the current gfx card lineups. for the moment its maybe better to use the ryzen model for gaming while delegating the skylake to development ?.

19 hours ago, revelator said:

yeah the earlier intel integrated gfx chipsets were pretty bad for gaming on 🙄 the skylake as such is an excellent gaming cpu but not using the integrated gfx. even a secondhand 970 gtx would give a major improvement despite being several generations behind the current gfx card lineups. for the moment its maybe better to use the ryzen model for gaming while delegating the skylake to development ?.

Yep using ryzen setup for the time being is reasonable given it has more capability to run this game . I am planning to wipe out all games from my elitedesk 800 g3 tower pc and using it merely for development and low power home server. Usually you don't dwell about GPU upgradeability when buying prebuilt desktop until you have to and you subsequently start to think "why did i buy this pc instead of custom-built pc and why did i go <your tiny form factor choice> route" ? . This is happening to me right now LMAO. i become more dissastified with the performance outcome and i am having an urge to enjoy more graphic demanding games. The good news is i went to full-tower form factor so i didn't have to think much about low profile GPUs.

But at this point another interesting problem has come up : Finding a right PSU for HP prodesk or elitedesk(especially the one which is rated at 250 or 300 watt) is a major pain since power supplies tend to be proprietary for HP prebuilt PC thus you can't just throw in any PSUs available on the market. The same goes for dell optiplex and lenovo thinkcentre PC

Edited by taffernicus
minor edit

0x237553415B315D3741

oh aye that was allways one major problem with prebuilts from those lineups, atleast it is not an old ibm where even the cards where non standard 😁 atleast a few of the hp line does take an ordinary PSU but it seems that model is a workstation and uses a pretty non standard PSU so delegating it to development only would indeed be a good idea as an upgrade is pretty hard to come by. i did dig this one up though and it should fit :) ->

Partnumber 913290-001 

Description GNRC, PSU 500W, 90% EFF,800 TWR

sadly thats about the largest one for that model but should be enough to drive a 1080 ti as that is what the special elitedesk 800 this PSU is from was fitted with. the board is pretty much the same. you can order it here if you want https://parts.hp.com/hpparts/Default.aspx?mscssid=

just enter the part number.

• Like 1

heh come to think of it i also owned an old hp workstation tower model that was an absolute nightmare to upgrade too. this model had rambus memory modules and some horrid onboard gfx card which i couldnt even upgrade with an agp model since the board only had PCI slots 🤣 it came with windows 2000 server installed but i found out it also ran win98 so i retrofitted it as a monster retro computer with dual voodoo2 cards since those were quite a lot faster than the onboard card. damn thing sounded like a jetplane because the rambus memory got insanely hot hehe. the memory modules were also rather pricey but i managed to get about 16 gb slammed in there and still it was slow as molasses sigh. i sold it to some guy who just liked that it was uniq for a pittance.

the 16 gb ram was not even needed for a win9x pc since it could only use about 3 gb's but it still ran win2k at the time i installed them so i left them in.

🤣 starfield running on a R9 290X at first it crashed a lot so i decied to have a look out there to see if it was at all possible and heh a small mod called potato mash (basically just optimized ini files and a dx wrapper) and now it runs. turns out that this game has some rather buggy interactions with dx12 (found out by the guy who develops vkd3d-proton) and turning off the shadows and a few other things lets it run on even this old card.

not getting earth shattering fps mind you but its playable 😁 i could even push it into medium and still play at 30 somethingsish fps but high was to much. looks quite good still even with a good deal of these effects off.