The Dark Mod Forums

No sound after installing a mission under Linux

Ladro

Hello!

I have to say that TDM it's even a LOT BETTER then what i expected!

You guys made an INCREDIBLE work, really really thanks! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

That said (it will be never enough!), i have a little problem: as described in subject, when I install a news mission from the main menu, and the Mod exit and restart automatically, after the qwuick restart i have no sound at all. Of course if i quit and re-enter in the TDM, the sound works and the mission is well installed, so i can play without any problem, but i think maybe this a little bug to track :-)

My configuration: Ubuntu 9.04 - 32 bit - no Pulse audio - Athlon X2 @3Ghz, 4 GB DDR2, ATI HD2600 with latest proprietary Catalyst driver, etc etc..

Any suggestion?

I've played TDM on Ubuntu 8.10 and 9.04 32bit and 64bit, as well as under Mandriva 2009.1 32bit and 64bit, and can't remember ever having that issue. I've had other sound issues (which is why I am on Mandriva currently), but none caused by TDM.

One thing you could do is after the restart and you have no sound, bring up the console (tilde key) and scroll up (mousewheel) till you see the error messages related to ALSA, and see if that helps. If you can't figure out the messages post it here and we'll try to help.

• Like 1

One thing you could do is after the restart and you have no sound, bring up the console (tilde key) and scroll up (mousewheel) till you see the error messages related to ALSA, and see if that helps. If you can't figure out the messages post it here and we'll try to help.

This is the error from Doom3 console on reload:

Warning: CVar 's_driver' declared multiple times with different initial value

Then a list of about 10-20 sounds with error, a list the first one the others are the same:

Warning: file def/weapon_pistol2.def, line 103: entity def 'weapon_pistol' previously defined at def/weapon_pistol :48

I hope it can helps ;)

during DOOM 3 initialization...

WARNING: CVar 's_driver' declared multiple times with different initial value

WARNING: file sound/tdm_sfx_impact.sndshd, line 425: sound 'small_metal_impact' previously defined at sound/tdm_sfx_impact.sndshd:77

WARNING: sound subsystem disabled

Sound works every time if I have Steam running in the background. Exit the steam client and the bug is instantly reproducable with both ALSA and Pulse audio sound systems.

• Like 1

I get those same Warnings about s_driver, and sound works fine here. Can you post the info about dlopen(libasound....). See mine below for reference. You can use the conDump command in the console to dump the console output to a text file (eg, conDump nosound.txt). You will find the file in the directory of the currently installed FM.

dlopen(libasound.so.2)
asoundlib version: 1.0.19
Alsa is available
------ Alsa Sound Initialization -----
opened Alsa PCM device default for playback
device buffer size: 5461 frames ( 21844 bytes )
allocated a mix buffer of 16384 bytes

peispud, you wouldn't by chance be running Doom 3 with wine or Cedega, would you? Ladro, are you using Steam as well?

dlopen -

dlopen(libasound.so.2)

asoundlib version: 1.0.21a

Alsa is available

device buffer size: 5644 frames ( 67728 bytes )

allocated a mix buffer of 49152 bytes

The easiest way to generate console output is to simply run ./doom3 in Konsole from your doom3 directory.

Edited by peispud

dlopen -

dlopen(libasound.so.2)                                  

asoundlib version: 1.0.21a                              

Alsa is available                                      

device buffer size: 5644 frames ( 67728 bytes )        

allocated a mix buffer of 49152 bytes  

The easiest way to generate console output is to simply run ./doom3 in Konsole from your doom3 directory.

Is this the output when you have no sound?

I get those same Warnings about s_driver, and sound works fine here. Can you post the info about dlopen(libasound....).

This is shell log on reloading darkmod (when the program install a new mission and he reload the global mod automatically) and the sound stop working :

dlopen(libasound.so.2)
asoundlib version: 1.0.18
Alsa is available
ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:1008:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) unable to open slave
snd_pcm_open SND_PCM_STREAM_PLAYBACK 'default' failed: Device or resource busy
dlclose
WARNING: sound subsystem disabled

--------------------------------------
----------- Alsa Shutdown ------------
--------------------------------------

As said, if i launch the mod from scratch, the sound is working perfectly, only if i install new mission he stops (on reloading automatically the mod).

peispud, you wouldn't by chance be running Doom 3 with wine or Cedega, would you? Ladro, are you using Steam as well?

No, i'm not using Steam, never installed. I use native Doom3 X86, latest client.

I'm seeing other minor bugs on the general mod, like system's video gamma settings and mouse sensibility settings not restored correctly on exit from TDM.

I open a new thread for this or it's not necessary?

Anyway, thanks a lot for your support, i LOVE TDM, it's incredible how cool it is!B)

Edited by Ladro

Definitely not a TDM problem, it sounds like the sound driver hasn't fully released from the previous run. I wonder if it would be possible to insert a longer delay between restarts? greebo? Tels? Anyone?

Also, I've noticed several ATI graphics card users having sound issues, and I'm wondering if the graphics driver is partly (if not fully) to blame.

A quick search tells me that ATI does have the Catalyst AI in the linux drivers, so if it's running try turning that off and see if it helps (it does help turning it off under Windows).

• Like 1

Definitely not a TDM problem, it sounds like the sound driver hasn't fully released from the previous run. I wonder if it would be possible to insert a longer delay between restarts? greebo? Tels? Anyone?

I think too it's a delay problem or somthing with the release of the sound device subsystem, because, as said, the first launch of TDM works flawlessy. The problem is coming *only* o installing new mission, after the automatic relaunch of TDM.

A quick search tells me that ATI does have the Catalyst AI in the linux drivers, so if it's running try turning that off and see if it helps (it does help turning it off under Windows).

I just opened a thread about that :-)

Turning off the A.I. in Catalyst for Linux, solved any Graphic problem for me (now water effect works, i'm very happy!). Also the loading time of the mission it's dramatically shorter now ;)

But the sound problem on Mission installing, remain B)

Edited by Ladro

There is no custom delay possible right now - but just quitting and restarting Doom 3 manually should do the trick as well, shouldn't it? The FM stays installed when using tdmlauncher.

Yeah but he said that already and the manual restart is very cumbersome. Just for the record, I got the same issue, but never thought of reporting it before. For me a d3 restart is always painful, because on exit it forgets to reset the screen, so I need to CTRL+ALT+PLUS to get it back to the normal resolution (and sometimes it even "forgets" the mouse).

So adding a 1second or so delay to tdm_launcher would probably make us happy. :)

• Like 1

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Yeah but he said that already and the manual restart is very cumbersome. Just for the record, I got the same issue, but never thought of reporting it before. For me a d3 restart is always painful, because on exit it forgets to reset the screen, so I need to CTRL+ALT+PLUS to get it back to the normal resolution (and sometimes it even "forgets" the mouse).

So adding a 1second or so delay to tdm_launcher would probably make us happy. :)

In fact it's not a terrible issue, but just annoing e rude to exit and re-enter on the mod just to make sound working.

Rather then that, I hope in the far future to make a more subtle mission installer that do not need to exit from the game and re-enter, or, at least, to make an image/video loading that cover this re-start.

Anyway I can play TDM so i'm already very very happy! ;-)

Thanks Greebo for you super cool work on coding !

Your username is "tdm_tracker"? Would you mind if I rename that to Ladro?

Yes it was "ladro", but the mail registration was never sent to me, i don't know why (my e-mail it's working 100%, maybe the send-server it's blocked as spam, i don't know) :-(

So i created a new username, yes it's "TDM_tracker", and now it works :-)

You can delete "ladro" account, if you want.

Thank you for your support and really sorry for confusion generate by me.

I'm going to rename the tdm_tracker account to Ladro, as "tdm_tracker" is not really my preferred choice for a username on the TDM Bugtracker.

Perfect!

Thank you so much, and sorry another time for the confusion.

• 3 weeks later...

This issue will be resolved in TDM 1.01. You'll be able to specify an optional delay between restarts by setting the console variable tdm_fm_restart_delay. TDMLauncher will receive this value as command line argument and will sleep before launching another process.

This issue will be resolved in TDM 1.01. You'll be able to specify an optional delay between restarts by setting the console variable tdm_fm_restart_delay. TDMLauncher will receive this value as command line argument and will sleep before launching another process.

In the name of all Linux users: thank you so much Greebo! :D