The Dark Mod Forums

what's in the works ?

peispud

There'll be some that will be hosted on Komag's TDS site, that's for sure. I think that thiefmissions and the Circle would probably accept them as well.

Ha! So what if I am, huh? Anyways, I work better when I'm drunk. It makes me fearless! If I see a bad guy, I'll just point my sword at him. And saaaaaay "HEY! Bad guy! You're not s'pposed to be here! Go home or I'll stick you with my sword...'til you go...'Ouch I'm dead!' Ahahahah (hic) See? Ain't no one gonna be messin with old Benny."

I'm also interested to see how many builders are currently working on missions. I can recall the chaotic early days of Thief FMs where mission hosting was uncertain and you were never sure if something was just around the corner. Now there are several searchable databases and threads for upcoming / in progress missions.

Here's my sales pitch:

I am currently working on a tomb raiding mission tentatively titled "Tomb of Horrors" (R.I.P. Gary Gygax) that I hope to have completed by January. If I'm really motivated, possibly earlier. Dark Radiant is a beautiful thing...so much easier than DromEd.

-DS:12

--- Author of:

Tomb of Horrors (coming January 2011)

I bet there's a lot of people starting to learn how to map. In a couple of months we might see the first ones :)

Even BrokenArts is dropping hints that she wants me to work with her to make one...   She's never done anything in a map editor, and I've done little more than the tutorials with Dromed and Dark Radiant. :blush:

I wonder how long it takes so we can have more missions! :P

I bet there's a lot of people starting to learn how to map. In a couple of months we might see the first ones :)

There's so much anticipation around when there'll be more that I wouldn't dare to release one first. My first ever mission doesn't need THAT much scrutiny.

I'll probably end up cooking something up that I'm kind of happy with and hide it behind the release of a relative heavyweight.  :D

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

If it gets to that point we can certainly add another forum. At the moment one is probably enough.

Here's my sales pitch:

I am currently working on a tomb raiding mission tentatively titled "Tomb of Horrors" (R.I.P. Gary Gygax) that I hope to have completed by January. If I'm really motivated, possibly earlier. Dark Radiant is a beautiful thing...so much easier than DromEd.

-DS:12

You know that Purah's FM Calendra's Legacy did a version of Tomb of Horrors, right? I think it's still cool if you do one ... It's like a different interpretation/inspiration of something. But you should know that that one is out there, too (and in a famous FM) and might play it if you haven't already -- But granted he took big liberties with it and took it in a different direction. Anyway, someone would mention it eventually, and this may be old news to you. But yeah, I'm interested in seeing a Dark Mod version since everybody loves Gygax and that module is sort of historic. B)

******CALENDRA'S LEGACY v 1.a******

[...]

Special Thanks to:

[...]

- Gargy Gygax for writing the Tomb of Horrors (an antique AD&D module that inspired

and provided some artwork for Arkhyn's Tomb in Mission #1)

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Ha! I had no idea about that. I once started a Dark Mod map (a couple years ago!) to recreate The Sunless Citadel, but I didn't get further than the first few rooms, and those were only very basic.

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

You know that Purah's FM Calendra's Legacy did a version of Tomb of Horrors, right? I think it's still cool if you do one ... It's like a different interpretation/inspiration of something. But you should know that that one is out there, too (and in a famous FM) and might play it if you haven't already -- But granted he took big liberties with it and took it in a different direction. Anyway, someone would mention it eventually, and this may be old news to you. But yeah, I'm interested in seeing a Dark Mod version since everybody loves Gygax and that module is sort of historic. B)

Liberties are needed, since ToH is a very think-outside-the-box-or-die kind of affair; much of it would not translate well to a computer game. Now if someone did Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan or something inspired by it - that would be something.

BTW, a bit of odd technical trivia on Arkhyn (the demilich of CL):

He is technically a door. Yes, you heard it right. The "rise into the air" effect was created using the "slidy door" property.

Dromed's full of mysteries. ^_^

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved