Remaking previous Thief missions

dude#73

49 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like FM authors to remake:

• TDP/GOLD
    • TMA
    • TDS
    • None-concentrate on new stuff

It'd be hard to remake the official campaigns for TDP, TMA and TDS without infringing copyright. However, the best of the fan missions can probably be remade (if you get the author's permission). I don't see Eidos letting The Dark Mod live to contend with Thief 4 if FM makers start copying content out of the Thief games.

Ha! So what if I am, huh? Anyways, I work better when I'm drunk. It makes me fearless! If I see a bad guy, I'll just point my sword at him. And saaaaaay "HEY! Bad guy! You're not s'pposed to be here! Go home or I'll stick you with my sword...'til you go...'Ouch I'm dead!' Ahahahah (hic) See? Ain't no one gonna be messin with old Benny."

I agree with Stormbringer. Also, the mod has evolved beyond mere reproduction and become a creative exercise in its own right. To spend time copying other (copyrighted) work doesn't relly fit the spirit of what's been accomplished so far.

Besides, I'm sure we'd all rather experience something new; hands up if you haven't played TDP/TMA to death.

Agreed! But still, an advanced graphics "Life of the party" would simply be awesome!! I can't imagine though that one would get it running at acceptable framerates with that open map-layout (not easy to place proper portals in rooftop missions). At least not at a high level of detail with cool lighting and stuff... :)

Are there any plans to remake previous Thief missions/campaigns?

I don't understand why people would want to play the same missions over and over again. This is a chance to do something fresh, and new...full of surprises.

The original missions are what they are, and would not be the same in TDM anyway. Play them as they were intended in the original and concentrate on new missions here.

A lot of the older missions relied on quirks in DromEd as well, I have to add. You *may* be able to replicate them in DarkRadiant (I dunno, I never really got into DromEd).

Ha! So what if I am, huh? Anyways, I work better when I'm drunk. It makes me fearless! If I see a bad guy, I'll just point my sword at him. And saaaaaay "HEY! Bad guy! You're not s'pposed to be here! Go home or I'll stick you with my sword...'til you go...'Ouch I'm dead!' Ahahahah (hic) See? Ain't no one gonna be messin with old Benny."

It might be fun if people did some "inspired by" FMs, where they use a familiar setting, but they had a different story and some surprises. But honestly, I think I'd be happier if authors concentrated on completely original work. The re-makes people even made in Dromed generally sort of fall flat as missions (some were good, the ones that had new stories), and no one ever did it with TDS (did they?). But original FMs are always fresh and just the fact you're venturing into unknown territory makes them exciting. Even if it isn't the best FM, you want to know where it's going.

Edit: What I was really thinking about, also, is that The Dark Mod has its own setting, too. It's set in the city of Brigeport with its own districts and factions and intrigues you can read about in the wiki. Authors can do as they like. But what I really hope for is that they get inspired and start filling out a new canon and giving life and breath to this new world that's ours for the taking. It's basically our responsibility to give this new world life, and I hope authors take up the challenge.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

I have already re-created some very large swaths of the City from various original Thief missions and knit them together to form a HUGE city area, but it's very plain and basic, just using the original squared off building shapes directly translated from Dromed. It IS indeed extremely huge and somewhat cool to run around in.

I used it for some testing purposes (run speeds and timing comparisons between the engines to help us set movement speeds, and also to test how large an area can be constructed, lit, path-finding over long distances, etc), but I don't ever plan on making a real mission out of it all.

Here's what I combined into a single huge city area map:

- Lord Bafford's Manor

- Assassins

- Undercover

- Song of the Caverns

- The Haunted Cathedral

- Return to Cathedral

- (plus the Stonemarket/St Edgars section from TDS)

Maybe someday I'll work on it some more as a hobby and post so videos or something ;)

here's a mile-high bird's eye shot of the area, a huge 4000x3000 pic:

http://www.shadowdarkkeep.com/oddpics/Komag_city_huge.jpg

the black walls all over are basically section blockers so I can vis-portal the area for performance and engine handling purposes. And, as you can see, some sections are really just rough outlines at this point.

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

Komag: even if an ultimately futile exercise, that's very impressive! Maps of that size, with more detail, would be the ultimate rooftop daydream.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

I have already re-created some very large swaths of the City from various original Thief missions and knit them together to form a HUGE city area,

Now that's what I'm talking about. In the other thread I started about having a common area. Something like that. a nice big area to flesh out.

As far as the black areas are concerned, would it be possible to just use taller buildings you can't see past to shorten the viewable distance the renderer has to work with?

Edited by Alacritous

I don't understand why people would want to play the same missions over and over again. This is a chance to do something fresh, and new...full of surprises.

The original missions are what they are, and would not be the same in TDM anyway. Play them as they were intended in the original and concentrate on new missions here.

I can't agree more.

I'm pretty sure that releasing such a map would be in breach of copyright law. Not in favour.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.