The Dark Mod Forums

Model Textures Setup.

New Horizon

All darkmod models are now located in the "darkmod/models/darkmod/" folder. This is to keep our models separate from the regular D3 assets. Mappers will need to replace the models in their maps with the new versions when next they update CVS.

models/chars, models/md5, and models/weapons, have not been moved.

Please use the following guide when uploading models in the future.

models/darkmod/architecture -- pillars, ladders, prefab houses, etc

models/darkmod/architecture/windows -- outdoor and indoor windows

models/darkmod/nature -- rocks, mushrooms, non-potted plants

models/darkmod/nature/trees -- All trees or stumps

models/darkmod/door_related -- handles, keys, and door knockers

models/darkmod/weapons -- all player and AI weapons

models/darkmod/player_equipment -- potions, flashbombs, lockpicks, mines, etc

The following are all subfolders of

models/darkmod/props:

models/darkmod/props/furniture -- any furniture not covered below (armoire, desks, bookshelves etc)

models/darkmod/props/furniture/seating -- chairs, sofas, stools

models/darkmod/props/furniture/tables -- end tables, dining tables, etc

models/darkmod/props/furniture/beds -- beds

models/darkmod/props/fireplace -- logs, tools, racks, heat shields, prefab fireplaces

models/darkmod/props/kitchen -- utensils, pots, food, dishes, water pump, etc

models/darkmod/props/decorative -- vases, potted plants, statuettes, globe, etc

models/darkmod/props/decorative/wall -- paintings, banners, curtains, animal heads, etc

models/darkmod/props/decorative/oversize -- fountains, statues, etc

models/darkmod/props/loot -- anything that is typically loot: coins, gold vases, purses, gold goblets, etc

models/darkmod/props/lights/extinguish -- any lights that can be put out

models/darkmod/props/lights/non-extinguish -- any lights that cannot be put out

models/darkmod/props/containers -- crates, chests, barrels

models/darkmod/props/mechanical -- boilers, clocks, generators,

models/darkmod/props/mechanical/pipekit -- pipes

models/darkmod/props/tools -- shovels, brooms, pick-axe, etc

models/darkmod/props/musical -- any musical instrument, viktrolas

models/darkmod/props/dungeon -- chains, manacles, torture devices

models/darkmod/props/wearables -- slippers, hats, spectacles (non-loot), armour

models/darkmod/props/junk -- broken objects, chair legs, scrap wood, etc

models/darkmod/props/graveyard -- skulls, bones, tombstones, crypts, etc

models/darkmod/props/readables -- books, scrolls, signs, plaques

models/darkmod/props/misc -- anything that doesn't fit elsewhere, like rope, a wagon, etc.

Essentially, the skins for all the models are dropped into a single repository models/darkmod/props/textures. This way you could have your the lwo model itself in China but as long as it points to models/darkmod/props/textures...we're cool.

post-5-1111097678.jpg

Okay, there is really nothing too complicated about how the models are now setup. I tried to simplify the process so that if we decide to reorganize the models in the future, it won't require moving all the skins too.

1. Model resides in its own folder. In this case models/props/decorative/decorative_oversized

2. Textures are stored in models/darkmod/props/textures

3. Material files should look like this.

I think the screenshot below is out of date.

Your material entries can be named anything you want, as long as they're located in a file somewhere in the darkmod/materials folder, the engine will find them.

The last time we went through a model reorganization, the material entries listing full paths became annoying and confusing, because the paths weren't accurate anymore.

To avoid that, and just cut down on the amount of clutter in the material files, we decided to name material entries by 'tdm_[name]' where name is something related to the model (not necessarily the model name).

That entry is then placed in the material file that corresponds to the folder that the model is in. For example, the material for a chair would go in the "seating.mtr" file, and look like this:

diningchair2

{

wood

diffusemap models/darkmod/props/textures/dchair2.tga

bumpmap models/darkmod/props/textures/dchair2_local.tga

}

(not all our old entries have the 'tdm_' prefix)

All textures are placed in the same folder, models/darkmod/props/textures/

post-3-1140495556_thumb.jpg

Model software.

Each model should have this path. I'm not sure if all modeling software handles the texture paths the same, but this is how it looks in lightwave.

Take note that the _d is not needed at the end of the path. I saw a few models in my journey that came through like that. It causes the model to look fullbright all the time. :)

That's it.

post-3-1140461579_thumb.jpg

• 11 months later...

The tutorial has been updated to reflect the model reorg.

Please review to ensure future model submissions follow the new guidelines.

Material paths within models should now point to models/darkmod/props/textures.

I updated all existing models to this format. It keeps the material files looking clean and logical to use the same path for the material entry as the texture entry.

• 1 month later...
Each model should have this path. I'm not sure if all modeling software handles the texture paths the same, but this is how it looks in lightwave.

If I see good, you just rename surface as texture path? I dont know lightwave, byt in max al parts of models should be named as path to their textures. Sometimes all works good even if model parts names are short: fence01, knob02 etc but to avoiding black model syndrom I need to name parts in this bizzare way. :mellow:

• 6 months later...