The Dark Mod Forums

So, what are you working on right now?

Springheel

Looking really good Goldwell! The only minor crit I have is that the bricks in the second picture seem a bit too clean. Even just adding a mild decal like scattered_dirt_02 on top would probably get rid of the shininess.

yes exactly, i would love if DarkRadiant or even idtech 4 add a nice and easy way to give decals to surfaces, perhaps even a way to blend (or even paint) two materials together like you do on Cryengine 3 and UE4, this would be a tech that would revolutionize TDM map quality and realism imo.

something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6O4AgSwTmQ

Time for Demagogue to retort with his pro-T2 / con-T1 POV ? :)

Fight, fight, fight! :P

I believe at the time I'd have been in the opposite camp.

I wasn't as taken by T2, and Casing/Masks was no. 1 case in point. In one of them, I believe Casing, if you keep going you see unfinished rooms, and at one point I saw an electric lamp clipping in the floor. I remember thinking, come on, what is this?

FMs saved T2. Ah, I did think it was better for FMs and always advised back in the day for people to build on T2 and not TG when that was still a live debate. That was a long time ago now!

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

yes exactly, i would love if DarkRadiant or even idtech 4 add a nice and easy way to ... blend (or even paint) two materials together like you do on Cryengine 3 and UE4, this would be a tech that would revolutionize TDM map quality and realism imo.

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/15026-dr-ase-blend-exporter/?hl=%2Bblend+%2Bexporter

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

How the hell i forgot that!

What i said on that thread is indeed true that is really "thinking outside the box", fantastic, but even so i'm not seeing that being used that much, to dirty up a level i mean, maybe pinning the Thread could help?

Theres also the reason that even so is a fantastic trick it is not as user friendly has using a brush to paint directly on a surface like UE4 or CE3, the later even has a way to interactively blend two materials using a slider on the material editor.

Sorry for the offtopic but how difficult would it be to implement painting on DarkRadiant?

Edited by HMart

The problem is that the idTech4 map format is not supporting vertex blending. If you think the exporter is too complicated, you have to use a modelling program.

Applying decals is actually possible. You can find the materials in textures/darkmod/decals

Adding dirt decals to square, flat planes (like most walls) is extremely easy...there is even a create decal button in DR.

The problem is that the idTech4 map format is not supporting vertex blending. If you think the exporter is too complicated, you have to use a modelling program.

Ah, I didn't realise the engine couldn't pick up vertex colours from patches.

You just made me realise this is an issue for inlining of models to reduce entity count. I just checked the dmap code and yes it is a problem. If you inline a model that uses vertex color to blend textures, you'll lose one of the textures.

Ah, I didn't realise the engine couldn't pick up vertex colours from patches.

You just made me realise this is an issue for inlining of models to reduce entity count. I just checked the dmap code and yes it is a problem. If you inline a model that uses vertex color to blend textures, you'll lose one of the textures.

Hmm, maybe altering the map format to include vertex color is open for consideration again?

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Hmm, maybe altering the map format to include vertex color is open for consideration again?

It would be a big job -- maybe possible as a team effort. Only patches would be eligible, not brushes, which are made of planes and so can't be fixed to allow you to add verts in the middle of a face. If a team of people decided they did want to work on it, I'd volunteer to do the engine stuff -- fix dmap and the proc file and to check that our interaction shaders handle the vertex coloring ok (I think they do already). On top of that we'd need people to make a new painting UI for DR, plus supporting the new patch format and graphics, and someone to check and possibly change map loading. I have no idea how much work all of that is. Dmap would very likely be the easiest bit, it only has to copy a bit more data :)

• Like 2

In addition, all existing maps and prefabs would have to be converted to the new format. As there are ways to get this effect, either by using a modeling program or DR and my script, and we are talking about a visual only aspect of TDM of which we cannot pretell of how much it would be used, I don't think it is worth the effort.

Adding the possibility to create models in DR that use vertex painting could be more worth the effort, though.

In addition, all existing maps and prefabs would have to be converted to the new format.

I wasn't thinking of forcing existing maps to change. We could just define a new type of patch, the vertex-colored patch. Exsiting patches would work like they do now.

• Like 1

It's that time again...

b573b7e33c.jpg

La bank croissant part deux?!

• Like 1

So, which side office in Le Banque part 2 contains the key to start the grandfather clock countdown to open the door to the vault area?

• Like 1

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

@Capela those shots look fantastic! It makes me want to shoot a rope arrow into that balcony and climb up and explore!

Nice one! Brothel?

"My milkshake bringeth all ye gentlefolk to the yard. Verily 'tis better than thine, I would teach thee, but I must levy a fee."

"When Kleiner showed me the sky-line of New York I told him that man is like the coral insect—designed to build vast, beautiful, mineral things for the moon to delight in after he is dead."

https://soundcloud.com/paralytik