The Dark Mod Forums

So, what are you working on right now?

Springheel

(sorry for separate post, more on previous page)

models/lights/extinguisable/chandelier_6candles

Comes only with flames attached, so really its non-extinguisable because even if the separate light goes out those flames remain.

If above mentioned could work i will need to create a no-attached-flames version of this. (or maybe there is one i just didn't find)

Edited by _Atti_

Now working on Thief's Den 4 with a story which follows on from Heart. This is actually an FM by Sotha that was abandoned but when I saw it a few months back it seemed a shame to waste it. Sotha kindly gave me permission to complete and release it. It was a very raw city and mansion build and although with lots of potential I could see it would be a lot of work. Only now I've found time to look at it again. It would really be a huge effort to do a thorough job of reworking some of what is there so I'm compromising and trying to finish it in weeks rather than months with some rough edges but a decent-sized playable FM.

Story is that although Farrell got rid of the Heart he is still concerned he might have been affected by it adversely so he is seeking help from a renowned alchemist who dabbles in magic and potions and stuff. He'd heard of him from Sam so went to his place to see if he could find any information about the alchemist's whereabouts. There, Sam's daughter, Clara gave him the info and arranged for the gate to that quarter of the city to be opened temporarily so Farrell can get in. But that was suspiciously too easy and sure enough, Clara double-crossed Farrell (maybe she holds him responsible for Sam) and informs the city watch captain of that area so they are waiting for him.

Visually it can't compete with some of the glorious FMs that are being made now so I won't post any screenshots unless you twist my arm. Ouch! OK if you insist...

The inn-keeper has some dark secret but how to get in there? The city watch were expecting me to lodge there so are searching the streets all around...

post-400-127367638284_thumb.jpg

Best keep to the back streets...

post-400-127367639429_thumb.jpg

Nowhere more dangerous than around the city watch headquarters. Surely it would be insane to go near there, let alone break in?...

post-400-127367640422_thumb.jpg

The corrupt city watch captain no doubt has something to hide...

post-400-127367641491_thumb.jpg

And what is the crazy inventor up to?...

post-400-12736764284_thumb.jpg

Did I say the city watch headquarters was the most dangerous area? Sorry, I forgot ... the alchemist. wooo ...wooo. Can't just knock on his door with a prescription now can we? Wait a minute ... I was expecting a little corner shop not a high security mansion with elite guards! He seems to be doing alright for himself eh? Must be up to no good I'll be bound! Just another thief's den... (Well what did you expect? Track down the missionary doctor and steal his life savings before he wastes them on sick orphans?)

post-400-127367644441_thumb.jpg

Looking good Fids... will you be adding building facades to the edges of the map to give the illusion of being in the city etc..?And a trick you can use on the street lamps for fake shadow is a soot patch decal directly under the base of the lamp..

Edited by Bikerdude

We just discussed this internally, and the summary is basically that we're not happy with the current model. Frankly, I wouldn't be upset if the notion of Belchers slipped quietly into oblivion...they're such an obvious rip-off of Burricks, with no real-world comparison, that they're rather hard to justify.

Thats a shame, I was looking forward to putting a few of these in a map... :(

Looking good Fids... will you be adding building facades to the edges of the map to give the illusion of being in the city etc..?And a trick you can use on the street lamps for fake shadow is a soot patch decal directly under the base of the lamp..

It's pretty much all city walls around. I'm adding a few quick fixes (like the industrial skyline) but essentially I'm avoiding spending a lot of time 'improving' and want to finish it quickly. I'm fixing some outrageous textures but trying to discipline myself to leave most things I would normally not. Otherwise it could be months of improvements. I have two other FMs on the shelf I want to press on with... ;)

It's pretty much all city walls around. I'm adding a few quick fixes (like the industrial skyline) but essentially I'm avoiding spending a lot of time 'improving' and want to finish it quickly.

yeah, I'm getting to that point myself.. hahaha it never ends..

Press on!

While I can and do appreciate the exceptionally beautifully detailed missions when those come, that mission looks a sounds fun as is. There's plenty of room for all kinds of mission styles in my fms folder. Story, puzzle, gorgeous and epic all-of-the-above masterpiece... all good.

"A Rhapsody Of Feigned And Ill-Invented Nonsense" - Thomas Aikenhead, On Theology, ca. 1696

Dusted some forgotten modeling,uwving,texturepainting,moving into game memories.. the size need a little ..adjustment:D

Hah, awesome :)

Looks like you were worried about poly count, doubling the faces for the barrel and eyepiece would prolly not change performance really while making it look quite a bit better.

Thanks for the replies,hopefully more stuff will come.

Serp: Hm,i think when it will be as small as it has to be geometry wont mean that much, bigger problem is that the texture isnt seamless on each side on the barrel and it makes it obvious that its lowpoly, will correct that.

Ah yeah, for some strange reason (read: I just woke up) I was thinking it was meant to be some giant outdoor telescope, while now that I look at it, it doesn't make sense to even think that! Damn outside screenshot; Polycount is fine then :)

One little screenie I took earlier today in wide view because it felt good presence in game. But it is nothing really but a simple room in moonlight so I changed my mind and didn't post it. So ... changed my mind again, why not.

post-400-127395615635_thumb.jpg

Simple yet effective fids, you could add some moon rays though..(but then youd get stuck into a detailing loop like me, tweak this, change that.... lol)

On another note I have reached a milestone and Im quite pleased about it, I have been tweaking the overground part of my map and I have atlast attained the holy grail, max FPS over 99%+ of the map, there is just one spot only where the player is high up and can see a lot of the map and it drops to 45fps. But as this is going to be a bonus secret for the player to find Im happy with it as is. (considering it had dropped to 35fps in a lots of places, before the tweaks). In fact is you, Serps or Spings that have a low end gfx card that they could do a quick run around for me..?

And just for fun, another screenie..

post-496-127395803147_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bikerdude

Yeah but I'm trying not to get sidetracked remember? ;) I've about finished the first fix of the city and the story is forming in my head. I improvised an inventor today and going to try to make a combo numberwheel lock tomorrow. The main thing after that is to decorate the main mansion. Then objectives so I have a finishable FM and after that I can indulge polishing it up a little bit. I'm aiming to try to finish by start of June which is only 2 or 3 weeks.